October 24th 2009 SCNAX CUP is BACK!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Art Rinner
Car#: 83

October 24th 2009 SCNAX CUP is BACK!

Post by Art Rinner »

Get your teams together for the Oct. 24 SCNAX CUP V. We missed one year but were back strong with a new abbreviated format to fit the SCNAX Cup into one day.

The new format will have you driving each of the cars for 3 laps and your top time will count towards your teams Score.

Rules for SCNAX Cup V:

SCNAX CUP SWAP MEET CHALLENGE RULES:

1. Team Competition – 4 drivers, 4 cars, 1 day. Please designate a team name and captain.

2. Each team must consist of at least 3 different cars, the shared car must have been co-driven by two team members in at least (1) of their qualifying events otherwise there must be 4 different cars on the team. The cars on each team must be of at least two different “types”. The “types” of cars are FWD, RWD, AWD and Kart. Teams that include a kart are allowed to substitute like karts for driver fit purposes.

3. A driver’s handicap index is based on the average PAX differential to the top PAX driver for the three most recent championships the driver has participated in. This means a driver must have ran at least three championships in the last 12 months to be eligible to compete (San Diego and LA included). Each driver will be responsible for providing the results for calculation of the driver’s handicap index. These will be posted 1 week prior to the event start for review by all competitors. Once the event starts the driver’s handicap cannot be challenged.

4. Each team member chooses a different color group to define their work/run sessions. Each driver then drives two different cars in each of their run sessions. This results in each driver getting 3 runs in each car. Each car will see 12 runs for the competition. Identifying numbers stay with the driver. An additional “Cup Competitor” identifier will be given to drivers as a keepsake for the event.

5. A street tire PAX multiplier of .980 will be added to non-ST class cars running street tires at the discretion of Event Chairman. This is limited to cars that ran qualifying events on R-compounds and chose to run S-compounds for the Cup.

6. The top time of the 3 runs each team member gets per car will be indexed by the car’s PAX then indexed by the driver’s handicap. These fully indexed times will become part of the teams score. Cars can be run in any order the team desires as long as each driver drives a different car in each assigned run group.

7. If a car breaks down during the event and can not be fixed, a substitute car can be used by Event Chairman’s approval.

8. Driver’s must be able to compete for the whole event, there will be no substitute drivers.

Trophies will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams
MVP Driver Award – The individual with the lowest fully indexed total time.
MVP Car Award - The car with the lowest total PAX Time
Other awards may be handed out.

Example of Drivers PAX Calculation:
There are two indexes that will be used together, a PAX index for the car you're driving and then a second driver’s handicap index. The driver’s handicap index is calculated as follows:
(TT1/YT1 + TT2/YT2 + TT3/YT3)/3, where TTx are top PAX time from that event and YTx is your PAX time from that event."

Start forming your teams, Sign ups for teams will start on Oct 1. Details to come on where to send your entries.
This will be a SCNAX CUP competition only and we have decided not to open it up for open practice at this time.
Last edited by Art Rinner on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Re: SCNAX CUP is BACK!

Post by Randy Chase »

Sweet!
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Art Rinner

SCNAX CUP Plans

Post by Art Rinner »

One of the reason's for making this a competition only practice for the SCNAX Cup is how we are going to run the competition.

Since everyone will be in the SCNAX Cup we can have an organized grid with only the current competitors in grid and with a pre-defined run order based on the current standings with the team in 1st place running last.

We would like all drivers also to include in thier applications a bit of personal history, where your from, are you married, how long have you been autocrossing and any autocrossing highlights of your career. (National Championships and such)

Announcing the SCNAX cup is going to be fun, you will know what the current standings are and our scoring spreadsheet will give you tons of stats to make announcing interesting to you and your audience. We hope the competitors will bring lots of friends to watch, and we're hoping we can get the Cal Poly guys to provide scnacks and drinks (for a donation) all day and cook burgers at lunch for the competitors which will get lunch included with your entry (provided we can get Cal Poly to step up and make some money for their next car.).

There are more plans in development to make this the most fun autocross competition you have ever attended, stay tuned.

One other thing. We are determined to make this a competition only. We have some money so all we want to do is break even, in the past we have lost money, we are prepared to do so again. If the entries are light we might add more runs or have $1 fun runs to help make up the shortfall.

The drivers handicap will tighten up the competition but unlike past years where you got 6 runs in each car and 3 counted, this year you will only get 3 runs in each car and 1 will count. So it will be harder for newbies to score as well as in past events and consistant experienced drivers will be able to contribute more for their team and the competition should be even tighter than in the past years where it often came down to the final run by the last driver. With the new grid format this should happen again this year.

Team Spin is already forming and I have already done some secret recruiting, and hope to get my first win this year.

PS please come up with creative names. (family oriented please)
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Interviewing short people (5'6 ish) to team with me and my CRG. :idea:
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

awesome event - separates the men from da boys

ron im interested and 5' 5 3/4"

i dont think it will come down or that is matters very much but isnt front engine rear drive and mid engine rear drive different enough to be considered different in your classing. i think going from front engine to mid is like going from front wheel drive to rear drive ;)

huge difference for fr guys to jump in a mr car
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Actually the women from the men. In the past, the format has always rewarded "newer" drivers that can improve their times by seconds while the experienced driver can only improve their times by smaller amounts.

But LOTS of fun no matter what the out come ...

