Surprise!!!!! Fontana's gonna be windy.

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Surprise!!!!! Fontana's gonna be windy.

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Katy Nicholls wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Twice in recent years we've had to cancel because of wind. But we really don't like to talk about cancellations because of wind or rain. We run in the elements, and it takes extraordinary, dangerous, or impassable conditions for us to cancel. Simple unpleasantness or inconvenience isn't a good reason. And that slightly soggy PFM cancellation was 100% wrong and a mistake that we are still paying for.

Sunday is shaping up by forecasts to be MUCH MUCH better than Saturday. Saturday is going to be a challenge.

I guess we're about to make history. Just got this from AXWareORM:

"The Practice and Championship Event are cancelled due to current and anticipated unsafe conditions. Please see the message board for additional information."
Wind and or wind + cold temps have caused previous cancellations. However, in the 8 seasons I've been doing this I think the total of weather-related scratches numbers less than five.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Katy Nicholls wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Twice in recent years we've had to cancel because of wind. But we really don't like to talk about cancellations because of wind or rain. We run in the elements, and it takes extraordinary, dangerous, or impassable conditions for us to cancel. Simple unpleasantness or inconvenience isn't a good reason. And that slightly soggy PFM cancellation was 100% wrong and a mistake that we are still paying for.

Sunday is shaping up by forecasts to be MUCH MUCH better than Saturday. Saturday is going to be a challenge.

I guess we're about to make history. Just got this from AXWareORM:

"The Practice and Championship Event are cancelled due to current and anticipated unsafe conditions. Please see the message board for additional information."
Wind and or wind + cold temps have caused previous cancellations. However, in the 8 seasons I've been doing this I think the total of weather-related scratches numbers less than five.
Nice try PSCC. You don't think CASOC is going to fall for the old "canceled due to dangerous winds" trick do you? :gpower:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Nicole Wong
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

is it really cancelled? I got an email....

Important Event Information
Event Date 2009-01-11
Type Autocross
Location AAA Speedway
Site Open 06:30:00
Registration Closes 12:30:00
Regs/Driver 3
OLR Opens 2008-12-24 00:00:01
OLR Closes 2009-01-09 22:00:00
Site Registration 07:00:00
Entry Fee 30.00
Non Members 0.00
Info FEES:
Online registration...
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

KJ sent the email (I got it too) and the "who's online" section says that he is posting in Events right now.
Last edited by Christine Grice on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I talked with KJ who was out in Fontana trying to setup early. It was impossible for them. While they were meeting in the motorhome to discuss the weekend plan, they had to turn the motorhome into the wind as it was getting a little scary. Nothing would stay up and they were being pelted with not just sand but blowing pebbles, rocks and debris. Even if we could keep timing and cones up, its probably a danger to workers to have them on course turned away from where they should be looking trying to protect their faces from the debris.

Saturday's forecast is possibly worse than today. Sunday's forecast was the question. I looked at as many as I could when KJ called me. He'd read my post saying Sunday would be much much better. That came from Accuweather that is saying 19mph sustained for Sunday. Much better, maybe not much much (I admit to a little Sunday Cheerleading to keep attendance up). But on looking at other sources the call for only slight improvement Sunday. NOAA's forecast was pretty alarming for
the entire weekend.

This would appear from the forecasts and the High Wind Warnings issued for the Inland Empire to be a significant weather event. Not just a windy weekend in Fontucky.

With this information, KJ was leaning towards making a decision now rather than a minute by minute call in the early AM. Sounds like from the post on the registration site that they have made the call to cancel the entire weekend.

Sad, that we had to do that. KJ and crew had a great weekend setup for us with a killer Simanyi course I was itching to run.... Literally, my shoulder surgery scars are really itching.... But I agree with doing the call now. Its the right decision I think. Big kudo's to KJ for staying on top of things, consulting with people and many sources. Great to have another rock to look to as Event Chair/Core worker/EBoard.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

If sunday were to go, I'd have to get my camper and enclosed trailer over Cajon Pass saturday nite. I wonder if there's a tunnel? -- Bill
Nicole Wong
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

25mph - 40mph winds cancels an event?

As of 5:08pm

Saturday: Sunny and Windy. High 73F. Winds NE at 25mph to 40mph.

Sunday: Sunny and Windy. Highs in the mid 70's and lows in the mid 40's.
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Issued by The National Weather Service
San Diego, CA
1:22 pm PST, Fri., Jan. 9, 2009

... HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PST SUNDAY...

HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED IN NEVADA WILL CAUSE LOCAL STRONG GUSTY SANTA ANA WINDS THROUGH SUNDAY. GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE AND SPREAD SOUTH TODAY AND CONTINUE AT TIMES THROUGH SUNDAY. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE THROUGH AND BELOW MOUNTAIN CANYONS AND PASSES WHERE WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH ARE LIKELY. ISOLATED GUSTS TO NEAR 80 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH AND BELOW THE CAJON PASS AND IN THE SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE. WATCH FOR BROKEN TREE LIMBS... DOWNED TREES AND DOWNED POWER LINES. THE WINDS WILL ALSO MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR MOTORISTS WITH HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. THIS WILL IMPACT TRAVEL ON INTERSTATES 15... 10 AND 8 THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN PASSES. LOCAL VISIBILITY MAY BE REDUCED IN BLOWING DUST.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Not to mention that we all know that when it's windy in the general area, it's really windy at AAA Speedway.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer

Nicole Nagler wrote:25mph - 40mph winds cancels an event?

Consider these factors:

Stability of course elements
Timing errors because of blowing debris
Worker safety; workers need to be able to turn 360 degrees at times to watch cars. If wind-blown debris prevents that, it's a safety issue.
High winds makes it very difficult to hear the PA and communications between course workers.

:ugeek: 40 mph winds are a fresh gale: "Twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road."

Might not sound like much, but it's not a good situation for our sport.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

I remember watching Curt Luther run after his sunglasses (which flew off his head when he quit holding them there) across the CA speedway parking lot, never catching them. That was the last time we had to cancel an event due to wind.
~Christine Grice
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The awning ripped off the timing motorhome. While it was CLOSED!!! And on the other thread my comment about flying 55 gallon steel drums. Ouch.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

That reminds me of the story that dad tells of Nationals many years ago where the wind picked up overnight.

The next day there was a big rig awning that was all twisted up. Weird thing was they were missing one of those 55 gallon drums that they typically hold down the canopy with.

They found it when a guy who was paddocked on the other side of the big rig opened up his enclosed triler and found the barrel smack dab in the middle of the hood of his all original, one owner cobra.
~Christine Grice
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Yeah, Scotty B's rig? I heard litigation went on for a long time. And people learned about the incident from the SCREAMS of horror.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Christine Berry wrote:KJ sent the email (I got it too) and the "who's online" section says that he is posting in Events right now.
that's creepy.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Nicole Nagler wrote:25mph - 40mph winds cancels an event?

While 25 - 40 mph winds are nothing to laugh at, we were actually facing:
Tonight: Areas of blowing dust. Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Windy, with a north wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph.

Saturday: Areas of blowing dust. Sunny, with a high near 76. Windy, with a north wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph.

Saturday Night: Areas of blowing dust. Clear, with a low around 53. Windy, with a north wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.

Sunday: Areas of blowing dust. Sunny, with a high near 81. Breezy, with a north wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph.
I wasn't just trying to be funny mentioning big stuff flying over the motorhome. Seriously, we saw big stuff fly over the motorhome. (We're not sure what it was.) And the kart fence (big white/red part) hitting 25mph, easy. And all the gate fences on their side. And jumping out of the motorhome to catch the trashcans before they hit the cars. Dodging empty coke bottles as they whizzed by 4 feet off the ground.

We gave it our best shot at getting set up. In the end, triple cones were on their side and it was obvious that we wouldn't have a safe environment for the workers. Unfortunately, we just couldn't make it work. Thanks to everyone for the posts of encouragement and support.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

I drove up the 15 to the 10 this A.M. on my way to burbank. Holy cow it was blowin. I live in corona and when I left the house there was no wind. Got into Norco and it started, And it got stronger as I was headed to I-10.
Good call.
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

Anybody want to get some concrete practice for Nationals on Sunday?
http://www.sierrasportscars.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Christine Berry wrote:I remember watching Curt Luther run after his sunglasses (which flew off his head when he quit holding them there) across the CA speedway parking lot, never catching them. That was the last time we had to cancel an event due to wind.
1. I lost my hat the second I got out of the car. I didn't think it would ever be seen again. Ron Tsumura found it in the fence...
B. They weren't my sunglasses, they were someone elses that I saw flying by and I gave chase. I almost had them, after 50 yards or so, and then they just took off in a gust. I forget who then came and picked me up in a car, but we went to the edge of the lot to get them. They were destroyed beyond recognition. 1/4 mile across asphalt will do that to them...
iii. As someone who works a mile from the Speedway, the decision to cancel this weekend seems valid. It was really windy this morning and my lunch bag got blown out of my hand walking 50 feet into the office. It's supposed to be worse both days this weekend. I know we run in elements, but the wind is really more of a nightmare to deal with than the rain...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Tom Phillips
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

More than the discomfort of wind and cold, the safety of workers, drivers and spectators is the issue.
I was the SSS on Saturday, Renee on Sunday when she called the event last year. Freight trains slamming into the side of the motorhome was what the gusts of 60+ felt like. I was at an angle to the wind and the coach was still rocking 12"-18" at the roof after I let down the jacks. I can't imagine how the Ekstrands towing the 5th wheel would fair.
The real strange thing was there was NO wind to speak of going west on the 10 after passing the 15. But getting there was an E ticket ride in the motorhome hauling the trailer.
Thanks to the brave souls, KJ, Mike and whoever else was out there for set up. Decisions like this, and the immediate notification of the members, are really important for the overall well-being of CSCC. It just shows the Event Officials and Safety Stewards are looking out for all of us.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The toyhauler in the wind scares me more than a motorhome of the same height. Nothing close to the chassis weight or strength of structure. And much worse than a typical race trailer like the Clements.

I think Tom is right. I'm think extreme wind conditions are a far bigger threat to our events than rain. Rain brings up special problems we have to anticipate and watch closely like Lake Fontucky, but we can usually work through it. 50 mph gusts are asking for property damage at best and of course the safety concerns. You can't believe what will take flight. Those metal gates will fly! Where is the surface areas for lift???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I was out with them helping set up and I've never seen anything like it. I've been in a tropical storm, and this felt more violent at times. I got hit repeatedly by pea gravel moving at a high rate of speed (great way to exfoliate, BTW), and those oil-drum trashcans were blowing around like they were made of cardboard. Weird thing is when we started out dropping cones, it was not too bad. By the time we got 3/4 through the course it was horrible...it seemed to escalate in about ten minutes.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Desert weather changes rapidly and sometimes unexpectedly. The foolish learn the hard way. We're smart to learn the easy way. :thumbup:
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Can anyone suggest something like Priceline that allows one to cancel their room? I guess Karen can cancel the nice Hilton room that we got for tonight ... but there is a $25 fee ... on a $40 something room.

2005 ProSolo ... mild gusts:

Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

I don't know what it looks like in Fontana this morning but in Lakewood, it is absolute dead calm.....no wind at all.

For some reason when the Santa Ana's howl in other areas its calm here.
Thomas Smith