El Toro

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Michael Wood

El Toro

Post by Michael Wood »

Is it true they've broken ground on the redevelopment program at El Toro?
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Re: El Toro

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Years ago.
Kyle Williams

Post by Kyle Williams »

I've been seeing work bidding competitively out there for the past year or so. The latest Invitation I have seen is for the "The OC Great Park Western Sector" which bids 2-23-12 with a budget of $21,000.000.00
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

According to the Orange County Register, they broke ground for the first homes within the "Park" area on January 31, 2012 with homes expected to be occupied in early 2013.
The first phase looks like it is off of Irvine Blvd and north of the runways. This looks to be less than a mile from the runways we use.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Ken Lord wrote:According to the Orange County Register, they broke ground for the first homes within the "Park" area on January 31, 2012 with homes expected to be occupied in early 2013.
The first phase looks like it is off of Irvine Blvd and north of the runways. This looks to be less than a mile from the runways we use.
Gulp!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Ken Lord wrote:According to the Orange County Register, they broke ground for the first homes within the "Park" area on January 31, 2012 with homes expected to be occupied in early 2013.
^This is what I meant...should have said "housing development".

We just lost Great America, up here...not a great (or, actually, good) site, but a site. I think the idea of permanent sites far enough away from urban sprawl, noise regs and concerns with "higher use" of land is possibly one who's time has arrived. It would be cool if SFR could set a precedent and figure out how to do a deal at Thunderhill...maybe that would inspire Buttonwillow to do the same?
Last edited by Michael Wood on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

dbl post
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Michael Wood wrote:
^This is what I meant...should have said "housing development".

We just lost Great America, up here...not a great (or, actually, good) site, but a site. I think the idea of permanent sites far enough away from urban sprawl, noise regs and concerns with "higher use" of land is possibly one who's time has arrived. It would be cool if SFR could set a precedent and figure out how to do a deal at Thunderhill...maybe that would inspire Buttonwillow to do the same?
We can and have used Buttonwillow, including when club racing was using another part of the track. But using the track has it's own issues. If there was space available to pave an area for autocross without having to pay for land, that would be great. However, it's just too far from the majority of our members for more than occasional use, and then there are people who don't want any event there to be part of our championship series.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What's up with Norton? There are concrete areas that we used for a National test 'n tune, and another relatively huge area to the south west that gets used for car commercial shoots that we've never used.
Kyle Williams

Post by Kyle Williams »

Norton is quite active these days since it became San Bernardino International airport. There is a good place at March Air Reserve Base in Perris/Moreno Valley in front of the old DHL buildings. I have seen police chase training go on there and looking on a map there is plenty of room for an Autocross but I've been told everyone has to be on a list to enter the base and that's via the main entrance therefore it would be a logistics nightmare. The person I talked to said it wouldn't be pheasible...
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

So where losing El Toro?
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Cam Correa wrote:So where losing El Toro?
Eventually, yes.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ken ... Gary ... George ... :?
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Ken ... Gary ... George ... :?
Totally unofficially, nothing to worry about for a couple years, at least for our area.....unless the economy gets crazy good in the very near future, which is not very likely by all accounts. That said, unless I start getting some more cooperation from my fellow PAX competitors about where they let me place in class, things could well change for Cal Club }:)
GT
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

:thumbup:
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Gary Thomason wrote:That said, unless I start getting some more cooperation from my fellow PAX competitors about where they let me place in class, things could well change for Cal Club }:)
Hey you gotta show up before we can "help" you out.
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Fontana is just not a place I care to drive that far for. I'll be at PCA next weekend at ET though. 12 runs, fast and flowing, suits a GT3 perfectly...... I might even exceed 70 mph :ibrightdea:
GT
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

It is great to hear that El Toro should be around for a couple/few more years...good sites, in CA at least, are hard to come by!

But, that time will go by quickly and (I think, anyhow) we all (CA autocrossers) need to think about the long term plan to ensure quality autocross in our state. Between the political and environmental aspects and just plain pricey real estate (even with the post 2008 correction), I do believe permanent sites are our only viable long term solution.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Let's start up a collection.......

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/01/13/bat ... g-grounds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Been there several times, including just a couple months ago for a project for a new Honda. They still do some work there. The big oval is unique because there is no banking, but the turns are of such a ridiculously large radius that I recall we were running 130 mph in them in a stock Acura on stock tires. Unfortunately, some of it is not so smooth anymore. The infield road course is very narrow, and has many sections designed for ride testing - not high speeds or racing. No big flat area for autocross either that I can remember seeing, and the weather can be just plain awful at times. Makes Lancaster or Victorville weather seem nice in comparison.
GT
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Gary Thomason wrote:Been there several times, including just a couple months ago for a project for a new Honda. They still do some work there. The big oval is unique because there is no banking, but the turns are of such a ridiculously large radius that I recall we were running 130 mph in them in a stock Acura on stock tires. Unfortunately, some of it is not so smooth anymore. The infield road course is very narrow, and has many sections designed for ride testing - not high speeds or racing. No big flat area for autocross either that I can remember seeing, and the weather can be just plain awful at times. Makes Lancaster or Victorville weather seem nice in comparison.
Weather wouldn't be a problem Gary. I mean, thinking out of the box, we could build the world's largest domed structure with full climate control and include individual garages plumbed with air, water and lifts, bathrooms, bars and big screens. Heck, if we threw in comfortable beds and a mini-mart and we could all live out there. :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I assume you mean Dome our future AX Pad, because the entire facility, encircled by the oval, and protected from prying eyes by a berm, is VAST! We've filmed Honda commercials out there. Everyone had to turn in their cell phones/cameras b4 being allowed in.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I wonder what the sound limits would have to be inside our Dome?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Mako Koiwai wrote:I wonder what the sound limits would have to be inside our Dome?
Sound, there'd be no excessive sound. We'd work with a company like Bose to design a noise cancelling system. We could do it on a personalized basis where each individual could choose what they want to hear. While I'm dreaming, the only sound I want to hear is the announcer saying, "George Schilling, top PAX time of the day". :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

George Schilling, top PAX time of the day
That IS so funnnnnny ... In Your Dreams! :lol: :thumbup: