Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

John Stimson
Club: PSCC
Car#: 124

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by John Stimson »

KJ Christopher wrote:No meaning, but a better indexed time.

(Novice's don't always come out of stock classes and all running street tires, so you can't say it s proportionally the same.)
My mistake -- I did not realize that there was an overall index applied to the SK classes.
Last edited by John Stimson on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Yang

Post by Thomas Yang »

Hi everyone!

I've just got introduced to autocross. I had the chance to attended the novice school last week at El Toro for the first time. Very excited!!
My instructor told me to come here and get my car classed so I hope everyone here can help me out a bit. :D

I drive a 2002 Mercedes C230 kompressor coupe (W203 still a 4 seater)

Engine: factory I4 supercharged 2.2L but with supersprint headers, race-cat, exhaust (together all able to pass smog)
Suspension: H&R front and back anti-sway bars, bilstien PSS9 coilovers, S55 AMG wheel (R18 front 225 rear 245) factory tires (side wall hard to read at the moment)

everything else will remain stock...

please help me classified the best class that I should be in!! :thumbup:
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

STU - so long as you stay on tires with a tread wear rating of 140 or higher, and don't mess with the supercharger pulley size.
Doug Kott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

You can also run CST (California Street Tire), a very popular local class where the only requirements are the the car be street licensed/legal and have street tires with a 140 or greater treadwear number. Car doesn't have to be built to a class.

Another option is to run TO (Time Only), where it doesn't matter what's been done to the car.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Glad to see you found us, Thomas! I agree with Doug: the easiest and most fun class for you would probably be CST. You wouldn't have to worry about any of your mods, and the class is one of the best subscribed event to event. You'd have a great time. Next event you attend, find me and we'll continue where we left off last weekend.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tim Doran

Post by Tim Doran »

Another newb from last weekend's class at El Toro...how about this one. 68 Porsche 912, 1850 big bore kit fairly mild cam, Webers, aftermarket dist and msd, poly/bronze suspension bushings, bilsteins, lowered, bump steer spacers, aftermarket front sway bar, street tires. And what runs in the same class?
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Tim, your 912 is also CST.
:-)

The stroker kit makes it illegal for most classes, except for SSM, XP and DM. All of which have ludicrously fast cars.

I'm guessing the guys in "Historic" would be willing to make you some sort of deal on negotiating a pax index though...
Last edited by Robert Puertas on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Tim Doran wrote: 68 Porsche 912
Everyone who shows up and run's 140 or greater tread wear is CST legal (a local only "run what you brung" class). Not on 140+, but something less, then CSM (Also a local only "run what you brung" class).

So far as National classes...

I'm no expert on the different Mods, and what each class allowed... I can tell you your NOT in a "Stock" class.
If the car meets SP (Street Prepared) rule set, the SP class would be: SPF
Prep is a little more difficult as some cars are in more than one class, but I only see the 912 listed in DP (D Prepaired)
Mod (Modified) would require a sit down with the rule set as it's all about engine sizes, weights and a whole lot of other "little" stuff beyond what you listed.

While the local classes have many competitors, CST being one of the largest classes, properly classing your car, and getting to know the drivers in your national class often creates a deeper commitment, and longer lasting relationship with the sport.
Tim Doran

Post by Tim Doran »

Thanks, CST it is.
I was hoping I would be in a class with just one other guy, so I could at least get second place... :cry: :D
Kyle O'Rourke
Car#: 860

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

Hello All,

I participated in the last Novice school and 2 practice events. I spoke with my instructor (Mike Kaz) and he thinks I am in the modified class but I wanted to double check. I'm thinking of participating in some upcoming champ events.

Car: 97 Honda Prelude (base)

Engine/Drivetrain: Lightweight flywheel, JDM prelude transmission (LSD and shorter gear ratios), AEM short ram intake (carb), DC header (carb), stand alone ecu, custom 2.5" exhaust with high-flow cat.

Body/Suspension: Progress rear sway bar, tein HA adjustable coilovers, cusco upper front and rear strut braces, CF hood, misc weight reduction (a/c and cruise control delete).

Wheels/Brakes: 16x8 rims, 245/45/16 Kuhmo V700 50 tread rating (going to be replaced with 225/50/16 Hankook R-S3 w/ 140 wear soon), SS brake lines.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Kyle,
The tranny sway puts you in Prepared or Street Mod, unless that tranny and gears came on a Prelude that's on the same line in the rule book under your car's Street Prepared listing...

So, you're looking at SMF nationally, or locally, CST once you mount the kooks.
Kyle O'Rourke
Car#: 860

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

Robert Puertas wrote:Kyle,
The tranny sway puts you in Prepared or Street Mod, unless that tranny and gears came on a Prelude that's on the same line in the rule book under your car's Street Prepared listing...

So, you're looking at SMF nationally, or locally, CST once you mount the kooks.
Alright thanks. I will check the rule book but I'm pretty sure the transmission won't check out. Also can't wait to try out the r-s3 tires. I'm running the V700s now since I managed to get them for a price I could not refuse.
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Classing gurus,

What class would a 2011 Shelby GT500 fit into? I'm asking on behalf of a friend. Car is stock on orig. tires, so he'd probably go the SK1 route.

Thanks!

--Doug
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Doug Kott wrote:Classing gurus,

What class would a 2011 Shelby GT500 fit into? I'm asking on behalf of a friend. Car is stock on orig. tires, so he'd probably go the SK1 route.

Thanks!

--Doug
BS - Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (2007-11)
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Thanks, Christine!
Ronnie Wilson

Re: 2010 SS Camaro runs in what class?

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

]Hello, I drive a 2010 SS Camaro with exhaust Mods what class do i have to run in. I am new to auto cross and plan on attending most events this year. I want to run in a class which would allow me to try for a points championship if there is such a thing in autocross ? Does any one else run a 5th generation at the autocross events? I would also like to know if i could run in a higher class once my car get tech and classified in it's to be class if that make since? If it has mild mods can i race it still in a street prep class i just want to get extra track time and i can't make it down for practice due to work on Saturday any suggestion out there
Thank you i can't wait this has been a long time dream of mine to run in autocross never knew how easy it was to get entered into a event, i really appreciate all of the help from everyone at Cal-club solo.
}:) :twisted: :twisted:
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Re: 2010 SS Camaro runs in what class?

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Ronnie Wilson wrote:]Hello, I drive a 2010 SS Camaro with exhaust Mods what class do i have to run in. I am new to auto cross and plan on attending most events this year. I want to run in a class which would allow me to try for a points championship if there is such a thing in autocross ? Does any one else run a 5th generation at the autocross events? I would also like to know if i could run in a higher class once my car get tech and classified in it's to be class if that make since? If it has mild mods can i race it still in a street prep class i just want to get extra track time and i can't make it down for practice due to work on Saturday any suggestion out there
Thank you i can't wait this has been a long time dream of mine to run in autocross never knew how easy it was to get entered into a event, i really appreciate all of the help from everyone at Cal-club solo.
}:) :twisted: :twisted:
What kind of exaust mods?

You can always run 'up' in classes, but you only get to compete in one class. If you want more runs on a champ day you can sign up for X runs, which are basically extra runs that don't count for much.

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Stock class allows any catback exhaust as long as it exits behind the driver. You can run any qualified DOT tire on stock sized wheels. You can change the front sway bar. You can change alignment within factory range is adjustment is available or if factory shop manual or TSB's designate an approved crash bolt set. The biggest change you can make in stock is the shock absorbers. Those get crazy and expensive in our sport. At the national level you'll see Penske's, Moton's, high-end Koni's costing a grand a corner and up. You can find scca solo rules online at http://www.scca.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; go to solo then go to cars and rules. The 2012 is a draft that you can probably rely on. Never too sure what strange drugs the rules makers are on in any given off season. Stock class is in Section 13.

Unfortunately, you may not find any competition in F-Stock locally which is the stock class for normal pony cars. Year to year its always different. On Motorsports Reg, you can check out the registration list for next Sunday to see who has signed up in what class.

