It Lives!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Aaron McKinnon
Car#: 0

It Lives!

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

The 914 is finally back on the road. 1st gear is still a bit dodgy, but it's there... I probably will not make the 5/2-3 race as I'm gearing up for WCR '09 which is an all 914 event in So. Cal. The last day of which is held at Willow Springs on the short track. I've got a thoroughly used sway bar to sort out and install by then!

Can't wait to get back out there and see everyone on or before the June 13-14 event!

-Aaron
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Jeff Shyu

Re: It Lives!

Post by Jeff Shyu »

grats!

even in the best of times, the 901 tranny didn't have the smoothest 1st gear. just be happy that it engages.. :P

is there a link to WCR '09? kinda curious to see who's attending, and if i should head out there to meet some olepharts that i haven't talked to in 10 years.. :)
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First page has the list of attendees.

-Aaron
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Redline MT-90 or GM SynchroMesh friction plus MT lube was a big help in making the 2nd to 1st gear change on my balky Suby 5 speed.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Redline MT-90 or GM SynchroMesh friction plus MT lube was a big help in making the 2nd to 1st gear change on my balky Suby 5 speed.
i think everything that can be done, has been tried with the porsche 901 tranny, mako.. there's just no helping it. seriously. :unimpressed:
Steve Eguina

Post by Steve Eguina »

Congradulation Aaron.

May 17th there is a Porsche Events at El Toro. But sign up early as they fill quickly.

Even though some consider a 914's a NARP. The racers still love them :heyes:

Have Fun! Steve
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

914world must be the "other" branch that split off from the rennlist stuff.

i don't know many people from that. i think the only name i recongnize is steve iverson.. that's the really tall dude, right?
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

Oh man... I don't know many of them in person (yet). There's 2 big boards that split:

914club.com
914world.com

...and one smaller board:

clubnarp.com

There is a HUGE 914 Festival May 16-18 that includes a day at Streets of Willow on May 18th. So I'll be thrashing to make bushings for my uber ghetto replacement front sway bar before then (19mm Frankenstein bar - bring out your dead!).
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

And as for magical gear oil... The "special blend" is supposedly Swepco 201. Once I know I'm not gonna just scatter this one I'll be investing in some.
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Aaron McKinnon wrote:Oh man... I don't know many of them in person (yet). There's 2 big boards that split:

914club.com
914world.com

...and one smaller board:

clubnarp.com

There is a HUGE 914 Festival May 16-18 that includes a day at Streets of Willow on May 18th. So I'll be thrashing to make bushings for my uber ghetto replacement front sway bar before then (19mm Frankenstein bar - bring out your dead!).
yeah, i think that 914 club is the one brad roberts, dave darling, and my sister are on. though my sister hasn't been around much since school & pregnancy.

was hoping to see some of them down here. bummed to see that i just missed D&G's swap meet (i guess it's glenn + ?? now?)
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

Yup. Just missed it! That's where the "Frankenbar" is from. Not such a good deal after all I've been through getting it to work... Live and learn.
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i think i still have the pictures from the 1st Don & Glenn swap meet.

we had no less than 5 sawzalls on a donor 914. that was back in my stupid days where i tried to squeeze in 7 speakers in a 914 (despite not being able to hear anything over the engine anyways). next year, even more stupid with a turbo.

i miss the 914, but i don't miss being under the car more often than actually driving the car.
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

Wow! What a difference there is going from a non-adjustable, rubber bushing(ed), 15mm sway bar to this! Not only does the suspension feel more supple, but I seem to have more grip. I can't wait to run again!
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
John Edwards
Club: CASOC
Car#: 1

Post by John Edwards »

Aaron,

Glad to see you and a bunch of other 914 gearheads at Cars & Coffee this last weekend!

BTW, what did the guy say when you asked about trading straight across for the 300mph Bugatti? Ha..... }:)

John...
John Edwards (903)
Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine
(949) 631-6376
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

He said he'd think about it... And then for some reason punched me. ;)

I had a great time at Streets of Willow. The car chased down a full race 911 - 2.7L, full slicks, etc... He had an obvious power advantage, but with the combination of a great driver (Brad Roberts of 914club.com) and all the work I've put in he actually waved us by! Too funny... Mind you this is a 2056cc motor with mostly stock internals and used *everything* - even the brake pads!

Only went backwards once and did some farming once too. The one big "newbie" mistake I made was bleeding with Gunk Brand DOT3 fluid. Boiled it on the second run. Luckily Brad sent me to a race shop that was on campus. I came out with two bottles of AP 550 and bled the system. Car ran all day with good brakes then.

The car needs and an external oil cooler to stay alive at the track, I have all the big parts, just needs some fittings and line. I'm considering using the Summit Racing branded "Twist-Tite" line as the price is right.

All and all WCR2009 was pretty neat!
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

AP or Motul brake fluid for those hot track days. Better pads, too. :D
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

Car is running Pagid Orange on all 4 corners... Used of course!
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Aaron McKinnon

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

I have to give a shout out to John Edwards too... He did all the machining on the engine! Thanks for the good work John.
1974 2.0 Porsche 914