December Practice/Championship Reg Open

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Re: December Practice/Championship Reg Open

Post by Q V »

Rick Brown wrote: Yes.
Only 30 people entered so far so I doubt there will be anyone turned away. On Sunday after pre-reg ends, if the limit isn't reached all entries will be accepted and registration will be open to everyone up to the 88 person limit.
It probably doesn't help that the main site still says "Incomplete Flyer" w/ no information for either Practice or Championship.

I didn't even notice registration for either was open until today :computer:
John Hernandez

Post by John Hernandez »

My work group and run order are in the morning sessions but I probably can't make it out in time, can I jump in and run/work with the afternoon sessions?
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

John Hernandez wrote:My work group and run order are in the morning sessions but I probably can't make it out in time, can I jump in and run/work with the afternoon sessions?
You have to get permission from your competitors if you run in a class, but if you run Time Only (TO), you can run any time you want.
~Lily
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
Only 30 people entered so far so I doubt there will be anyone turned away. On Sunday after pre-reg ends, if the limit isn't reached all entries will be accepted and registration will be open to everyone up to the 88 person limit.
It probably doesn't help that the main site still says "Incomplete Flyer" w/ no information for either Practice or Championship.

Hopefully something is in the works for sending email to past participants about up coming events, this old concept of expecting people to constantly check the site is getting old. I went racing yesterday "only" because I got an email that their is a race going on somewhere.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Jack Tsou
Car#: 8

Post by Jack Tsou »

T. Osifeso wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:

Hopefully something is in the works for sending email to past participants about up coming events, this old concept of expecting people to constantly check the site is getting old. I went racing yesterday "only" because I got an email that their is a race going on somewhere.
You can always subcribe to the forum.... though you'll get a ton of emails from people posting their videos/pictures after each event. :lol:
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

There are always those who will complain about getting e-mails. How frequently, how far before an event, how many reminders?

Although it is certainly nice if the front page and event notifications are updated, as we all know this is a volunteer run site (i.e. a few people doing a lot of work for the majority) and during the holiday season it gets even harder. At least when we check the site we have a chance to look at whats going on and maybe get drawn into a discussion.

For something like Speed Ventures or NASA to which I also subscribe / belong I expect to be sent e-mails and fed information because they are for profit operations with paid staff. For a volunteer org, I am simply amazed with how effective and comprehensive everything is. From kids karts to practice set up. Some groups do it better than others, the E-Board is obviously over taxed, but it's a great experience to come out and run. It's fun to come to the website and be involved.

Bottomline, short of hiring someone to stay home and run all of this, I suggest it's very well done.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

The only real difference is you go to solo2.motorsportsreg.com instead of our homepage for events. Set it as a favorite (actually my Firefox lists it as the first choice as soon as I type "so") and check it once in a while. Plus we have a published calendar that is pretty accurate (95% of 2011 is already there). But I believe email notification is an option we are looking at when the site gets redone. I'm sure it will be opt-in since we probably don't want to spam everyone (there's almost 1400 on this forum and I think as many as 500 points card holders). Maybe a onetime hit to say this service is now available.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
John Hernandez

Post by John Hernandez »

Lily Liu wrote:
John Hernandez wrote:My work group and run order are in the morning sessions but I probably can't make it out in time, can I jump in and run/work with the afternoon sessions?
You have to get permission from your competitors if you run in a class, but if you run Time Only (TO), you can run any time you want.
I'm running in CST. How am I supposed to get their permission? Not sure if I'm going to need to do this, just planning ahead.
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

John Hernandez wrote:
Lily Liu wrote:
I'm running in CST. How am I supposed to get their permission? Not sure if I'm going to need to do this, just planning ahead.
Figure out who your competitors are and email them. Our sport self policing, They could protest you for running out of group, so just make sure they are ok with it.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

