Where are the Teen Survival Driving Courses?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

David Huang

Where are the Teen Survival Driving Courses?

Post by David Huang »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.
I spent many years coming up the ranks from autocross, to time trials, and finally to endurance sportscar road racing, but retired a few years ago. So when my 17 yr old niece got her driver's license a few months ago, I started looking up driving programs and old friends whom I used to instruct with. What I found was that most of the programs are no longer around the Southern California area. What's left are either competitive based events like a Solo 2 events, or time trial events at Streets of Willow or Buttonwillow. Danny McKeever has a comprehensive program that I'm considering but it's $400 so I'd like to exhaust all my options first.
Like many teenage girls, her interests lie more on school, fashion, and music (hopefully in that order!); drifting a car around a corner is probably at the bottom of her list of priorities. Ideally, I'd like to find her a program that is non-intimidating, non-competitive, and real world (ie: low to medium speed) oriented. More focused on emergency maneuvers, skid control, panic stops, wet braking, etc. Seems that an autocross event is ideal. Does anybody offer such a program in SoCal?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David Huang
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Where are the Teen Survival Driving Courses?

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

David Huang wrote:I'd like to find her a program that is non-intimidating, non-competitive, and real world (ie: low to medium speed) oriented. More focused on emergency maneuvers, skid control, panic stops, wet braking, etc. Seems that an autocross event is ideal. Does anybody offer such a program in SoCal?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David Huang
Locally, BMWCCA chapter (San Diego) just held The TireRack Street Survival Schools for teenagers only. It's an annual event. Some SCCA regions do hold those events but unfortunately at this time we (Cal Club region) have not, but it is something we're considering doing in the future.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Evolution offers a teen course http://www.evoschool.com/index.php?page=classes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We put on a ladies only school in November which is great for beginners, very low key and staffed by our talented female drivers (many who are National Champions).
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

David, definitely have her attend the Ladies School that Rick Brown mentioned (completely forgot about that). That would be an excellent opportunity.
David Huang

Post by David Huang »

I looked up the Evo School and it does offer everything I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it isn't offered anywhere near us which is a shame.
Fortunately, yesterday a friend of mine sent me a link to these guys: http://www.putonthebrakes.com/driving-s ... chool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have a class near us in June so I'm going to sign her up. Thanks all for your input everybody.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

A friend's daughter is taking this one right now

http://www.masterdrive.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His other daughter took it a couple of years ago