Calclub/American Heart Ass. Dbl Nat - attn. Junior Karters

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

John Kestler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 20

Calclub/American Heart Ass. Dbl Nat - attn. Junior Karters

Post by John Kestler »

This coming weekend April 24-25 is Calclub Double National at Buttonwillow. It's helping benefit the American Heart Association.

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/apps/calendar/ ... tkey=10567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan on taking the kids out and camping Saturday night and enjoying the festivities. I will be bringing all of the karts because the kart track is open for practice.

Any, Junior kart families want to meet us there?
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Re: Calclub/American Heart Ass. Dbl Nat - attn. Junior Karters

Post by Karen Zaterman »

...and it will be a good event to watch if you haven't been to one for awhile.

entry fee: SCCA members free and non-members $10

They are also planning Time Trials in June which I'm planning on.

I just spent 3 days in the Cal Club booth at the Long Beach Grand Prix -- we sure would like to see more of the Solo crowd at the Cal Club events. I'm thinking I'll show up this weekend, anyone else game?
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Karen Zaterman wrote: I just spent 3 days in the Cal Club booth at the Long Beach Grand Prix -- we sure would like to see more of the Solo crowd at the Cal Club events.
Most of us were at a Cal Club hosted event this past weekend....
Last edited by Rick Brown on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Karen Zaterman wrote:...and it will be a good event to watch if you haven't been to one for awhile.

entry fee: SCCA members free and non-members $10

They are also planning Time Trials in June which I'm planning on.

I just spent 3 days in the Cal Club booth at the Long Beach Grand Prix -- we sure would like to see more of the Solo crowd at the Cal Club events. I'm thinking I'll show up this weekend, anyone else game?
I will be there. 8-)

Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Man, just one little horsepower short of 100!
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Will Kalman wrote:Man, just one little horsepower short of 100!
Imagine how bad the guy in the vette felt when I only had 51HP.

Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Rick Brown wrote:
Karen Zaterman wrote: I just spent 3 days in the Cal Club booth at the Long Beach Grand Prix -- we sure would like to see more of the Solo crowd at the Cal Club events.
Most of us were at a Cal Club hosted event this past weekend....

The Solo crowd was out racing at El Toro this weekend. Bummer too becuase my favorite event at LBGP is the ALMS race, but would rather drive than watch.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Imagine how bad the guy in the vette felt when I only had 51HP.
Yeah, he was stuck behind you for, what, 3/10ths of a second? :-)
Virgil Wilkins
Club: CASOC
Car#: 454

Post by Virgil Wilkins »

John Kestler wrote:This coming weekend April 24-25 is Calclub Double National at Buttonwillow. It's helping benefit the American Heart Association.

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/apps/calendar/ ... tkey=10567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan on taking the kids out and camping Saturday night and enjoying the festivities. I will be bringing all of the karts because the kart track is open for practice.

I just pulled my old kt100 kart off the garage wall in hopes that my Kylie (9) will want to participate in the FJ program (the momma is not real happy with me at the moment :oops: ). There's just no way I'm gonna have the pedals and seat adjusted by this weekend however. I might need to rebuild the carb anyway, it's been quite some time. I know the Horstman clutch (wet) needs attention. Can you recommend any local Karting shops for parts?

-V
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What's local ?!

Pitts in Van Nuys (are they still there?)

There was a place down the street from Henry B's place in Burbank?
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Pitts in Van Nuys (are they still there?)
Yes, they're still there. Great shop and great friendly attitudes.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Virgil Wilkins wrote:
John Kestler wrote:This coming weekend April 24-25 is Calclub Double National at Buttonwillow. It's helping benefit the American Heart Association.

I just pulled my old kt100 kart off the garage wall in hopes that my Kylie (9) will want to participate in the FJ program (the momma is not real happy with me at the moment :oops: ). There's just no way I'm gonna have the pedals and seat adjusted by this weekend however. I might need to rebuild the carb anyway, it's been quite some time. I know the Horstman clutch (wet) needs attention. Can you recommend any local Karting shops for parts?

-V

We'll have a special junior kart course setup thanks to Team Blew at the May 1 and 2 El Toro event. Good opportunity to get introduced to the sport in a low pressure, practice all you want format.
Here are the rules specific to the KT100 with an FJB driver:
ENGINE: Yamaha KT-100, only heads with OEM casting
“Yamaha” and cylinders with YS orY4 and 787 are legal
If hole exists in pipe for EGT sensor, EGT sensor
probe must be in place.
WEIGHT: 250 pounds
FUEL: Gas and Oil.
Carburetor and Exhaust:
1.WalbroWA55b or HPV1 with WA55B manifoldwith
RLV SSX-V exhaust or
2.Walbro WB3A carburetor and 0.600 restrictor
plate with RLVYBX exhaust.

The rest of the junior rules and safety requirements can be found here:
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Ru ... elines.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: WEIGHT: 250 pounds
Interesting. I know they have a plugged exhaust on the KT100 for FJB, but they get to run 15# lighter than the K80?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Virgil Wilkins wrote:

-V
Have you tried Apex? http://www.apexracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right in your neighborhood. If they don't have what you need, could probably recommend someone local.
Virgil Wilkins
Car#: 454

Post by Virgil Wilkins »

Rick Brown wrote:
Virgil Wilkins wrote:

-V
Have you tried Apex? http://www.apexracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right in your neighborhood. If they don't have what you need, could probably recommend someone local.

Wow, that's a blast from my past! Believe it or not, I bought my kart from Dave way back in the mid/late '90s. (Dave had really big Rocker Hair at the time). My kart still has the Apex stickers on it! It was being retired as a student kart when I bought it. Dave was an instructor at the Perris track and I had taken two weekend instruction sessions. My ribs really, really, really hurt - I think I still have scars :lol: I totally respect the abuse you and Ron take on each run. I use to drooooooolllll over the guys with the shifter karts.....still do actually. I'll swing by over the weekend and check'm out.
-V
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Virgil Wilkins wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Virgil Wilkins wrote:

-V

Wow, that's a blast from my past! Believe it or not, I bought my kart from Dave way back in the mid/late '90s. (Dave had really big Rocker Hair at the time). My kart still has the Apex stickers on it! It was being retired as a student kart when I bought it. Dave was an instructor at the Perris track and I had taken two weekend instruction sessions. My ribs really, really, really hurt - I think I still have scars :lol: I totally respect the abuse you and Ron take on each run. I use to drooooooolllll over the guys with the shifter karts.....still do actually. I'll swing by over the weekend and check'm out.
-V
Since they repaved the track a year or two ago it's really nice there, not to mention the closest one to me. Last time I went on an open practice day, there was a young girl in a kid kart (not sure what) who was kicking my butt! Could catch up on the straights, but she killed me on the rest. Turned out she was a National Champion of some sort. Plus I was on old tires - that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

Rib vests FTW! When I first started I read about people cracking ribs and being out for 6 months to heal, so that's one place I didn't skimp on quality.