General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 72

Driving suit

Post by Tom Berry »

Does anyone know of a place in So Cal that stocks driving suits? I am doing a 24 Hours of Lemons race next month and need a suit but would like to look at them and maybe try them on before buying. Same with closed face helmets.
Lots of ways to buy on line but since I have not bought a suit before, dont know about fit, quality, sizing etc.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Re: Driving suit

Post by Thomas Smith »

Subesports in Huntington Beach stocks alot of suits and helmets although I'm not sure if they come in "bean pole" :D
Thomas Smith
Rad_ Delgado_
Club: PSCC
Car#: 512

Post by Rad_ Delgado_ »

Tom,

I highly recommend you SubeSport in Huntington Beach. They are right in front of b|b|i Autosport (Betim and Joey) the guys that work on my cars.

They have a decent size inventory. Racing suits can't be bought on-line, there are so many differences among them in size and fit. Some of them are designed to be comfortable for seating on a go-kart, others to sit in a formula car, others (mine) to sit in a sport car, I bought my racing gear from them around 2 years ago. There are many different prices according to brands, materials, etc, but most of them are SCCA/NASA/PCA/BMWCCA/FIA approved (SFI I think).

They have a huge inventory of helmets as well. Their retail prices are ok. This is the same place where I buy Michelin slicks (best price so far on them).

Good luck at LeMons!
Bill Schenker
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Tom Berry wrote:Does anyone know of a place in So Cal that stocks driving suits? I am doing a 24 Hours of Lemons race next month and need a suit but would like to look at them and maybe try them on before buying. Same with closed face helmets.
Lots of ways to buy on line but since I have not bought a suit before, dont know about fit, quality, sizing etc.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom, does it have to be up-to-date F.I.A. -wise? If not, I have suit, hardly worn, that you're welcomed to borrow for as long as you need; you're taller, but it still might fit.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Webster Jessup
Car#: 122

Post by Webster Jessup »

Hey Tom,

You can try DJ Safety. They are up by the 5 and the 2.

They always seem to have a lot of stuff in stock, so check them out. http://www.djsafety.com/

--
Web
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

Bill Schenker wrote:
Tom Berry wrote:Does anyone know of a place in So Cal that stocks driving suits? I am doing a 24 Hours of Lemons race next month and need a suit but would like to look at them and maybe try them on before buying. Same with closed face helmets.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom, does it have to be up-to-date F.I.A. -wise? If not, I have suit, hardly worn, that you're welcomed to borrow for as long as you need; you're taller, but it still might fit.
Needs to be SFI 3.2A or better FIA 8856-2000 or better.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Webster Jessup wrote:Hey Tom,

You can try DJ Safety. They are up by the 5 and the 2.

They always seem to have a lot of stuff in stock, so check them out. http://www.djsafety.com/

--
Web
Prices are cheap too ... wow!!!

http://www.djsafety.com/Firesuits.html
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Image :thumbup:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

The 120 series from Racequip is a good deal: http://www.racequip.com/suits/sfi5multilayersuits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Azuza Engineering isn't too far from you. They sell through dealers, but if you call out there you can set up an appointment for a fitting.

http://www.azusaeng.com/racewear/AzusaR ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Grant Heathman

Post by Grant Heathman »

Crow in anaheim all you need for real racing....
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Tom Berry wrote:I am doing a 24 Hours of Lemons race next month
So what's the story behind the ride? When and where is the event? Who are your teammates? Inquiring minds and all....
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

Will Kalman wrote:
Tom Berry wrote:I am doing a 24 Hours of Lemons race next month
So what's the story behind the ride? When and where is the event? Who are your teammates? Inquiring minds and all....
May 8th and 9th at Thunderhill E30 BMW Belongs to Brian Haginaur ( he has had it out to several practices ).
One of the Team rolled it at the last Lemons race so it needed some adjustments.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Bryan Hagenauer
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

Christine Berry wrote:Bryan Hagenauer
ooops
Bill Schenker
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Tom Berry wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:
Thanks,
Tom
Crap. Mine's from 1999. Sorry.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Tom Berry wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:
Thanks,
Tom
I have a near new SFI 3.2A, size medium. I can bring to May 1-2 event for you to try on if you want. Christine borrowed it once, ask her how it fit.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Tom,
You can try on a karting suit at K1 (may be San Diego only not sure). I will say this on helmets, suits and shoes. There are a number of sponsors with discounts to SCCA members. I have recently completed a group of transactions with SafeRacer.com the advantage is that with the SCCA code which is SCCA2010 you get 10% off of everything, as well as free shipping on purchase over $99 + no tax. I picked up a really nice SFI rated single layer suit from them the LICO brand which is a discount (not that I could tell) from SPARCO. Excellent fit fast FedEx (free) shipping and go the aforementioned discount. I had gotten the shoes wrong, they took my info and sent the new ones (charged me) took back my old ones (credited me) and it was fast and freindly. Can understand the desire to try on. The fitting guides on the website are pretty good (right on for me and I am tall and fat).

Just a thought. My wife bought me the gopro, and the 10% off was worht $30 off the top, no Tax, about $24 more in savings, no Shipping, another $15. (Realize if you by local shipping isn't an issue). Still saving $54 was nothing to sneeze at.

My Lico suit was if I remember $109.00 before discount.
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

Wow.
Thanks for all the replies... Thats a great help.
Tom
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Good Luck in the Lemons race, you will have a blast.
Warning though WTW is a little addicting, and you don;t have to pick up cones:)
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Jason Isley BS RX8

Get a head and neck restraint while you are stocking up on safety gear. Because you never know when something will break and you get to be a passenger. They work great. :thumbup:

Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

OUCH ... glad to hear that you're OK. You've always been a great late brake'r ... you just have to watch out for those slow Vettes braking early! WHAT HAPPENED?

My F-Vee racer friend use to watch the throttle spring of the Vee ahead of him to see when he was lifting off to brake!
Jason Isley BS RX8

Mako Koiwai wrote:OUCH ... glad to hear that you're OK. You've always been a great late brake'r ... you just have to watch out for those slow Vettes braking early! WHAT HAPPENED?

My F-Vee racer friend use to watch the throttle spring of the Vee ahead of him to see when he was lifting off to brake!
Something broke and I could not turn... The next thing in front of me was a worker station. :unimpressed: I did manage to slow it down a bit before the hit, and the damage is actually very little.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Something broke and I could not turn... The next thing in front of me was a worker station. :unimpressed: I did manage to slow it down a bit before the hit, and the damage is actually very little.
Scary, glad you are OK. I bet those big meats put too much stress on a pencil-thin suspension part...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Tom. I hope you got the needed info... :computer:
Jason Isley BS RX8

Sebastian Rios wrote:
Scary, glad you are OK. I bet those big meats put too much stress on a pencil-thin suspension part...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Tom. I hope you got the needed info... :computer:
Every time I go around a fast turn I wonder if anyone in Japan ever thought a Yaris would have a 10.5" slick on it - but then I block it out. :shock:

I wonder why Tom would get in something that is in likely much worse mechanical condition and run a race, a race with people that have little to no experience. ;)