Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ramy Mattar

Re: Condolences, Renee.

Post by Ramy Mattar »

I am sorry to hear about that Renee,
My thoughts are with you.
Larry Andrews
Car#: 0
Location: In the Santa Cruz mtns, with two chainsaws and a beer.

Post by Larry Andrews »

What can anyone say? Really, truly sad news.

I'll never forget one thing about Craig - he had a unique ability to give needed negative feedback with just the right amount of ouch, for me at least. One of my least proud moments had me throwing a bit of a temper tantrum while working master radio when two corner radios staged a revolt over a course they deemed utterly unsafe. (didn't help that I'd voiced identical concerns the night before and was blatantly rebuked) I did my best to manage the situation but wound up losing it. A bunch of people shied away from me, but Craig sternly looked me in the eye and said 'didn't know you had such a short fuse'. Don't think anyone else could have possibly gotten my attention as effectively as he did right there. He wasn't afraid and it wasn't personal. It's kinda hard not to take that seriously.

We're gonna miss ya, buddy.
Karl Asseily
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: PSCC
Car#: 911

Post by Karl Asseily »

Wow.

What a shocker this is to me.

I took almost a month-long absence from the forums due to a vacation, and the 1st thing I read when coming back is the passing away news of Craig. This is truly saddening, I am still in disbelief. I remember my 1st day of AutoX back in April 2000 when Renee showed me the ropes of what would become my favorite habbit for the 6+ years to come. In the process she of course introduced me to Craig, who right away struck me as THE authoritative guy in the community. I will never forget that day.

Craig, thank you for everything you have done. You will be SORELY missed. My thoughts are with you and Renee, even from way back overseas.

R.I.P.

Karl
David Palmquist
Car#: 0

Post by David Palmquist »

I received a message the other day announcing his passing and immediately began remembering many years of interaction with him in Solo2. His dedication to the sport for so many years is incredible and it is obviously that he will be greatly missed and not forgotten.

I remember my first Championship event back in 1992 when Craig was tech'ing my car. I had done the practice the day before and my times were pretty decent. I felt that I was going to do well that day. Then Craig turned to me and said: "You're gonna get your doors blown off, kid!". He could not have been more right! RIP Craig :thumbup:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Renee.

God Bless,

The Palmquists
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Wow gone for a couple of weeks working and return to read this. Blows your mind. Though no specific "moments" standout, a flood of snippets over the years of many events of Craig in a car, walking the track, and in the motor home came flooding in all intermixed with each other. I will most miss Craig at Board meetings. As hard as others try, no one can bring us either off topic or back on topic, as quickly and persuasively, with humor, or color, as Craig could.

Renee, my I'm so glad to read above you had such open hearts and arms available to you in the days following. You know we are all here for you and the months and years ahead.

Craig you will be missed!

(the other Craig)
James Young

Post by James Young »

Man, I came on here just to look up upcoming events and the first thing I see is the notice about Craig's memorial.

I can't really say I knew him as I only spent about 6-8 months autocrossing back in '97-'98 when I was at Cal Poly Pomona, but I still to this day remember his voice and his hilariously blunt sense of humor... even now, it makes me smile. Can't believe he's gone; I've never known an autocross event without him and even given what little contact and interaction with him, I know he's a major part of why I loved my first autocross and why even in the intervening years I've dreamt of traffic cones and parking lots.

Keep kickin' a**, Craig. You'll be missed.

Deepest condolences to Renee and the whole crew.