Safety Steward training session, December 5th!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Re: Safety Steward training session, December 5th!

Post by Ken Lord »

I agree as well. I have received no notification that I have to attend this refresher course other than through the grapevine. Are they going to wait until renweal time and then tell people they can't renew? and then there are no SSS for a region for a year? There has to be a better way.

A full day with new SSS classes seems unproductive as well. I'm not saying I am not going to attend - but this program has to be waaaaay better thought out.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

BTW-

I'm pissed at the SCCA. Not Mike or our local leadership. I do wish that Brian Robertson, our DSSS, who is insanely busy with the Kumho support for the off road series would focus on training trainers. That's got to be a key if we're going to have more options in the division, Brian can't be doing all the courses if this is going to work. But obviously better solution is a National refresher video.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:... But obviously better solution is a National refresher video.
...as produced by HiDefRacing.com w/the talented duo of Tanquary/Schenker :D
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

What time does training end? I just found out I have to be @ a family thing in the early afternoon :(.
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Looks right now like I can come. Any prereqs? How late are we likely to go?

Steve Collins
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Mike and I will be there
~Lily
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:What time does training end? I just found out I have to be @ a family thing in the early afternoon :(.
Brian thinks it should only take a couple hours. If you budget 3-4, it's gotta be covered by a HUGE margin.

Mike
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Depends how much time is spent with antidotes ... which are interesting, informative but do take up time.

For the SSS Newbies, after this classroom session, one has to "shadow" a SSS of record for an event (more then one?) before you will get signed off as a SSS.

One of the reasons we always need more SSS's is that for instance at yesterdays Practice, I was the only SSS on hand besides Tom T, THE SSS. (Bill S. had let his SSS license expire.) Tom could only take runs by having me standing in for him, ie. I couldn't be working on my car, driving, etc. It's always good to have more then one or two SSS's attending an event.

I like the way Tom pointed out in his Safety Talk yesterday that he is basically our SCCA Insurance companies Rep at an event. You don't want to have to write up an Incident Report so you do your Duties to try and make sure that doesn't happen.
Adrian Covert
Car#: 127

Post by Adrian Covert »

I really want to do this but I already made plans and will be out of town.... FML
Gayle Jardine
Club Representative
Club: TCC
Car#: 89

Post by Gayle Jardine »

I believe there is going to be a class held at the convention in Las Vegas in January. Not sure of the details though...
Dennis R. Brown, DDS
Car#: 312

Post by Dennis R. Brown, DDS »

I would like to attend. Is this something open to New and Novice competitors? Due to illness, I have been unable to run the last five months, but I want to get back into the flow of things before the start of the 2010 season. If I am allowed to join, I will be there.
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm the one driving the "overbloated bling ride"!!!!
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

I'll be there.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:Is this something open to New and Novice competitors?
Dennis, I recommend you strike up a conversation with Brian Robertson about this. I don't see anything in the rule book (Page 243 of the 2009 Solo Rules) excluding novices, but I believe one of the qualifications is a "reasonable" amount of experience in autocross competition to provide some basis for judging safe and unsafe conditions at a Solo venue.

Mike
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Brian thinks it should only take a couple hours. If you budget 3-4, it's gotta be covered by a HUGE margin.

Mike
Perfect, that should be easily doable (I originally thought it may have taken the whole day). Thanks!
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:Is this something open to New and Novice competitors?
Dennis, I recommend you strike up a conversation with Brian Robertson about this. I don't see anything in the rule book (Page 243 of the 2009 Solo Rules) excluding novices, but I believe one of the qualifications is a "reasonable" amount of experience in autocross competition to provide some basis for judging safe and unsafe conditions at a Solo venue.

Mike
I guess I was thinking more about the "safety" part, and being a person that would be able to render first aid as needed. I guess I wouldn't define my experience as a "reasonable" amount. However, I have seen safe and unsafe conditions just with my experience from inside the RV.
It's been tough being out of commission the last few months. I miss the sights, sounds, and smells of AutoX. Looking forward to competition in 2010!
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Don't need to be an SSS to render aid or note an unsafe condition to people in charge.

