Course previewing via video

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: Course previewing via video

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Arthur Grant wrote:

I assume the laughing means your kidding? The video's and ability to post them and then watch your competitors and get and give comments to me are something I think really adds to the spirit.
Yes.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Nice try Clint... But killing the power last night to Socal, AZ and Mexico won't make your thread go away.
LMAO
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

My opinion is that anyone who thinks watching video before running is an unfair advantage doesn't know how to course walk. If new people need video as a crutch to help them along, i'm all for it.
Tom Denham
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

There should be a huge big screen tv , mounted on the timing vehicle,with vid of course runs, going on during the race,so everyone in grid can watch.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

I think the biggest advantage to watching a video would be getting the cadence of inputs through a slalom, Chicago box, etc. So hard to tell on a course walk, so much easier to see in "real time" on video.
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Doug Kott wrote:I think the biggest advantage to watching a video would be getting the cadence of inputs through a slalom, Chicago box, etc. So hard to tell on a course walk, so much easier to see in "real time" on video.
you'd be surprised. If you count paces for every slalom you walk, within a year you'll know how fast you'll be going through every slalom and chicago box after your first walk.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Doug Kott wrote:I think the biggest advantage to watching a video would be getting the cadence of inputs through a slalom, Chicago box, etc. So hard to tell on a course walk, so much easier to see in "real time" on video.
you'd be surprised. If you count paces for every slalom you walk, within a year you'll know how fast you'll be going through every slalom and chicago box after your first walk.

Agreed, I can tell you how much throttle we'll be able to use in a slalom in Toby's car after walking the slalom once.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Agreed, I can tell you how much throttle we'll be able to use in a slalom in Toby's car after walking the slalom once.
Good - you can tell me in my car next year!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Yeah, but to me, paces don't equate to how quickly you move your hands in succession. Maybe that comes with more experience, or it may vary per individual.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

keeping track of slalom paces will allow you to know what you can get away with speed wise IMO. For example when I drive the civic.

22 paces = steady speed slalom
23-24 paces = lift entry accelerate out slalom
25-more = flat entry, flat exit :lol:

keep in mind paces are like tire pressures... go based on your own gauge. My paces are tiny asian steps compared to wide stride course walkers.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:keeping track of slalom paces will allow you to know what you can get away with speed wise IMO. For example when I drive the civic.

keep in mind paces are like tire pressures... go based on your own gauge. My paces are tiny asian steps compared to wide stride course walkers.
Says the guy with an odometer mounted to his wheelchair...
Nice try!
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

3 extra sets of tires..
Even the richest and ultimate race series, F1, limits how many tires a competitor has available for each event. :?
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Before reading this thread, I never gave any thought to the topic.

After reading this thread, I will never give any further thought to the topic :D
Bill Schenker
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Max Hayter wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Good - you can tell me in my car next year!
All of it!....
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Bill Schenker wrote:
All of it!....
I'm sure if we were running your cheater Ho Ho's, that would be true. However, on the M&S bricks we are forced to run with, that is not the case!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:keeping track of slalom paces will allow you to know what you can get away with speed wise IMO. For example when I drive the civic.

You shouldn't ever have to lift with an ST (Stand on Throttle) Civic! :mrgreen:
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

What's this? .....a computer from India butting-in on a 6 year old conversation? :clap:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head