Locally, we have an option that is very well subscribed and may be a good option for you to run in for season points. That is called Stock 1 or SK1. It takes the higher horsepower half of stock classes, I think, SS, AS, BS, and FS and runs them together using an index applied to the raw times to balance cars from different classes. You can find the indexes by googling 2012 RTP-Pax. In our local SK1, it is a "street tire" class. All cars have to comply with stock class rules, except that tires are further limited to qualified DOT tires with a UTOQ treadwear rating of 140 or greater. This is a very popular class for locals and is very competitive. I think we had something like 27 drivers run for points over the course of the year in SK1. Nice that you don't need R-compounds to be competitive in this class. Of course, some say high horsepower cars on street tires is like kissing your sister. At least with a 5th gen Camaro SS, your sister is hot.

As for higher class heirarchies. The next step up is Street Touring. I think the SS would be in Street Touring Ultra. See section 14 of the rules book. Street tires over 140 treadwear and 285 limit in size. Any wheel size. Headers and a single relocated race cat. Any engine tuning in the ECU. Factory blueprint. Significant suspension allowances. Race seats (of at least 25lbs each). Battery change and relocation. And more.

The next step is Street Prepared. ESP is the class for the SS. Not much street in Street Prepared. Any induction, more liberal rebuild rules. Any induction. Significant suspension allowances. Any wheel and any qualified DOT tire. And something called update/backdate which allows you to do some mixing and matching with other years and models on the same line in the car classification guide in the rules.

All national classes can run in our local Pax class which combines the cars with an index adjustment. Our region's pax class is arguably the toughest in the nation. If you qualify as a novice, we also have a year long novice competition based on national classing and indexed. You enter in Novice and season points are based on your best 6 events of the season. We'll probably run about 13. An average season will be 13 events dropping 3 for season points. That can always change. We've been flooded out or the track closed or hurricane winds that have cancelled events. Sometimes we can make them up, sometimes the schedule doesn't allow an open date.

So lots of options to fit you and your car. Welcome to our sport. Remember Sunday events are open and haven't filled in years, pre-reg is preferred, but walk-ups are taken. Saturday practices are harder to get in to and need advanced registration. The procedures for entering practices vary each month. The main reason is that we are an association of individual clubs that host events under the SCCA region 19 sanction. Our local bylaws give these individual clubs some leeway to run their hosted practices as they desire within parameters. The Sunday points events they host are more uniform. That catches a lot of new people early on, so I thought I'd point it out now. Best thing to do is follow the events section of the forums and look for event flyers to be released on Motorsports Reg. Then be sure to read the directions and info for that event carefully.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You can change the front sway bar.
Changed for 2012 - you can change a single sway bar, front or rear, in stock class.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Stock class allows any catback exhaust as long as it exits behind the driver. You can run any qualified DOT tire on stock sized wheels. You can change the front sway bar. You can change alignment within factory range is adjustment is available or if factory shop manual or TSB's designate an approved crash bolt set. The biggest change you can make in stock is the shock absorbers. Those get crazy and expensive in our sport. At the national level you'll see Penske's, Moton's, high-end Koni's costing a grand a corner and up. You can find scca solo rules online at http://www.scca.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; go to solo then go to cars and rules. The 2012 is a draft that you can probably rely on. Never too sure what strange drugs the rules makers are on in any given off season. Stock class is in Section 13.

Unfortunately, you may not find any competition in F-Stock locally which is the stock class for normal pony cars. Year to year its always different. On Motorsports Reg, you can check out the registration list for next Sunday to see who has signed up in what class.

Locally, we have an option that is very well subscribed and may be a good option for you to run in for season points. That is called Stock 1 or SK1. It takes the higher horsepower half of stock classes, I think, SS, AS, BS, and FS and runs them together using an index applied to the raw times to balance cars from different classes. You can find the indexes by googling 2012 RTP-Pax. In our local SK1, it is a "street tire" class. All cars have to comply with stock class rules, except that tires are further limited to qualified DOT tires with a UTOQ treadwear rating of 140 or greater. This is a very popular class for locals and is very competitive. I think we had something like 27 drivers run for points over the course of the year in SK1. Nice that you don't need R-compounds to be competitive in this class. Of course, some say high horsepower cars on street tires is like kissing your sister. At least with a 5th gen Camaro SS, your sister is hot.