John Hernandez wrote:
Lily Liu wrote:
Get names of at least the top competitors in CST from results, go to solo2.com (click logo at top of page), click Find Other Users, search for who you want and the system will email them for you.
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Rick Brown wrote:Get names of at least the top competitors in CST from results, go to solo2.com (click logo at top of page), click Find Other Users, search for who you want and the system will email them for you.
Simplest way is to run Time Only in the afternoon if you're not in the points race. Permission to run out of class and avoiding protests only matter if you are running for points.
~Lily
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do we, can we give Military discounts? Asking for soldier who would like to come
out on Sat.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

A few days ago when I looked, there was an entry list for the practice showing about 55 entries. Today when I looked, it is blank. Should it be?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

John Stimson wrote:A few days ago when I looked, there was an entry list for the practice showing about 55 entries. Today when I looked, it is blank. Should it be?
Yeah, it shouldn't have been up in the first place. That list was actually just showing people who had signed up, not those confirmed. We're still getting the hang of the new system and all the little things that need to be done when setting up an event, so I apologize for the inconvenience. I just went in noticed it so I made the changes.

The official list won't be out until registration closes tomorrow - at which time we'll repost that list showing the CONFIRMED entries. But with this few people everyone will likely get in.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Do we, can we give Military discounts? Asking for soldier who would like to come
out on Sat.
We don't give military discounts. The topic has been discussed by the Board/Committee before.
kj
Mike Kazmierczak
Car#: 227

Post by Mike Kazmierczak »

Has the practice format been determined?
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mike Kazmierczak wrote:Has the practice format been determined?
I've been waiting to see if we get a last-minute rush, but I think we're pretty much set as far as number of entrants. I'll work the numbers today and figure out whether we have enough bodies to run four groups or whether we have to run three. Regardless, It'll be a traditional practice format, rather than GRA style.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Hey Calclubbers,

It looks like there's still room left for the practice? I'm contemplating going, but I'm on call, so I can't commit yet, although with these hockey pucks for rear tires, it might not be a bad thing if I can't make it... so will walk ups be ok?

Also, in terms of the weekend membership, the $15 goes directly to national SCCA, so when I renew they'll have it on file somewhere that I already paid the $15? Is there a certain amount of time I need to get SCCA membership before the $15 fee is waived?

Good to be back, and can't wait to see all of you!
James
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

We might have a couple of NASIOC Suby folks joining Sat. Morning ... on the other hand, a few registered folks don't show up
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

James Yom wrote:Hey Calclubbers,

It looks like there's still room left for the practice? I'm contemplating going, but I'm on call, so I can't commit yet, although with these hockey pucks for rear tires, it might not be a bad thing if I can't make it... so will walk ups be ok?

Also, in terms of the weekend membership, the $15 goes directly to national SCCA, so when I renew they'll have it on file somewhere that I already paid the $15? Is there a certain amount of time I need to get SCCA membership before the $15 fee is waived?

Good to be back, and can't wait to see all of you!
James
James,

If you register on MSR, I think it gives you something to print out with the temporary number. Gayle is usually on site if you want to chance it by showing up Saturday morning.

Good to have you back....
kj
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

James Yom wrote:Hey Calclubbers,

James
You have to provide the weekend membership number when you apply for the full membership to get the $15 credit but I believe you have to do it within 30 or 60 days. You can get another $15 credit by providing another member's number as a referral. Get Gayle's number, she's in a contest for most referrals.
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Is there room for walkups at the practice? I've apparently missed the reg deadline...

sc
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
I've been waiting to see if we get a last-minute rush, but I think we're pretty much set as far as number of entrants. I'll work the numbers today and figure out whether we have enough bodies to run four groups or whether we have to run three. Regardless, It'll be a traditional practice format, rather than GRA style.
What is GRA style vs. traditional format?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Collins wrote:Is there room for walkups at the practice? I've apparently missed the reg deadline...

sc
No, it doesn't close until 8pm, but I moved it to midnight.
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
What is GRA style vs. traditional format?
Might mean superior (GRA) vs status quo (traditional)? :lol:

Otherwise, it may mean run all the time except when you are working vs (traditional) run only in your group and work in the morning and afternoon .. :computer: