SCCA Lincoln ProSolo - Results

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Re: SCCA Lincoln ProSolo - Results

Post by Marshall Grice »

Mark DeShon wrote:You don't drive for Tom and NOT left foot brake... I think he asks me at every event, "Are you left foot braking?" :D
Mark D.
hahaha
...well are you?
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Mark DeShon wrote:You don't drive for Tom and NOT left foot brake... I think he asks me at every event, "Are you left foot braking?" :D
Mark D.
hahaha
...well are you?
I are... And I have been for most of the time I've been autocrossing. I think he just gets confused because our techniques are so different. His is like he's nursing an egg between his foot and the brake pedal. While mine better resembles 'taking care' of a Black Widow that's on the pedal, making a B line towards my lower leg! :o
Mark D.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Mark DeShon wrote: I are... And I have been for most of the time I've been autocrossing. I think he just gets confused because our techniques are so different. His is like he's nursing an egg between his foot and the brake pedal. While mine better resembles 'taking care' of a Black Widow that's on the pedal, making a B line towards my lower leg! :o
Mark D.
hahah, I know what you mean. Or as KMo would say, "you're really good at braking".
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mark D.
Certainly faster if you can actually fit both feet on the peddles. I haven't figured out how to shove two size 13's that close. Unfortunately it looks like the data won't track or I didn't see signs of both throttle and brake on simultaneously.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Mark D.
Certainly faster if you can actually fit both feet on the peddles. I haven't figured out how to shove two size 13's that close. Unfortunately it looks like the data won't track or I didn't see signs of both throttle and brake on simultaneously.
the skiny style racing shoes. I have to wear sparco shoes to left foot brake in most cars. Tom apparently used to just buy wrestling shoes, but I co-drove with Max so I know how important it is to look snazzy.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

I have racing shoes, GM was apparently more impressed with designing for heel and toe, which my peddles are well set for. It kills me to leave what I see as two or three seconds a run on the course because my feet get in the way.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

start practicing walking pigeon toed.. :lol:
Jeff Wong
Car#: 146

Post by Jeff Wong »

Nicole is taking orders :thumbup:
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Haters gonna hate. :lol:

Actually, I would probably be smoother if I didn't use my left foot. Alas, it's a habit I just can't brake er...break.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Been left foot braking since 06' and finally when I have a chance to go to nationals, I'm forced to learn to brake with my right. For those who don't know I broke my left ankle recently. FML
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Aaron Goldsmith

Arthur Grant wrote:I have racing shoes, GM was apparently more impressed with designing for heel and toe, which my peddles are well set for. It kills me to leave what I see as two or three seconds a run on the course because my feet get in the way.
A lot of the fast guys right foot brake, Toby certainly does. It's probably more like .5 seconds if that. I believe it's faster, but it makes it much easier to brake and be a chicken.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Arthur Grant wrote:I have racing shoes, GM was apparently more impressed with designing for heel and toe, which my peddles are well set for. It kills me to leave what I see as two or three seconds a run on the course because my feet get in the way.
A lot of the fast guys right foot brake, Toby certainly does. It's probably more like .5 seconds if that. I believe it's faster, but it makes it much easier to brake and be a chicken.
Gary T right foots too. Btw left foot braking doesn't always mean pushing both Pedals at the same time you just don't have the delay between switching pedals.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Many years ago I was able to left foot brake when road racing, haven't done that in 20 years. Besides the peddle arangement in the vete, I have neuropathy in both feet from diabetes. i.e. don't have full feeling. Anyway I have watched closely as Tom has brought my vette back to the line with the brakes smoking. The advantage I see is in the way the car sets with braking and power on applications. I realize you don't have to do them together but it does work well.

I think for someone like Aaron it might only be worth tenths, but I feel if I could pull it off I would attack more confidently. I tend to be a more like Mark, hard on the brakes, hard on the throttle. I know the car is capable.

Plus even if it weren't faster and I know it is, I don't like not being able to do it. So one day when the course is short workers to run over and we have a pratice at someplace wide open like El Toro I am going to work on it.
Jeff Wong

Post by Jeff Wong »

How are you guys calculating/predicting the benefits from LFB? If it's worth 1/2 second, I'd switch.
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Justin Tsang
Car#: 88

Post by Justin Tsang »

In SFR, people are talking about the super lift :D
FSP 88 Mazda 3
STX 88 v1 Mazdaspeed 3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ, v4 WRX?
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I've tried teaching myself to LFB a bunch of times, but my pedal feel is nowhere close cuz my left foot is flat out lame. I either end up overbraking or underbraking, but the net result is slower times. I talked to Jeff S. about it last event and apparently he taught himself how to do it over a weekend. Bastard!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Aaron Goldsmith

Jeff Wong wrote:How are you guys calculating/predicting the benefits from LFB? If it's worth 1/2 second, I'd switch.
Corner to corner DL1 data between Toby and I with the throttle and brake logged. There IS time lost in the moving the foot or the getting off the gas to hit the brake, but I usually lose that because my easy access to the brake makes me use it. It also seems to allow me to drive around car problems without noticing them as much compared to Toby and Bev.. which is crappy when trying to set up a car.
Jeff Wong

Post by Jeff Wong »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Jeff Wong wrote:How are you guys calculating/predicting the benefits from LFB? If it's worth 1/2 second, I'd switch.
Corner to corner DL1 data between Toby and I with the throttle and brake logged. There IS time lost in the moving the foot or the getting off the gas to hit the brake, but I usually lose that because my easy access to the brake makes me use it. It also seems to allow me to drive around car problems without noticing them as much compared to Toby and Bev.. which is crappy when trying to set up a car.
Besides threshold braking, is there any noticeable time loss/gained from brake dragging compared to Toby? Assuming that the car is behaving properly of course.
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Aaron Goldsmith

Jeff Wong wrote: Besides threshold braking, is there any noticeable time loss/gained from brake dragging compared to Toby? Assuming that the car is behaving properly of course.
Only if I drag the brake, which I rarely do. You have to train yourself to actively hold your foot back.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Jeff Wong wrote: Besides threshold braking, is there any noticeable time loss/gained from brake dragging compared to Toby? Assuming that the car is behaving properly of course.
Only if I drag the brake, which I rarely do. You have to train yourself to actively hold your foot back.
I have been a victim to that for the longest time until I starting to train myself to stop "panic" braking or chicken braking. I believe I talked to Jeff about this problem sometime last year. Aaron is also right about LFB being a problem when setting up a car, since it promotes mid corner brake taps which interrupts mid corner steady state. This makes it difficult to actually define a handling problem and finding solutions tuning wise to fix it.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:Aaron is also right about LFB being a problem when setting up a car, since it promotes mid corner brake taps which interrupts mid corner steady state. This makes it difficult to actually define a handling problem and finding solutions tuning wise to fix it.
i disagree. If driving with two feet fixes the problem then there is no problem so long as everyone who drives the car has a similar style. Obviously there are different optimum setups for different driving styles. the only real secret to car setup driving is making sure you drive up to/beyond the limit to actually find out what the car does. Unfortunately that style of driving isn't usually very fast.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Kurt Ra wrote:I've tried teaching myself to LFB a bunch of times, but my pedal feel is nowhere close cuz my left foot is flat out lame. I either end up overbraking or underbraking, but the net result is slower times. I talked to Jeff S. about it last event and apparently he taught himself how to do it over a weekend. Bastard!
i was slower doing LFB for probably a year for the same reasons you list above, but now the investment is paying off.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

LFB was a big help driving the STX Subaru, now that I drive a momentum car I find myself (like Aaron) actively thinking about keeping my foot off the brake.

My problem isn't so much my left foot, but my right.

It seems that If I LFB and think I have over-slowed, I try to make up for it with extra throttle which in turn upsets the car, which in turn makes me slow down more, which in turn makes me try to make up for it with extra throttle....it's a vicious cycle.
Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

I switched to LFB this year, after only occasional use in years past. For me it's course dependent, in sweepers I can balance the car better, and get on the gas a bit earlier before releasing the brake 100%. But I think I'm slower on transitional courses, due to quick accurate brake stabs needed. I agree with Marshall that it will take a year to get it right.

If a shift to 3rd is needed, I RFB. LFB also helps keep boost with a turbo.

Rick
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Kurt Ra wrote:I've tried teaching myself to LFB a bunch of times, but my pedal feel is nowhere close cuz my left foot is flat out lame. I either end up overbraking or underbraking, but the net result is slower times. I talked to Jeff S. about it last event and apparently he taught himself how to do it over a weekend. Bastard!
It was a fairly natural switch for me because I've always LFB'd in racing games, which I started playing before I even got my driver's license.