Stock Market

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Stock Market

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Damn........almost 400 point drop today, 250 yesterday, $4.50/gal of gas, 1 million homes in foreclosure.....no wonder attendance is down at Solo events!

Herr Ekstrand...care to explain what's going on? :)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: Stock Market

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The economy sucks and the market went up for no good reason yesterday.
The Israeli dude does smack talk this morning and freaks people out as oil was recovering anyway...
That spikes oil as nobody wants to be short over the weekend. The risk to the upside with bombs going off is worse than the risk to the downside.
The oil spike is unprecedented and just feels like it wipes out any hope for a non-recession or soft landing scenario.
Oh yeah.... And the Obama rally lasted like 6 minutes.

I was only up 2% for the week. Damn.... :king:

Is there actually going to be anybody shopping at the RV show this weekend???? :lol:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Larry Andrews
Car#: 0
Location: In the Santa Cruz mtns, with two chainsaws and a beer.

Post by Larry Andrews »

Obviously John Coffey.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Obviously John Coffey.
Nope, already got one and I just spent $280 filling it up. I'll be working tomorrow and then walking aorund a car show at the local high school. Sunday I've been asked to go out Buttonwillow to the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge and help out the Griggs guys.

I know is pisses you off Larry, but things are going pretty well for me right now. :mrgreen:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Damn Steve.....200+ drop on the DOW today??? $5/gal of gas just around the corner? Something's out of wack professor! The "BEARS" are running amok!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

From last Thursday to today I'm still up in the market.
What was the DJIA and the S&P doing again???

Sorry, had to gloat. When oil crashes I'll be hurting. I'm just not so sure it will ever return to the old days. I just don't see 1981 replaying. So, I have CVX, COP, DWSN, RIG, NOV, XTO, FWLT, and PWR in my portfolio. Along with FCX on the commodity side. I keep trimming them, but they grow so fast that they keep becoming outsized positions.

I could have gone far riskier and more leveraged with the energy plays, but I went for companies which should see great profits even at $75 crude. So, sure, in a crude correction those stocks will tumble. But that's a buying opt because ever quarter on earnings the P/E's and PEG ratios will become more and more ridiculous.

I'm also a little more risky in my trading portfolio in terms of sector overweighting than I would ever suggest being because I have other trusts locked up right now that are in cash. So, while I might be pushing close to 40% in energy related sectors right now, that is only against my other equities.

Hey, I'm the idiot who just bought a huge pickup and is shopping for a huge fifth wheel trailer.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

So let's see....market tanks again today (Dow Jones down 1.08%) and "DUBYA" wants to go drilling in more "holes" for "black gold"!!!
Giovanni Jaramillo

The market's broken Steve. Can you fix it??? (down 2.4% - 300 points)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

No idea how to fix....

I opened up .7% And I've been crushing the market through the slide down below 12000.
But today when things started getting bad, my stocks started turning. And now even with crude up $5.47 a barrel, my 30% energy based portfolio is straight matching the DJIA today. Maybe I'm down a little less but not much. That happens sometimes. I blame index funds and programmed trading.

My RIG and NOV shares are holding fairly solid, but the rest is pretty ugly today. My favorite stock, DWSN is getting jumped in the prison shower these past weeks. I don't quite get that one. It happens to that stock and it always roars back. Small float there and lots of momo that works both ways.

My best solution in bad times is to spend money as fast as you can since it isn't earning anything. :) So, we ordered the 335i Coupe today. ZPP/ZSP car. White with red/black leather interior.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:My best solution in bad times is to spend money as fast as you can since it isn't earning anything. :) So, we ordered the 335i Coupe today. ZPP/ZSP car. White with red/black leather interior.
Winn4R!!!!!1!!1!1 :thumbup:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm pretty excited.

The new truck totally exceeds my expectations. I have to smile when I drive it. And now Stacey will have her dream car, which just happens to be my dream car too. And the trailer. Happy times. Spending money is fun. We spent two decades together living like poor graduate students for a lot of it. Nice to splurge a little. Note that we haven't spent like drunken sailors though.... More like Happy Coast Guardsman. ;)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:My favorite stock, DWSN is getting jumped in the prison shower these past weeks.
ROTLMAO!!! I guess this is a good time for me to rollover my 401(k) into an T-IRA. I've never seen the DJIA this low since I started following the market last year.
Steve Ekstrand wrote:So, we ordered the 335i Coupe today. ZPP/ZSP car. White with red/black leather interior.
SWEET!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Down 354
Light volume all day then heavy volume closing sell off. I don't like that setup.

My portfolio recovered a bit relative to the market. Still I was down a little less than 2.5% on a down 3% day for the DJIA and 2.92% for the S&P and 3.33% for the NAZZ.

Ugly stuff.... But not the end of the world. 14K to 11K is a big correction. I don't think valuations despite poor economic outlooks are pricey at all. I'm not a raging bull. But I don't see the need to panic here. The guys getting air time right now talking of Dow 8000 and Dow 6000 are just fear mongering idiots looking for mic time.

Besides Barry H. Obama is the second coming of the pantheist savior, right? He will fix all. And with legs Armstrong back to autocrossing, I think George might need fixing. }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:2.92% for the S&P
Correction....2.94% but what's a few percentage points? :)
Steve Ekstrand wrote:The guys getting air time right now talking of Dow 8000 and Dow 6000 are just fear mongering idiots looking for mic time.
And panic amongst the herd will surely prove these talking heads right unforunately.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Nah.... It won't crash like that. [knock on wood]
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Huh what, I saw my name 8-)
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

We are very fortunate to have a man as distinguished as Barry Obama be the next president of these United States. I'm certain his insight will solve not only our problems here at home, but by the end of his term we'll be seeing interracial marriages between Jews and Arabs. I'm hoping one day i'll be able to kneel at his feet and kiss the ground he walks on. I know this hasn't been talked about in the press, bet he could, in my humble opinion, be the second coming you know who. So fret not, don't sell those stocks just yet. Obama's coming. :cry: :barf: :cry: :barf: :cry: :barf:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Grant Heathman

Post by Grant Heathman »

The new truck totally exceeds my expectations. I have to smile when I drive it.
So have you been able to get an MPG number from it yet? What gear did you get in the rear end?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

3.73 gears. I avoided the 4.10's like Barry H. Obama avoids the question.

First tank was 15.4mpg with a lot of short haul errand running. Second tank is awaiting for me to add the receipts together from the failed top off and calc it. A 150miles are so of towing out of 400 miles of errand running so, I'm not expecting it to be great.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Grant Heathman

Post by Grant Heathman »

does 3500 with the hemi diesel go into 4 cyl mode on the freeway when not towing or towing a very light load? (2k lbs) Do you think you will get 20 mpg when in 4 cyl mode? Any hyper-mile ideas?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The Hemi and the Diesel are completely seperate deals.

The cummins turbo diesel is 6cyls at all times. Its supposed to average approx 15mpg combined with 3.73 gears. After breakin that can improve some. The emissions crap apparently hurts mileage so, previous 5.9L versions are capable of much better mileage than the ultra clean Bluetec 6.7L.

So, I have spit out less emissions but burn more oil. Go figure. Sounds like the same logic that leads to Corn Ethanol subsidies.

The 5.7L gas Hemi V8's have MDS so without load they shutdown cylinders. That is supposed to improve things quite a bit.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:The Hemi and the Diesel are completely seperate deals.

The cummins turbo diesel is 6cyls at all times. Its supposed to average approx 15mpg combined with 3.73 gears. After breakin that can improve some. The emissions crap apparently hurts mileage so, previous 5.9L versions are capable of much better mileage than the ultra clean Bluetec 6.7L.
I used to knock down 20mpg in my 96 club cab 4x4 at 70mph. 18mpg at 80. My fathers 95 4x4 had an auto and would get 22. He probably drove around 65 though. He later got the 24valve (2000 model). It consistently got 2mpg less than the 12 valves. But it was a dually. Wish I still had that truck. It was my wife's main ride. 5'3" woman running around in that thing straight piped. Quite a site to see here fly through the gears.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

And Stacey has no interest in trying autox??? She seems like a natural!!!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

George Schilling wrote:We are very fortunate to have a man as distinguished as Barry Obama be the next president of these United States. I'm certain his insight will solve not only our problems here at home, but by the end of his term we'll be seeing interracial marriages between Jews and Arabs. I'm hoping one day i'll be able to kneel at his feet and kiss the ground he walks on. I know this hasn't been talked about in the press, bet he could, in my humble opinion, be the second coming you know who. So fret not, don't sell those stocks just yet. Obama's coming. :cry: :barf: :cry: :barf: :cry: :barf:
OK...I"m leaving the country. LOL

You're scaring me Georgie!

:o Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:And Stacey has no interest in trying autox??? She seems like a natural!!!
I'm working on her. But she doesn't like an audience.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins