Non-Shifter Kart Class for Solo?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tin Bui
Club: SCNAX

Non-Shifter Kart Class for Solo?

Post by Tin Bui »

So I recently just bought a used TAG 125 kart. Main purpose is help me become a better driver and also get some wheel to wheel experience.

Is there a solo class for a TAG 125 kart?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Non-Shifter Kart Class for Solo?

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Tin Bui wrote:So I recently just bought a used TAG 125 kart. Main purpose is help me become a better driver and also get some wheel to wheel experience.

No, and the reason being is that there isn't a DEMAND for a class for non-shifters (i.e. TAG). There's a thread on eKartingNews.com where someone made a request and that's the reasoning on the national level. On a local regional level, you could go through your club rep, but we don't have a big karting class here in Cal Club and all are shifters.

Here's the thread Tin: SCCA Unfair to TaG's in Classing
Webster Jessup
Club: CASOC
Car#: 122

Post by Webster Jessup »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Tin Bui wrote:So I recently just bought a used TAG 125 kart. Main purpose is help me become a better driver and also get some wheel to wheel experience.

No, and the reason being is that there isn't a DEMAND for a class for non-shifters (i.e. TAG). There's a thread on eKartingNews.com where someone made a request and that's the reasoning on the national level. On a local regional level, you could go through your club rep, but we don't have a big karting class here in Cal Club and all are shifters.

How would you know until a class is created? There are some real bonehead policies in this organization and the rampant conflicts of interest make change impossible or just frustrating.

Does it cost anything to add an additional class? Nope.

Would it most likely increase membership? Most likely. Just give people opportunities AND some COMPETITION. Having TAGs run against a faster group is just plain ignorant. Or telling people to run in PAX :roll: Ya, that's gonna make you feel good when you get spanked by the fastest cars out there.
Chris Cullen

Post by Chris Cullen »

If you geared it really low, then the only place on the course where you'd loose a lot of time is on the start before the motor gets into it's power band. I say have a go at an event, I'd like to see how you do. Which motor do you have? A Rotax would fair the best against the shifters because of it's power-valve at lower RPM.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Webster Jessup wrote: How would you know until a class is created? There are some real bonehead policies in this organization and the rampant conflicts of interest make change impossible or just frustrating.

Would it most likely increase membership? Most likely. Just give people opportunities AND some COMPETITION. Having TAGs run against a faster group is just plain ignorant. Or telling people to run in PAX :roll: Ya, that's gonna make you feel good when you get spanked by the fastest cars out there.
Ahhh... I see. You are suggesting the SCCA create a class for every car/kart, just so no one feels left out?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Tin Bui

Post by Tin Bui »

Chris Cullen wrote:If you geared it really low, then the only place on the course where you'd loose a lot of time is on the start before the motor gets into it's power band. I say have a go at an event, I'd like to see how you do. Which motor do you have? A Rotax would fair the best against the shifters because of it's power-valve at lower RPM.
I'm not sure what I'm geared at, but I do have a set of sprockets. I have a PRD Fireball for the new spec class at LAKC. I do have a bigger carb for running TAG.

Thanks for the insight. I'll bring it out to maybe the March event.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Tin,
while the scca does not currently offer a tag class, each region is free to add any class they want.
You could certainly make a proposal to add a regional only class. It wouldn't hurt if you could get a couple of people to run it. Also make a spreadsheet of the differences between F-TAG and F-125 (including lap times at the local kart tracks) so those of us who are less familiar with the differences can better understand the situation.
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Tire selection is also another consideration. For example, MG Yellows, Bridgstone YHC, etc. are usually required at kart tracks. However softer compounds are the tires of choice for Solo 2.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Webster Jessup wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:

How would you know until a class is created? There are some real bonehead policies in this organization and the rampant conflicts of interest make change impossible or just frustrating.

Apparently you did NOT read my reply to Tin, Webster or else you'd realize that we as a region have the freedom to create a local class IF, there's a demand. So that's why I suggested to Tin to contact his club rep and make a formal proposal. Since you're a newbie and have no clue how we do things, that's how we operate. Your club rep is your mouth piece, or you're more than welcome to attend a committee meeting. But the powers that be will not create a new class JUST for 1 person. And even then if we did, it would be a region-specific only class. Thus if he ran down in SD region there would be no F125-TAG class, thus he'd have to run in F125.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Tin Bui wrote: Is there a solo class for a TAG 125 kart?
YES, its called F125. SCCA Solo has a class for just about any 4 (or more, not in a line) wheeled vehicle. Jeff Grossman brought out a TAG kart a while back and was pretty fast in it...
Tin Bui

Post by Tin Bui »

Thanks guys for the discussion.

I'm just gonna bring the kart out and have fun in F125. If I like running the TAG and find others who want to run a TAG class, I'll start thinking about proposing a class for it.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Tin Bui wrote:Thanks guys for the discussion.

I'm just gonna bring the kart out and have fun in F125. If I like running the TAG and find others who want to run a TAG class, I'll start thinking about proposing a class for it.
Exactly Tin. Just have fun in F125.
Webster Jessup

Post by Webster Jessup »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Apparently you did NOT read my reply to Tin, Webster or else you'd realize that we as a region have the freedom to create a local class IF, there's a demand. So that's why I suggested to Tin to contact his club rep and make a formal proposal. Since you're a newbie and have no clue how we do things, that's how we operate. Your club rep is your mouth piece, or you're more than welcome to attend a committee meeting. But the powers that be will not create a new class JUST for 1 person. And even then if we did, it would be a region-specific only class. Thus if he ran down in SD region there would be no F125-TAG class, thus he'd have to run in F125.
READ? You seem to be the one with the reading comprehension issue.

With your last sentence, you basically told him that even if he did ask his club rep, it'd be hopeless.

I also mentioned conflict of interest.
Webster Jessup

Post by Webster Jessup »

Max Hayter wrote:
Webster Jessup wrote: How would you know until a class is created? There are some real bonehead policies in this organization and the rampant conflicts of interest make change impossible or just frustrating.

Ahhh... I see. You are suggesting the SCCA create a class for every car/kart, just so no one feels left out?
You said that, not me.
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Webster Jessup wrote:You said that, not me.
Wanna fight?
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Max Hayter wrote:
Webster Jessup wrote:You said that, not me.
Wanna fight?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can see Web is gonna fit right in at CASOC :gpower: :gpower: :gpower:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

$5 on Web.

Sorry Nancy. But he's a big dude.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:$5 on Web.

Sorry Nancy. But he's a big dude.
It ain't necessarily the size of the dog in the fight. On the other hand, I have a really hard time picturing Nancy getting down and dirty.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My money is on Simanyi's dog.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

I was thinking more of a Pistols at Dawn kind of thing.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Webster Jessup

Post by Webster Jessup »

Max Hayter wrote:I was thinking more of a Pistols at Dawn kind of thing.
That's more like it.
1sm239pistols.gif
1sm239pistols.gif (52.81 KiB) Viewed 8335 times
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

As VP, I get to choose the guns :thumbup:
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Giovanni Jaramillo

Webster Jessup wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Apparently you did NOT read my reply to Tin, Webster or else you'd realize that we as a region have the freedom to create a local class IF, there's a demand. So that's why I suggested to Tin to contact his club rep and make a formal proposal. Since you're a newbie and have no clue how we do things, that's how we operate. Your club rep is your mouth piece, or you're more than welcome to attend a committee meeting. But the powers that be will not create a new class JUST for 1 person. And even then if we did, it would be a region-specific only class. Thus if he ran down in SD region there would be no F125-TAG class, thus he'd have to run in F125.
READ? You seem to be the one with the reading comprehension issue.

With your last sentence, you basically told him that even if he did ask his club rep, it'd be hopeless.

I also mentioned conflict of interest.
Oh I never said it'd be hopeless, I was just pointing out that if it was accepted it'd be just for Cal Club region only. And what "conflict of interest" are you referring to? Though I am on the Executive Board, it is the Solo Committee that votes on this. I have no say. Just pointing out how things are done to a "newbie" like you.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Everyone is a "newbie" at some point and "newbies" are the future of the sport and club. Let's not turn the word into a term of insult.

Sorry to interupt, ya'll resume your drama.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm still trying to visualize Web in a kart. But then again urt Rahn has driven a kart. :shock:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600