Hi! New to Cal Club

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Charles Kim

Hi! New to Cal Club

Post by Charles Kim »

Hello! I'm a very mediocre driver who loves cars. My wife and I are trying to improve our driving. We hadn't done anything remotely driver-related until 2008 and now we're trying to make up for lost time. }:)

I have a very underprepped SSM S2000 (http://scca.com/popup/raceresult.aspx?e ... &file=1044... Ivan Austin drove the car at Texas Tour) and a B-stock prepped S2000 CR that my wife drove quite well in L1 at the Lincoln ProSolo (http://scca.com/popup/raceresult.aspx?e ... &file=1051).

We also are part of a ChumpCar team in an old ITC Civic:

We live in Minnesota (normally run with mnautox / MAC and Milwaukee SCCA), but in our pursuit of all things motorsport we're looking for a friendly club to play with during the Winter. We're planning on either trailering or shipping out one of the S2000s for the Winter and flying out for a few events.

Hope to see some of you at Nationals in September and maybe this Winter as well!

:thumbup:
Charles
Last edited by Charles Kim on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Hi! New to Cal Club

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Wow, that's some serious enthusiasm! Welcome! We're a great club for winter events, and I think you'll find the folks here are really enthusiastic and helpful.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Hi Charles and is it Jocelin?

We'd love to have you come visit our events. Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help you in anyway.

Probably see you in Lincoln!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Charles, probably for about the same money as shipping and storing your car for the winter you could arrange a very good co-driver situation for you and your wife with one of the local drivers. A six month period from October thru March with a SoCal Nationally prepared S2000 or equivalent could be beneficial to all concerned.

Don
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

I would be very interested in an arrangement like that! :ibrightdea:

We have lots of wheels and tires that we could ship out in "loan" to make co-drives more attractive, too. :thumbup:
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

Well, a year and a quarter has gone by.

I got my SCCA Club Racing Competition License and Road Raced in SSB

Our ChumpCar Team upgraded to a Miata:

Did some RallyX and Ice Driving:

Did Evo School in February at El Toro and almost hit a tumbleweed that blew into the finish lane.

Went to Nats and placed 10th in B-stock. Co-driver placed 2nd and my wife took the BSL jacket. :thumbup:

The SSM car is STILL being worked on sloooooowly in Cali. I hope to get it out to an event or two this Winter.

Hopefully will get to put a few more names to faces when we come to visit!
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

I'd say your driving is coming along nicely. Great job at Nats Charles! And awesome job by Jocelyn too! She's my pick for next year! :thumbup:
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

James, it was great to get to know you better. The way a man deals with challenges and adversity says way more about their character than how they are when things are good. Much respect to you, my friend. And I literally LOL'd at your avatar. :D
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Thanks Charles. Better, stronger, faster for 2012. Yeah, that's my avatar because I've been known to drive like a North Korean, something I didn't disprove well at nationals. Hopefully that will be fixed for next year. :)
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

Here's video of my West Course day #1 run. Fourth fastest B-Stock run and 3rd fastest S2000 run behind Jadrice and Janzen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBta6ByX1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're planning on being out in October to run an event with Cal Club. Hope to see you guys there!

Anyone know what class an SSM car on crunchy Star Specs would run in? There are some Cal Club only classes that are a little confusing.... looks like "CST?"
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

CST is the right choice. It's basically the run what you brung on street tires class. (CSM is run what you brung on R-comps)

Jay W
Charles Kim wrote:Here's video of my West Course day #1 run. Fourth fastest B-Stock run and 3rd fastest S2000 run behind Jadrice and Janzen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBta6ByX1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're planning on being out in October to run an event with Cal Club. Hope to see you guys there!

Anyone know what class an SSM car on crunchy Star Specs would run in? There are some Cal Club only classes that are a little confusing.... looks like "CST?"