Ladies School Coming - Need More Instructors!!!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Lisa Severy

Ladies School Coming - Need More Instructors!!!

Post by Lisa Severy »

I am still hoping to get 3 to 4 more women instructors to volunteer for this event.

Here is the list of confirmed instructors:
1. Jo Ann Lynch
2. Mindi Cross
3. Shauna Rios
4. Theresa Berry
5. Lisa Berry
6. Katianna Pihakari
7. Suzanne Segal
8. Nicole Nagler
9. Diane Cadenhead
10. Christine Newcomer
11. Carol Beach
12. Karen Zaterman
Plus me

Thank you so much for supporting this event!
Last edited by Lisa Severy on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Jo Ann Lynch
Car#: 0

Re: Ladies School Coming - Instructors Wanted

Post by Jo Ann Lynch »

Lisa, if the format is like last year, I can handle one lady in the morning and one lady in the afternoon. I cannot manage the hopping from car to car any more. Jo Ann
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Thank you, Jo Ann. It is so nice to know I can always count on you!
So far - Jo Ann is the only one to respond to my message here or via e-mail.
Once again, I kindly ask for the qualified women instructors in our organization to let me know as soon as possible of their availability or not. The event is a unique tradition that has been a part of our club's DNA for a while. I hope more of you will be joining us! It really helps me if I know who will be supporting the event sooner rather than later. The earlier I get things squared away, the better all the way around. Thank you for your support!
Sincerely, Lisa
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen and Katie were thinking of doing the school as students, although in the past Karen's been an enthusiastic Beginners Instructor ... and Katie is on her way to her 2nd US National Rally Championship. Both were looking for high speed corner "lessons"
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

I know this is a touchy subject, but if you allowed Male instructors, I'm sure you could find enough mild mannered ones who would do a wonderful job instructing. Maybe you could ask the students if having a Male instructor would be intimidating and assign them to the women instructors. Actually to make the instructor requirement female only is sexist, to think that todays modern woman would be intimidated by a male instructor is short sighted and demeaning.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

There is an inherent difference in teaching styles and communication between men/women. We train people where i work all day and I see this first hand very often between our male/female trainers and their interactions. If I may say, there's no ill will intended in the decision to have women instruct.
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

Dan Shaw wrote:There is an inherent difference in teaching styles and communication between men/women. We train people where i work all day and I see this first hand very often between our male/female trainers and their interactions. If I may say, there's no ill will intended in the decision to have women instruct.
Agreed but if you can't get any women to instruct ... you need to find other instructors.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Art,

Organizing instructors on the public forum isn't the same as a statement that we don't have instructors. We most certainly do, including some who love this event so much that they're driving from out of state to help. I agree with Dan's assessment and experience, plus female instructors are a core part of the operation that has been approved by the region's board.

There are still lots of things that need to come together for that weekend though, and *all* volunteers are of course welcome to join us. Even during the school, we need coverage for the gate, timeslips, grid, starter, cone shaggers, etc. We need a course that's both fun and challenging for the practice event and our main event - Autocross Sunday - and is still easily "seen" by novice drivers. If you'd like to help, please join us!

Mike
Stacey Miller
Club: CASOC
Car#: 115

Re: Ladies School Coming - Need More Instructors!!!

Post by Stacey Miller »

Lisa,

I apologize. I am very rarely on the boards and I never look at home email. I rely on Steve to tell me and he just let me know at the end of last week.

I think I am going to bow out for this year. I really want to spend the holiday weekend with family in a more leisurely manner. However, keep me in mind for next year as I do enjoy instructing.

Stacey
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Since we always have a lot of new comers and "outsiders" for this event, can there be a Flyer that I can link to in my endeavors to advertise the event ... that doesn't require intimate knowledge of our web sites ;)
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Lisa,

I meant to talk to you yesterday but as the day wrapped up I forgot to! :shock: I figured I'd post my question on the forum in case anyone else has the same one.

I'd like to come and volunteer on Saturday. Since I'm new to the club and haven't been around for one of the Ladies Schools before, I was wondering if there is going to be a public "call for workers" on the board leading up to the event, or should I just come by Saturday morning?
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Hi Davin,
All volunteer workers are deeply appreciated! Thank you for volunteering. Please show up Saturday between 7:00 and 7:30 AM. I will be putting out the call for more volunteers as many are needed to keep the event running smoothly.
Carol Beach-Flaherty
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 999

Post by Carol Beach-Flaherty »

Hi Lisa,
I just emailed you and George this morning. Yes, I can instruct. You can put me down for RWD or AWD, but beginners please :)
Sorry for the delay. I haven't checked email consistently or been on this board.
We'll probably bring the Subaru out because the Z06 needs new shoes.

Carol
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I know the Waers are taking an indefinite break from autocross.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Gayle Jardine
Club Representative
Club: TCC
Car#: 89

Post by Gayle Jardine »

Lisa,
Diane Cadenhead asked me at the last event to tell you - YES, she will instruct.
gayle