As for higher class heirarchies. The next step up is Street Touring. I think the SS would be in Street Touring Ultra. See section 14 of the rules book. Street tires over 140 treadwear and 285 limit in size. Any wheel size. Headers and a single relocated race cat. Any engine tuning in the ECU. Factory blueprint. Significant suspension allowances. Race seats (of at least 25lbs each). Battery change and relocation. And more.

The next step is Street Prepared. ESP is the class for the SS. Not much street in Street Prepared. Any induction, more liberal rebuild rules. Any induction. Significant suspension allowances. Any wheel and any qualified DOT tire. And something called update/backdate which allows you to do some mixing and matching with other years and models on the same line in the car classification guide in the rules.

All national classes can run in our local Pax class which combines the cars with an index adjustment. Our region's pax class is arguably the toughest in the nation. If you qualify as a novice, we also have a year long novice competition based on national classing and indexed. You enter in Novice and season points are based on your best 6 events of the season. We'll probably run about 13. An average season will be 13 events dropping 3 for season points. That can always change. We've been flooded out or the track closed or hurricane winds that have cancelled events. Sometimes we can make them up, sometimes the schedule doesn't allow an open date.

So lots of options to fit you and your car. Welcome to our sport. Remember Sunday events are open and haven't filled in years, pre-reg is preferred, but walk-ups are taken. Saturday practices are harder to get in to and need advanced registration. The procedures for entering practices vary each month. The main reason is that we are an association of individual clubs that host events under the SCCA region 19 sanction. Our local bylaws give these individual clubs some leeway to run their hosted practices as they desire within parameters. The Sunday points events they host are more uniform. That catches a lot of new people early on, so I thought I'd point it out now. Best thing to do is follow the events section of the forums and look for event flyers to be released on Motorsports Reg. Then be sure to read the directions and info for that event carefully.
Wow, great post, Steve! We ought to sticky it.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Wow! Thanks that was a lot of info to take in at once. It seems as if sk1 will be the class i will be running in this weekend i am already signed up just don't know what class i will make some changes the day of the event hopefully,Thanks again!! :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Ronnie Wilson wrote:Wow! Thanks that was a lot of info to take in at once. It seems as if sk1 will be the class i will be running in this weekend i am already signed up just don't know what class i will make some changes the day of the event hopefully,Thanks again!! :D
Hey Ronnie, do you have an SCCA membership? MotorsportReg doesn't show that you have a valid membership. If you do, then the reason it doesn't verify is often a mismatch between your name on MotorsportReg and on your SCCA membership. MotorsportReg must match your SCCA card exactly. If you don't have an SCCA membership you can purchase a weekend one at the event, but you should edit your registration to include the $15 for the temp membership.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Ronnie- If you don't have an SCCA membership yet, you'll need one. If you get the $15 one weekend membership to cover you this first race, keep the receipt. It will give you a discount towards a full year membership you get on SCCA.org. You can also get a discount for a referral. Gayle Jardine should be at registration on Sunday and have applications with her number for a referral and can explain the process better than I can. If you want to go ahead and get the year membership now, you're welcome to use my number, 290730 for a referral. Region 019 is our region. You will need to go to the membership section and print out your license information to bring to the event since it takes about two weeks to get the card and membership package in the mail.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Ronnie Wilson wrote:Wow! Thanks that was a lot of info to take in at once. It seems as if sk1 will be the class i will be running in this weekend i am already signed up just don't know what class i will make some changes the day of the event hopefully,Thanks again!! :D
Hmm....SK1 with an FS index. We should talk!!! :lol: j/k Hope to see you there on Sunday, and welcome to the sport.
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

So, if I decide to run Mako's ITA prepped Miata on Sunday instead of the Vette in CST, what class choices do I have? For those of you that haven't looked at the red NA Miata, full race car, roll cage etc...
I have an option of street tires (Toyos) or R-comps.
Attachments
VP2_533x800_6328-vi.jpg
VP2_533x800_6328-vi.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 10535 times
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?