Past winners:

Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

Ron Tsumura wrote:Interviewing short people (5'6 ish) to team with me and my CRG. :idea:

Hey Ron,

I think I meet your height requirement :) It would be a pleasure to race with the kart! Go team "stunt"!
Larry Chong

Post by Larry Chong »

Dammit...I don't have 3 championship events under my belt :(
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Any teams looking for a large white man driving a large white car? This sounds like a blast!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

The SCNAX Cup isn't until late Oct ... there are San Diego AX's, BMW AX's and Porsche AX"s besides our own event at the end of the month ... so any of those none CSCC events count?
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

Mako Koiwai wrote:The SCNAX Cup isn't until late Oct ... there are San Diego AX's, BMW AX's and Porsche AX"s besides our own event at the end of the month ... so any of those none CSCC events count?
No they do not run national classes and there is no way to get a overall winning PAX Time.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Larry Chong wrote:Dammit...I don't have 3 championship events under my belt :(
How many do you have, there are two more to go before the event...
Art Rinner wrote:Get your teams together for the Oct. 24 SCNAX CUP V.
3. A driver’s handicap index is based on the average PAX differential to the top PAX driver for the three most recent championships the driver has participated in. This means a driver must have ran at least three championships in the last 12 months to be eligible to compete (San Diego and LA included). Each driver will be responsible for providing the results for calculation of the driver’s handicap index. These will be posted 1 week prior to the event start for review by all competitors. Once the event starts the driver’s handicap cannot be challenged.
September 27th CSCC Solo Championship Event
October 4th San Diego Region Championship
Jeff Ringer

Post by Jeff Ringer »

Ron Tsumura wrote:Interviewing short people (5'6 ish) to team with me and my CRG. :idea:
hey ron i think randy chase and rad are about our height
so its ron , randy ,rad , ringer
cool guys?

crap that doesnt meet the configuration requirements

we can always sub in lisa or christine in the awd mobile , about 5' 6" ish?
mr tom berry do you mind?
ok people thats the team .. im in if ya' ll are game :D

in all seriousness i really want in on this snacks cup .. the mr2 v6 is becoming more sorted/fun each event and with the added rear toe out last event it was a hoot
interested with ron or any possibilities considered - maybe adrian in the mini s ??
Last edited by Jeff Ringer on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Larry Chong

Post by Larry Chong »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:
Larry Chong wrote:Dammit...I don't have 3 championship events under my belt :(
How many do you have, there are two more to go before the event...
September 27th CSCC Solo Championship Event
October 4th San Diego Region Championship

I knew I should've gone to the last champ event. I have 0 events and I've always wanted to do SCNAX cup.

Let's see, I couldn't get a team in '06, moved out of state so wasn't here for '07, no event in '08, and now I won't have enough champs for 09 :lol:
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Art Rinner wrote:5. A street tire PAX multiplier of .980 will be added to non-ST class cars running street tires at the discretion of Event Chairman. This is limited to cars that ran qualifying events on R-compounds and chose to run S-compounds for the Cup.
I just re-read this. Are we running all the normal local classes and indices (in my case SK2)?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Art Rinner wrote:5. A street tire PAX multiplier of .980 will be added to non-ST class cars running street tires at the discretion of Event Chairman. This is limited to cars that ran qualifying events on R-compounds and chose to run S-compounds for the Cup.
I just re-read this. Are we running all the normal local classes and indices (in my case SK2)?
Yes that is correct. That rule is primarily for getting the drivers handicap, not what class your car runs as.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Art Rinner wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
Yes that is correct. That rule is primarily for getting the drivers handicap, not what class your car runs as.
Got it. Again, large white man in large white car looking for a team.
==============
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

SCNAX Cup VII by the way.

Jay W
Jeff Ringer

Post by Jeff Ringer »

paging art rinner

art ,

check your messages
i need your address
my middle name is 'The'

Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

Jeff Ringer wrote:paging art rinner

art ,

check your messages
i need your address
Jeff you can send my card to my shop. You can get the address from http://www.sunrisez.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How did things work out?
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Jeff Ringer

Post by Jeff Ringer »

worked perfect - you da man

too bad i ripped an axle seal when i changed the axle. need to do it all over again :(

mail has been sent

anyone with a snacks cup team yet?
my middle name is 'The'

Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Get your teams ready folks! We'll start taking team sign ups tomorrow.
~Lily
Jason Flores
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

Art Rinner wrote: Start forming your teams, Sign ups for teams will start on Oct 1. Details to come on where to send your entries.
This will be a SCNAX CUP competition only and we have decided not to open it up for open practice at this time.
Is there a chance there there will not be 15 teams of 4 drivers to fill the full practice of a normal 60 drivers?

If yes is there a slim chance that the practice may end up being opened later on?

Just wondering for those that may need the practice time and not have a team...

thanks 8-)
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jason Flores wrote:
Art Rinner wrote: Start forming your teams, Sign ups for teams will start on Oct 1. Details to come on where to send your entries.
Is there a chance there there will not be 15 teams of 4 drivers to fill the full practice of a normal 60 drivers?

If yes is there a slim chance that the practice may end up being opened later on?

thanks 8-)
We have new tires and a new car setup that need to be tested if that happens.
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

Jason Flores wrote:

thanks 8-)
We really want to make this a competition, letting open practice cars in will mess up my plans to make this really fun.

I'm working on the scoring sheet that will give us real time updates on team standings. So that for every run we can seed the cars with the team that is in first place running last. There are plans on how to set up the grid.

Jason, you drive a Civic, you should have no problem putting together a team, in fact didn't you participate once in the past?

This is a very fun competitive event, you have teammates who will help in between runs, and there is nothing more exciting that seeing your teammates jumping up and down celebrating your winning run. Just doesn't get any better.

I think a team of 3 civics and maybe a Impressa or 240SX would be a fun killer team.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT