Nationals Carvan thread.

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Nationals Carvan thread.

Post by Mark DeShon »

Is anybody who is skipping the Pro Finale going to be leaving here Friday or Saturday before the Nats? If so, I would like someone to caravan with. I'll be towing the Berry car (2.0), and probably be leaving Saturday morning sometime. Hit me up.
Mark D.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Nationals Carvan thread.

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm thinking about scrubbing in my free Kumhos at Nats. If I do, I'll be leaving right around the same time, and I'd love to caravan too. I'll let you know.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mark DeShon

Post by Mark DeShon »

Cool. Are you towing, or driving the Mini out? I don't want anyone to have to wait for me. :D
Mark D.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Driving the Mini.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mark DeShon wrote:Cool. Are you towing, or driving the Mini out? I don't want anyone to have to wait for me. :D
Mark D.
Remember, once you leave good old Cali, you can tow at the same speed everyone else drives. No stupid 55 BS.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And watch your gas mileage plummet :D
Mark DeShon

Post by Mark DeShon »

This deserves a bump... Anybody willing to meet up and drive out together? Probably leaving early Saturday from Rancho.
Mark D.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Rick Brown wrote:
Mark DeShon wrote:Cool. Are you towing, or driving the Mini out? I don't want anyone to have to wait for me. :D
Mark D.
Remember, once you leave good old Cali, you can tow at the same speed everyone else drives. No stupid 55 BS.
Weren't there tickets issued to guys' driving through Utah last year?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

On "The Car Show" ... the guy that took two years off to drive around the states in his Lambo ... got something like 56 speeding tickets!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Mark D.
Weren't there tickets issued to guys' driving through Utah last year?
I got one in California, just before making it into Nevada. California towing laws blow...just a revenue maker, not a safety issue.
==============
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Kurt Ra wrote: I got one in California, just before making it into Nevada. California towing laws blow...just a revenue maker, not a safety issue.
it's not safety the law is enforcing, it's environmental. cars with trailers/semi's get crappy gas mileage so they slow them down.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Kurt Ra wrote: I got one in California, just before making it into Nevada. California towing laws blow...just a revenue maker, not a safety issue.
it's not safety the law is enforcing, it's environmental. cars with trailers/semi's get crappy gas mileage so they slow them down.
I can think of about a billion and one legislative things that would have a more positive impact on the environment, especially when every other state surrounding California allows tow vehicles to drive the normal speed limit. I just don't see any legitimate justification.
==============
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Kurt Ra wrote: I can think of about a billion and one legislative things that would have a more positive impact on the environment, especially when every other state surrounding California allows tow vehicles to drive the normal speed limit. I just don't see any legitimate justification.
we get 10-15% less mileage towing the trailer at 70 than at 60. which uses roughly 2 gallons more per 100 miles. Semi's are much worse. Other states around california don't have as many vehicles driving around so the impact of slowing down the trucks and trailers is reduced. I'd consider it highly effective at reducing pollution in those cases. i do agree however that for small trailers with not much weight in them the 55mph thing is ridiculous but how do you write an enforceable law that separates them out?
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Shauna and I are leaving from Corona Saturday AM hopefully early (if I don't have to put in a couple of hours at the office). I think the plan is I-80 through Wyo. on the way out, and I-70 through CO. on the way home.
PM your contact info, unfortunately I won't know until Friday the 26th if I'll have to do some time at the office.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Kurt Ra wrote:I just don't see any legitimate justification.
Since when does California need "legitimate justification"?

I'll be towing out probably leaving sometime Sunday afternoon though (running Thur/Fri), I'm more of a lone traveller anyways. I think I'm set on going the I-15 to I-80 route, pushing the limits of my tow vehicle out there.

Jay W
Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Marshall Grice wrote:i do agree however that for small trailers with not much weight in them the 55mph thing is ridiculous but how do you write an enforceable law that separates them out?
Like Odysseys towing Harbor Freight trailers with a child's go kart on it? ;^)

Since the fuel consumption and emissions issues stem from aerodynamics and there are well-established and enforceable rules for vehicle dimensions, how about "55 mph speed limit when towing a trailer wider and/or taller than the tow vehicle" I can't think of a way to game that off the top of my head.

I'd like to see them adopt aerodynamic improvements to semi trailers; some sort of removable/retractable/foldable boat-tail off the back of a rig can't be an industry-killing thing to adopt. I already see a lot of trailers with the skirts under the box these days.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Will Kalman wrote: how about "55 mph speed limit when towing a trailer wider and/or taller than the tow vehicle" I can't think of a way to game that off the top of my head.
I can. My truck would get appendages added to the sides/top to make it bigger than trailer!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I have noticed a slight drop in mpg's as we approach 90mph.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Eric Clements wrote:I can. My truck would get appendages added to the sides/top to make it bigger than trailer!
That's my point, aren't there well-defined height and width laws? You can only take it so far.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Will Kalman wrote:
Eric Clements wrote:I can. My truck would get appendages added to the sides/top to make it bigger than trailer!
That's my point, aren't there well-defined height and width laws? You can only take it so far.
Yes, and the trailer meets them. So, we just enlarge the truck to match the trailer and get to speed down the highway at normal speeds.

I'm primarily opposed to the law for safety reasons. I maintain that speed variance is the number one cause of accidents. :D
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

[quote=]I maintain that speed variance is the number one cause of accidents. :D[/quote]

Nothing like flying down the autobahn at 125 mph and having grandma pull out in front of you going 60, and locking them all up (before antilocks). When they DO have accidents on the autobahn, cars are often shredded! :o
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

KJ Christopher wrote: I'm primarily opposed to the law for safety reasons. I maintain that speed variance is the number one cause of accidents. :D
it's not the speed difference that causes accidents, it's the sudden matching of speed that does. :lol:

besides that's why they have lane restrictions

I'd like to hear any of Kurt's billion better ideas to help the environment.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Marshall Grice wrote:I'd like to hear any of Kurt's billion better ideas to help the environment.
#362,641,401: Time stoplights better so traffic doesn't stop at every intersection, leaving them to accelerate then idle and belching out crap with minimal progress being made.
#782,610,329: Have local transportation departments better utilize the sensors in the ground, so if someone pulls up to a red light and there's no traffic going through the cross intersection, the light turns green.
:thumbup:

And BTW, it was a billion and one ideas.
==============
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Anyone have an open ride to Lincoln? Contact me with your terms and conditions!
Don Salyers
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

It looks like Stanley and I will be leaving Riverside Saturday morning---in Stan's big rig... Palero you might send Stanley a PM or email if you are still looking for a ride.

Kurt are you still leaving Saturday, Mark my cell is nine-five-one---205--65 thirty-eight....

Don