Dec. autocross...hardship, resolve, tenacity!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Doug Kott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 300

Dec. autocross...hardship, resolve, tenacity!

Post by Doug Kott »

A big thanks to all who ran the event. Considering the Berry Evo's throwing big chunks of rear diff and oil on the track, the timing light crisis, the Bjoin-mobile breaking a tie rod, etc., it was a fantastic event that finished while there was still daylight. To everyone in the timing trailer....way to keep your cool and restore order! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great course, Bjoins! It was doubly sad that you had the steering issue...I heard that you were really fast in practice. The layout was a really balanced combination of elements, and that slalom at the end was a real tester!
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Re: Dec. autocross...hardship, resolve, tenacity!

Post by Max Hayter »

I really admired how calm Christine was in dealing with timing issues. Had it been me, I think I would have just crawled under the CTV and started crying!

Great course from Nick, both days :thumbup:

I hope the damage is not too bad on the Bjorn MX5 - it had me worried driving home that mine might go as well!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

... and particularly a HUGE thanks to Christine and Stacey -- without their understanding & fix-it-on the fly attitude, and despite my shoddy and unsuccessful attempts to create number panels at the last minute... :oops: :roll:
... Nick would not have been able to experience his course design in my car.

thank you all!
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Max Hayter wrote:I really admired how calm Christine was in dealing with timing issues. Had it been me, I think I would have just crawled under the CTV and started crying!
I started this morning by asking Christine, "so how did sunday go"... i just wanted to find out about her standing in the year end point battle.. :P

she started naming off the problems, and every time i thought she was done, "there's more".. :shock:

sounds like it was definitely an event to remember.. :P
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Yes this event turned out to be a challenge. I want to thank everyone for their cooperation in dealing with the delays.

We think we've figured out he timing issues and hope to avoid a repeat in the future. Broken cars will happen from time to time. We just hit the jackpot on this day.

I want to extend a big thank you to all the chiefs and key personnel for the weekend who performed flawlessly. Also, a big thanks to those who helped us pack up in record time at the end of day. This was a wonderful group effort, but a special thanks goes out to those that took the initiative to lead the effort. I truly appreciate all who stepped up.

See you in January.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

I confirmed on my "official" points keeper spreadsheet...

Max wins STR for the year by 0.255 points

:shock:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Christine Berry wrote:I confirmed on my "official" points keeper spreadsheet...

keeping it exciting.. :lol:
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Wow! Sounds like a lot happened after I left. Henry and Nick, great course. I really enjoyed it!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Was thinking about you guys all day Sunday. Wish I could have been there to help. Were the timing problems with the timer/lights or the computer(s)?

(Having email issues since home from the hospital, so it anyone sent me anything I haven't seen it yet.)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Christine Berry wrote:I confirmed on my "official" points keeper spreadsheet...

That's about 25/1000ths of a second over the course of the year. Crazy stuff!

Shaun is going off road racing next year, so we will miss him horribly. Hopefully he will make some guest appearances.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Rick Brown wrote:Was thinking about you guys all day Sunday. Wish I could have been there to help. Were the timing problems with the timer/lights or the computer(s)?

(Having email issues since home from the hospital, so it anyone sent me anything I haven't seen it yet.)
Ah, which is why you didn't post anything from the event files I sent you... I see.

I'll give you a complete report on the light issues soon.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Congrats, Max! :thumbup: I'll put a box of tissues and a quart of ice cream in Shaun's office.

Maybe Shaun can co-drive with me at Nats next year. Katy's got first dibs, but if she decides not to go...
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What is Sean going to road race nxt year? I know he was "testing" a GT-3 RS Hybrid!
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Mako Koiwai wrote:What is Sean going to road race nxt year? I know he was "testing" a GT-3 RS Hybrid!
Spec Miata I think.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

I'll just add to what's been said and give kudos to ALL those in charge of the various event components.
Even with the delays, it was a great event. Saturday, in particular was a perfect weather day. Sunday got a little cool in the afternoon but no complaints here.

Our BIG CONGRATS go out to Henry and Co. for the track design. It was a great layout with fast, as well as tricky sections.

Congrats to Max AND Shawn. You guys gave us a show. You inspire us.

And a special thank you to Steve Abbott for some 'tips". You know your sh%t, dude. And you're a pleasure to watch.

Sharon and I had a ball. She could not believe how well she ran on Saturday, only her second Saturday, the first being ladies school. She finished the day with a 59.7 in our little NA Mia. I could not be more proud of her. And I have to add that Saturday was a ball. Each of us got something like 16 runs. WOW!!!

And, finally, a "thanks" to that young guy that realized that the "99 %" really should have the digital on top of the Motorhome turned so that we could also enjoy the show.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Great course Nick and Henry !! One of the best of the year!
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

+1 on all the kind words to those who made it work. Great job! Especially to Christine. I'm not sure how calm she really was inside, but she's a Berry. She operates well under pressure, and that allowed the event to be a successful one. Also big thanks to George Schilling for making the tough executive decisions. Many miles were put on that scooter of his this weekend. And thanks to everyone who volunteered their trucks and their bodies for a fast wrap up under impending darkness. Thanks to all the competitors and course workers for their patience through the many interruptions. I heard plenty of jokes, but absolutely no complaints. And finally, big thanks to Nick and Henry for an amazing course that totally kicked my butt, but was still super fun to drive and well balance. Excellent job! :thumbup:
High points of mention: Obviously congrats to Max for his STR championship win by the butt hairs! Also congrats to James Yom for his STR class win (I believe his first). Great job Marshall for a 'spectacular' overall PAX win. Also an awesome performance from Jeff Wong, coming in a very close 2nd in PAX under probably the worst track conditions of the day. And last but certainly not least, props to Jeff Stuart for a 6th in overall PAX with an SK2 car! :o
Mark D.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Mark DeShon wrote:+1 on all the kind words to those who made it work. Great job! Especially to Christine. I'm not sure how calm she really was inside, but she's a Berry. She operates well under pressure, and that allowed the event to be a successful one. Also big thanks to George Schilling for making the tough executive decisions. Many miles were put on that scooter of his this weekend. And thanks to everyone who volunteered their trucks and their bodies for a fast wrap up under impending darkness. Thanks to all the competitors and course workers for their patience through the many interruptions. I heard plenty of jokes, but absolutely no complaints. And finally, big thanks to Nick and Henry for an amazing course that totally kicked my butt, but was still super fun to drive and well balance. Excellent job! :thumbup:
High points of mention: Obviously congrats to Max for his STR championship win by the butt hairs! Also congrats to James Yom for his STR class win (I believe his first). Great job Marshall for a 'spectacular' overall PAX win. Also an awesome performance from Jeff Wong, coming in a very close 2nd in PAX under probably the worst track conditions of the day. And last but certainly not least, props to Jeff Stuart for a 6th in overall PAX with an SK2 car! :o
Mark D.

oh great... so now im James Yom... as if being Palero wasn't enough :roll: i guess us slanty eye'd people all look the same. LOL :lol:

im j.k thanks... it was my first win in STR and can't wait for the next event of 2012!!!
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I've got a couple of those "Who Am I" t-shirts left ... we should make Mark D. wear one. ;)
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Hahaha... oops.. Sorry, Jonathan! Long week last week. Busy night last night. And a going-on-4-day migrain! :? I knew who I meant! Congrats just the same.
Mako, if you ship it, I'll wear it. ;)
Mark D.
Henry Bjoin
Car#: 91

Post by Henry Bjoin »

Don't you just hate when this happens
MX-5-Damage.jpg
MX-5-Damage.jpg (131.22 KiB) Viewed 12079 times
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Must be all the Gs generated by the big Toyo tires. ;)
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Henry Bjoin wrote:Don't you just hate when this happens
MX-5-Damage.jpg
Nasty...that sucks. Did you feel a wobble before it let go?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Dunlop Star Specs ... enough grip to rip your suspension apart!
Henry Bjoin
Car#: 91

Post by Henry Bjoin »

Doug Kott wrote:
Henry Bjoin wrote:Don't you just hate when this happens
MX-5-Damage.jpg
Nasty...that sucks. Did you feel a wobble before it let go?
No warning wobble, it just snapped and dropped like a stone