Nationals thanks and thoughts ( belated )

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 72

Nationals thanks and thoughts ( belated )

Post by Tom Berry »

Some thoughts about the Solo Nationals: ( I know... a few weeks late! )
- HUGE thanks to Mari and Eric for chairing the event for the second year! I think the whole event came off very well which is a direct relation to the hard work these two put into this. I dont think that many of us can fathom the amount of effort this is. And they have agreed to do it again for next year.... the 40th annual Nationals. Hope that you all can make it out to Lincoln.

-I think we need to call Toby Larsson "The Giant Killer". What an amazing feat that was. For anyone that has been under a rock for the last 21 or so years.....John Thomas ( the gent that Toby beat) is the winningest driver in SCCA solo open class history. Mr Thomas has been to natinals 21 times, and has won 17 of those times. That puts Toby in a very elite group of only about 5 or 6 drivers in 21 years that has been able to beat John at nationals. This is quite a testament to Toby's driving skill and his amazing car set- up prowess. Bev also had a great drive, besting some big names in FPL. Congrats to both.

-I think we have some of the best ST/STX civic drivers in the country! Great jobs by Jeff, Seb, Nicole, Shauna, Jon.... etc. Did I read the results correctly? Would Seb's times have won him a jacket in ST??? Also of note in STX was Jeff Stuart, who on his first time to Nationals was 5th in STX and the top "non-Civic". Great driving!

- Ryan Buetzer. Enough said! Wow.

-Cal Club as a region was represented very well in Lincoln! Not just for outstanding driving, but for being some of the key people there to make the event happen. We also had lots of "first timers" there.... its great to see them there and having fun.

- Hope to see everyone there for next year!
Tom
Karl Asseily
Club: PSCC
Car#: 911

Re: Nationals thanks and thoughts ( belated )

Post by Karl Asseily »

I'm still a lurker here, and really enjoy reading posts like this.

This is the reason I was so proud to have been part of this club. You guys rock !!!

Until next time we meet,

Karl
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Not to steal my own thunder, but ST ran the west course in drying conditions where it came down to a final lap shootout. I had three opportunities to over-drive on a dry rubbered in course.
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Not to steal my own thunder, but ST ran the west course in drying conditions where it came down to a final lap shootout. I had three opportunities to over-drive on a dry rubbered in course.
I thought that "over-driving" was the way you are supposed to do the "ST Civic" thing.
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Speaking of HUGE thanks, Berry Family Racing gets some love from me. They were kind enough to transport my rain tires to and from Lincoln and when I approached Tom about compensation his reply: "I'm not worried about it, take me out to dinner sometime if you'd like". How neat. And this is after their tow vehicle died in Colorado. Sometimes it's hard to find the right words to describe the good folks in the Solo community.

BTW Tom, what was the resolution for your truck?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Tom Berry wrote: I thought that "over-driving" was the way you are supposed to do the "ST Civic" thing.
The comparison between Wong and Rios through transitions was startling. Wong just glided through, no extra effort. Rios was thrashing and correcting all over the place elbows flying. Seb's last lap he got really late and out of position, I thought he'd thrown it all away. Then his great time came up. Obviously, he was doing something really well out there.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Berry wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:Not to steal my own thunder, but ST ran the west course in drying conditions where it came down to a final lap shootout. I had three opportunities to over-drive on a dry rubbered in course.
I thought that "over-driving" was the way you are supposed to do the "ST Civic" thing.
:ibrightdea: Maybe I need to buy the Lugodmobile!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Berry wrote:-I think we have some of the best ST/STX civic drivers in the country!
I want to see Jeff and Andy run in the same class at the same time. That would be really fun to watch!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kurt Ra wrote:
Tom Berry wrote:-I think we have some of the best ST/STX civic drivers in the country!
I want to see Jeff and Andy run in the same class at the same time. That would be really fun to watch!
On a course designed by Roger Johnson.

I'm not sure what Jeff is doing in 2012. Andy sold his car to Jim Hornish.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600