General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Gayle Jardine
Club Representative
Club: TCC
Car#: 89

SAD, SAD NEWS

Post by Gayle Jardine »

Renee Angel peacefully passed away at 10:05 this morning. She was surrounded by family and friends who love her. As soon as memorial information is arranged, I will let everyone know.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: SAD, SAD NEWS

Post by Rick Brown »

While not completely unexpected, this is very sad news. She was truly one of a kind, memorable woman who left an impression on everyone she met. Her contributions to the Solo community and CalClub as a whole were tremendous. Goodbye Boom Boom.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Rick Brown wrote:While not completely unexpected, this is very sad news. She was truly one of a kind, memorable woman who left an impression on everyone she met. Her contributions to the Solo community and CalClub as a whole were tremendous. Goodbye Boom Boom.
Well said Rick. Thank you for letting us know Gayle. I will miss her. :(
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Very sad news. Her battle with cancer was remarkable and inspiring. I'll miss you Renee.
Thomas Smith
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

A sad day, indeed.

Renee was an unforgettable person and she left an impression on everyone who met her. Rest in peace.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

:cry:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

As Rick said, not unexpected, but a sad day for us all. She will always be in my thoughts when at any event.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Imagine heaven with Renee and Craig. They are setting up cones right now just inside the pearly gates. God speed Renee.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Renee ... WINNER, in Life and Racing

John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

This is a very sad day. She will be sorely missed.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Renee, a Champ

Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

RIP, Renee. You will be missed.

On perhaps my second event ever with SCCA she walked up to me, called me by name and then spelled it out loud correctly. I was floored. Right there I knew I had found a sport filled with great people. And Renee led the pack. And yet she was one of kind. And no one could roll their eyes like she could. One look from her spoke volumes.

Yeah, I'm really gonna miss her.

[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

OMG! Lost for words.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Rest in Peace Renee. You are now amongst the angels...and the OTHER Angel....Craig.
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Being the club rep for No$ Renee was one of the first people I met when I started autocross, and she welcomed me from day 1. When I was new she went out of her way to make sure I new what to do and when. And as I've aged, she did her best to get me work assignments that didn't require 3 days of pain killers to get over.

We've all met a few people that for one reason or another come to mind when we think of interesting folks we've met. She certainly made my list. We're all better for having known her. I'll miss her. :cry:

Steve Towers
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what to say and where to start. Renee was one of my best friends and I will miss her very much. Thankfully, Dave and I had a nice visit with her a week ago - We had some good laughs sharing memories from over the past 30 some-odd years.
She loved the sport of Solo fiercely. She certainly had a tremendous influence and impact on our club and sport. And of course - we'd never have had a Ladies School, if it weren't for Renee.
Rest in peace, Renee. I trust that you and Craig have already met up and that the two of you are together forever. Hopefully, Heaven does allow sports cars and muscle cars so that you both can race around in the clouds.
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

I'm speechless. You'll be missed, Renee. Rest in peace.
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

As for everyone else, I am lost for words. At every event she would always greet me with the warmest smile and hugs. She was there when I needed someone to talk to.
I will always remember the last conversation we had because it was by far the most motivational and inspiring.

Thank you for everything Renee. You are now in God's hands. I know you will always look out for us from up above.
Last edited by Mike Yanase on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Renee was the first person I met at and autocross... She said go away. Craig overheard and said comeback. That was the start of eleven years of friendship.

Hard to imagine SoCal autocross without Craig and Renee. But they are together, probably out for a long drive.

:gpower: 7 and 77 :gpower:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

So sorry to hear this. She will be more than missed because of her dedication to the sport.

She took a strange delight in saying my last name, which she did correctly from the get go.

Godspeed, Renee.
Anthony Munoz
Car#: 50

Post by Anthony Munoz »

A very sad day in all of CalClub. We will surely miss Renee. I will always have good memories for Renee and Craig in the over 2 decades I have known them. She will be in our prayers. Godspeed, Renee.
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
Jonathan Hartendorp
Club Representative
Car#: 513

Post by Jonathan Hartendorp »

This is a very sad day for the SoCal Solo2 community :(

I am speechless and full of disbelief...

She was a great woman, person, and friend...I will always remember her busting my balls but always being really nice to me as well.

You will be missed very much Renee, Solo2 won't be the same without you.
John Ward

Post by John Ward »

The first time I remember Renee, was when Craig brought her out to the races and introduced his girlfriend to us all.
Unfortunatly He was trying to teach her how to drive the mustang. After she killed the engine, trying to figure out the clutch, spinning it out many times (everybody did that) you could imagine the language between her and Craig.
I offered to let her drive my car, but she told me "BLEEP NO..I`M DRIVING THAT ORANGE PEACE OF CRAP".

Hats off to you, Gayle. You were a loyal friend to her, as she was for you.
Her pain and suffering has ceased, may she rest in peace.
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

I really dont know what to say. I will miss her a lot. Lots of fun memories. Getting kicked out of the bar at 2am in Lone Pine, hearing her scream from the backseat when Doug T., Irish, Renee and I went out in the Omni at Norton, the way she said she would never ride with me again after I took her out in Irish's RX7(but she did, in the Honda Irish now drives).
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Catherine Tran
Car#: 70

Post by Catherine Tran »

I remember Renee as a great person who always stood up for the ladies. She made me feel like I was a part of the autocross family and she was the momma bear. Never holding back her thoughts and not afraid to tell it like it is. I told myself I'd hire her a cabana boy (or someone dressed as one) one of these No$ events just to see her reaction. Autocrossing won't be the same without her.

I took this photo little bit ago. This was Jon serving Renee like a Cabana Boy. Good times...good memories! She truly is one of a kind and I will miss her.
Attachments
Renee.jpg
Renee.jpg (227.94 KiB) Viewed 19774 times
Sincerely,
Catherine Tran
SCNAX #70