I think an SSS needs 2-3 years experience at least to understand the game and have the respect of other event officials. It rarely gets heated, but there is subtle push you have to deal with when clamping down. It really is a little more sophisticated than just memorizing some rules.

I think Dennis would be a good candidate, but I'd suggest more cure time on the solo experience.

I've missed the last couple of events too so I didn't realize you weren't around. Hope you're back soon so I can pick on ya'! ;) 8-)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

I took off for another event that I no longer need to go to (was going to go to the Long Beach motorcycle show that day...selling motorcycle, kind of counterproductive). I've asked the fiancé if I can go and got the OK.

Dunno how many events I can do (without some heads up) but I'd like to attend. Count me in if room allows.

--Dan
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:... smells of AutoX. ...
Mike Simanyi, given that he will be having a lot more time on his hands, has agreed to bath more often, now that he will be driving other people's cars for awhile...

(Sorry Mike: one can only make light of your sucky situation.)
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Bill Schenker wrote:
Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:... smells of AutoX. ...
Mike Simanyi, given that he will be having a lot more time on his hands, has agreed to bath more often, now that he will be driving other people's cars for awhile...

(Sorry Mike: one can only make light of your sucky situation.)
The first thing I thought of Bill was the odor inside your van. Now that's definitely autox odor. :P :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Don't need to be an SSS to render aid or note an unsafe condition to people in charge.

I think an SSS needs 2-3 years experience at least to understand the game and have the respect of other event officials. It rarely gets heated, but there is subtle push you have to deal with when clamping down. It really is a little more sophisticated than just memorizing some rules.

I think Dennis would be a good candidate, but I'd suggest more cure time on the solo experience.

I've missed the last couple of events too so I didn't realize you weren't around. Hope you're back soon so I can pick on ya'! ;) 8-)
Thanks Steve, nice to feel missed. :D I'm hoping to get all my pains and illnesses out of this way this season. So far I've had my tonsils removed, was the passenger in my wife's 325ci that got totaled (after she picked me up from the airport coming back from Lincoln), went to the the Pearl Jam concert in San Diego and somehow between the concert and the confined conditions of the trolley I contracted Swine Flu. So it's been a very crappy 5 months.
If you can get the H1N1 flu vaccine, I highly advise it! Before I went to the doctor for the diagnosis of Swine Flu, I thought I had viral or bacterial meningitis because my head and spine felt like they were going to explode of my body. I was picturing something out of the movie "Aliens" where the baby alien bursts out of the host's body! I had a body temperature in excess of 104.5 degrees, and I could barely stand because of the effect the virus was having on my Central Nervous System. It took me about one week to be able to walk myself to the bathroom, and an entire month just to get to the point of feeling well enough, and safe enough, to drive myself to the doctor. I lost 20 pounds in a little over 2 weeks, much of the weight loss probably due to water loss from sweating and not being able to keep any solid food down.
BTW, Steve, we went back to Crevier to get the wife's new BMW. We got her a bigger Bimmer (a 535i tank) for safety reasons since her 325 seemed to be a magnet for people rear-ending her car. She was rear-ended twice on the freeway, backed into in a parking lot by a lady talking on her cellphone and holding her dog, and then the final rear-ending that totaled the car. Personally, I think the old car was jinxed or had some very bad JuJu. :twisted:
I guess I'll wait until next year to do the SSS class. I realize I still have a LOT to learn about AutoX driving and administration. I guess I could provide First Aid regardless of what position I served in CSCC. I guess I like working in Timing & Scoring, and I still have things to learn in that position. Therefore, I'll do the SSS class next year.
DocBrown
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

It seems that the home office does not have all of their ducks in a row.
Shauna and I just renewed until Nov. 2010, and there was no mention of the increased requirements. They haven't even changed the renewal form. I think those of you whose renewals are coming up will not be subject to the new requirements.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Check the 2009 rule book for the revision. It's there that the renewal training is required.

Mike
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:I'm in if there is still room.
sorry, only room for 3 Mikes... :P, j/k j/k.
pooo i guess i can't go :(
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm officially out. :cry: Got and event for Maddie that I can't rearrange or get out of.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Michael Bradley
Car#: 210

Post by Michael Bradley »

I just found out I can't make the class. Sorry, I'll try for the next one.