Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Is this a good BMW price?

Post by Bob Pl »

1999 M3 72k mi almost stock asking 12K?

I'm not close to BMW marketplace as I am to Corvette.

Any educated opinion appreciated.

:)

Any weak points on 1999 M3?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Is this a good BMW price?

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Bob Plante wrote:1999 M3 72k mi almost stock asking 12K?

I'm not close to BMW marketplace as I am to Corvette.

Any educated opinion appreciated.
That's actually not out of line. It's the mileage that keeps it from being too high of a price. I sold my Silver E36 M3 (99) for $10k even with 160k mi on the odometer. And if it's bone-stock that's even better. A modded car loses its value and if it's an M3 even more so. Also what color is it? Convertible? Coupe or Sedan and where is it located?
Bob Plante wrote:Any weak points on 1999 M3?
The 1997 and up to 99 M3s are best compared to 95-96 that have a 3.0liter inline six as opposed to 3.2 for the 97-99. Also 95s came WITHOUT traction control. As for weak points its more of a comparsion between chassis (E30 - E36 - E46 - E92/93) M3s. Plusses/Minuses on all.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

'95 was the only year with the 3.0. '96+ all had the 3.2.

Bob, if you want a great car with a wonderful set of "features" for an autocrosser, talk to Chris Teague! His car has no sunroof and no cruise control, and it's even optioned with the rare fixed (not fold-down) rear seat, adding to structural rigidity. It's a sedan, and weighs significantly less than most of the M3s out there.

Of course with the STU suspension on it, it's probably not the right solution for someone who's just going to drive it on the street...

Mike
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Thanks guys, I did talk to Chris, he's not selling last I talked to him.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Bob Plante wrote:Thanks guys, I did talk to Chris, he's not selling last I talked to him.
He could probably be persuaded right now...
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

Mike Simanyi wrote:...and it's even optioned with the rare fixed (not fold-down) rear seat, adding to structural rigidity.
I know for the E46's this added an incredible amount of torsional rigidity, iirc ~+30%. Chris's car sounds to be a truly unique example.
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Looked at it.

Needs tires all around, all 8 plus years old. Everything worked. Paint good but normal scratches & a couple door dings, LF qtr replaced, good paint match. Clutch seemed ok at 70k but probably due for replace in a year or 2. Brakes good. Driver bolster shows quite a bit of wear but not torn yet.

I got on it a few times, no C5Z so far as torque goes. I am so spoiled.

I emailed Tom about a car with history, but no reply so far.

Made offer & was declined. Waiting for a call back (maybe).

:thumbup:
Chris Teague
Car#: 60

Post by Chris Teague »

Bob Plante wrote:Thanks guys, I did talk to Chris, he's not selling last I talked to him.
I'm ready to sell at anytime now, I just haven't put out the ads yet. Let me know if anyone wants the details. Mike gave the quick summary. It's a 97 4-Door M3 with 69K miles, and I am the original owner. It is setup for STU, but I do have all the stock parts except the shocks which wouldn't have been any good anyway. Mine has decent Yokohama Neova AD07's, no door dings, pretty good paint. No sunroof, no fold down seats, and the 3.2 comes with the 3.23 gears.

Chris
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Chris Teague wrote:
I'm ready to sell at anytime now, I just haven't put out the ads yet. Let me know if anyone wants the details. Mike gave the quick summary. It's a 97 4-Door M3 with 69K miles, and I am the original owner. It is setup for STU, but I do have all the stock parts except the shocks which wouldn't have been any good anyway. Mine has decent Yokohama Neova AD07's, no door dings, pretty good paint. No sunroof, no fold down seats, and the 3.2 comes with the 3.23 gears.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Email the details & pictures & price to

b_plante@hotmail.com

and

fmils2@hotmail.com

Looking to pick up some kind of 3 series stick between now & next 6 weeks.

Thanks.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Very fast car ... didn't it win STU at the SCCA Wendover Tour a few years ago ... and didn't it do pretty well locally in SM ... before Casey's Camaro showed up?
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Yes Chris's M3 is very well sorted, and fast! I remember it paxed 2nd at an SD event. I've lost to it many times.

Also I got a ride home from SD in it once and was very impressed with the comfortable ride, then Chris told me the TC Kline double adjustable konis were set to with the compression still on firm.

I can throw in a somewhat used set of shaved Dunlops if you buy his car. ;)

Rick
Last edited by Richard Jung on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Very fast car ... didn't it win STU at the SCCA Wendover Tour a few years ago ... and didn't it do pretty well locally in SM ... before Casey's Camaro showed up?

2005 Atwater Tour
Trophy spots....
1.Chris Teague-M3
2.Rex Tener-M3
3. Steve Ekstrand-SRT-4
Behind us a bunch of Subies... :)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Bob if you're looking to buy Chris' car.............you won't be disappointed! When I was a student doing BMWCCA events, I'd always see Chris' car set wicked fast times and always be atop the times at BMWCCA events and in SCCA events. Very well sorted, balanced and a TRUE grocery-getter as it's a 4-dr sedan. :)
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Well it's in the ballpark, for sure, but my son Robert Jr. will be driving it. So I don't know if he'll go 4dr. You know how 21 yr old guys are.

Also looking at 330i's

I don't think it has to be an ultimate best autox car, just 3 series bmw.