Let's talk about the Rain

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Let's talk about the Rain

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Cheap Chinese knock-off. Canon never made an EOS mount mirror lens. I use to have a F8.0 and F5.0, 500 mm when I was Nikon. This lens is a F6.3
Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Ed Holley wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. We're in RAIN or SHINE. Looking forward to it.
I'm glad you guys will be coming out regardless of weather, Ed. That means I can stay dry by stealing space under your Ez-Up. :mrgreen:
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Davin Swanson wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. We're in RAIN or SHINE. Looking forward to it.
I'm glad you guys will be coming out regardless of weather, Ed. That means I can stay dry by stealing space under your Ez-Up. :mrgreen:
Depending on the weather, it may be a Not-So-EZ-Up. And it might leak. But you're welcome. As long as Bogie doesn't mind.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Max Hayter wrote:Anyone remember the Fontana Pro in 2006... I was racing in full ski gear and I was still freezing!

Yes, Sunday morning the water temp gauge in my car read 31F. Saturday was as cold and miserable as I remember being at an autocross.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Cheap Chinese knock-off. Canon never made an EOS mount mirror lens. I use to have a F8.0 and F5.0, 500 mm when I was Nikon. This lens is a F6.3

I assume fixed F6.3 so depth of field challenged. Fortunately you don't mind shooting with a tripod.
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

4-5 years ago at Fontana, a Saturday practice was 28° at 7am, with a breeze that made the real feel about 20°. The daytime high never made it to 40°. Truly awful.
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:Anyone remember the Fontana Pro in 2006... I was racing in full ski gear and I was still freezing!

Yes, Sunday morning the water temp gauge in my car read 31F. Saturday was as cold and miserable as I remember being at an autocross.
I remember being a little concerned about freeze plugs and damaging the street tires. We used my turbo as a campfire. They didn't give out the trophies until the next ProSolo, because the weather was so bad. Great weekend though. :thumbup:
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Yes, water-cross is highly entertaining!

Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Overheard on Saturday of that fateful Pro Solo(Shauna's first), after L2 results were out: "Who is this Shauna Rios, and how is she leading by 2 seconds carrying a cone on the left?" :lol: ...
Of course it dried up on Sunday and things changed a bit. :cry:
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Memories.....
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

George Schilling wrote:What's this talk of rain? Accuweather is calling for cloudy on Friday, "chance" of rain on Saturday, and cloudy on Sunday. Are the local news stations touting "STORM WATCH 2012" this weekend or something?
I guess things have changed. I can't ever remember a rain forecast on weather.com calling it 100% probability. (Saturday 9-10am)

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm looking right now at accuweather and wunderground... Dang it.... 100% chance of rain on Saturday morning progressively drying through out the day. High of 58F.
But I don't see flooding in the picture. Predicted total rainfall just increased from .11 to .21 inches. With rain falling across several hours from say 2am to 11am amounting to only two-tenths of an inch, we should drain just fine. The entire Auto Club Speedway facility drains by way of those culverts on either side of Lot 12. That's why when we had major downpours in the past we got Lake Fontucky. But remember some of those storms were dumping an inch an hour, we're talking .03 inches an hour tomorrow.

Grab your towel and don't panic!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Grab your towel and don't panic!
Coming from someone who will be camped out (in) in his 80 foot trailer all nice and toasty. Hey...75 entrants, 80 foot trailer...this could work. :lol:
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Filled up propane for the furnace. 8-)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Filled up propane for the furnace. 8-)
I'M RIDING SHOTGUN!
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Ah, yes, the 2006 Fontana ProSolo. First run : Spin tires like they're off the ground, plow wide in first turn, get lost, find course, hit puddle, drown distributor, limp sputtering car across line, decline further runs in the heat. Whee!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Will Kalman wrote:Ah, yes, the 2006 Fontana ProSolo. First run : Spin tires like they're off the ground, plow wide in first turn, get lost, find course, hit puddle, drown distributor, limp sputtering car across line, decline further runs in the heat. Whee!

Street Mod guys pay my entry to fill the class and I run my STU Neon.... Line up Sunday morning in the lead pair against Navid's Evo in drying conditions. Dream shattered... But it was fun dusting Sias on Saturday. }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Is that the one where Gary Thomason spun three times in one lap ... driving the Viper

Beautiful weather ... What Rain ... Sunshine:

Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Well let's see< I think driving in the rain or let's say racing in the rain really evens out some things! You can have a car which you basically put your life savings in to and then have a guy which has a daily driver with just enough money to put a QT of oil in it come out and kick your BUTT!
I remember back in 2009 before i won my SCORE OFFROAD championship we raced out in Barstow in the B250 which we thought we never even had a chance to to beat the top dogs which were running new 850hp-1000hp motor in their $250k trophy trucks well long story cut short not only did we run fastest lap of the day we also went 1-1 for the overall win in a class 1400 ford ranger which basically had a built 4.6 L motor with only about 400hp and 22" of wheel travel against trucks with 850hp and 31" of wheel travel as they were spun of the side of the course and stuck in the mud we just easy did it right pass them i was thinking 5 down 3 to go and at the end we pass the last guy which lost control and over shot the last corner of the race about 50yrds out from the finish line we drove away with the win with a average speed of 43mph. It had rained for 3 days and even snowed that weekend sometime EASY DOES IT WORKS THE BEST!! see you S :thumbup: :ibrightdea: Sunday. My first autocross ever will be races in the rain,WOW sounds like fun to me!!! ronniewilsonracing.com
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I think it's also the one where Saturday's runs ended with a nearby lighting strike scrambling the tree and timers brains.

I think it was an official Guennis record for number of National Champions under one EZ up during my impound.

Jay W
Mako Koiwai wrote:Is that the one where Gary Thomason spun three times in one lap ... driving the Viper

Beautiful weather ... What Rain ... Sunshine:
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Is that the one where Gary Thomason spun three times in one lap ... driving the Viper
Thanks for the great memories, Mako :oops:

I remember we were in grid watching more heavy weather coming in (in my borrowed convertible race car) and they just refused to bring up our class (ASP in Scotty's Viper), which had been delayed due to the timer issues. Of course, as soon as the rain came in hard again they pulled us right on up to the start! I also remember one or two competitors (one in particular) that decided they were going to the line and run before it got there, even though they had not called us yet! I wish I had done the same, but didn't really think that was quite right at the time.

BTW, his Viper (which I had never been in before), was not very good in 2" of water :barf:
GT