Auto Club Dragway suspends activities due to noise complaint

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kristoffer Gjevre

Auto Club Dragway suspends activities due to noise complaint

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120301/NHRA/120309991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Auto Club Dragway suspends activities due to noise complaint

Post by George Schilling »

This reminds me of all the whiners in my area regarding airport noise. The airport has been there since the beginning of time (strange but true), but the neighbor groups are always trying to shut it down, mostly citing noise as the reason. So people like me who like the airport, which was there when all of those folks moved into their homes btw, are constantly fighting to save it. The latest ploy is that everyone in the area is being poisoned by the exhaust from small planes using leaded gasoline. All the whiners and complainers seem to get joy out of sapping the joy out of others' lives. :(
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:All the whiners and complainers seem to get joy out of sapping the joy out of others' lives. :(
I'd say it's even more annoying than that. It's people who bought their house at a lower price influenced by the fact that they're near the airport (or whatever lowered the price on their home), who then try to close down the thing that influenced the low price they got on their homes. I have absolutely no sympathy. In fact, I tend to think those people got what they deserved and hope we don't cave in to them. But that's the German in me coming out. :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Yeah, stop the whining! All pilots flying big planes started out in little planes, and they have to practice somewhere.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Yeah, they're complaining about noise from street-legal drags.

People, these cars have mufflers... you can't hear them from your trailer park. Go back to cooking your crack. }:)
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Absurd :evil: :unimpressed:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Bloody hell! You moved next door to a racetrack/airport/military installation and now you've noticed it's noisy? Buy some ear plugs.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

George Schilling wrote:
This reminds me of all the whiners in my area regarding airport noise. The airport has been there since the beginning of time (strange but true), but the neighbor groups are always trying to shut it down, mostly citing noise as the reason. So people like me who like the airport, which was there when all of those folks moved into their homes btw, are constantly fighting to save it. The latest ploy is that everyone in the area is being poisoned by the exhaust from small planes using leaded gasoline. All the whiners and complainers seem to get joy out of sapping the joy out of others' lives. :(

Is that the muni airport or Long Beach? Small planes aren't noisy. These dopes should be happy they didn't live under the flight path, four-miles east of O'Hare. Yeah, it was noisy when they took off going east. We learned to live with it.

Some people have real hardship in their lives and can't get help or get ahead. Then there are those who are just too self-centered.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

That's got nothing on the freak show up in Dublin, when the owner of the motocross track took legal action against the racetrack on the other side of the freeway due to noise issues. Yes, you read that right.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
George Schilling wrote:

Is that the muni airport or Long Beach? Small planes aren't noisy. These dopes should be happy they didn't live under the flight path, four-miles east of O'Hare. Yeah, it was noisy when they took off going east. We learned to live with it.

Some people have real hardship in their lives and can't get help or get ahead. Then there are those who are just too self-centered.
Talking about Long Beach Airport (Daughterty Field). Even the name indicates how old it is. I've seen some original pictures where it was just a on strip in a field about where 25L/7R is now with a couple hangars in the back round and Signal Hill aid it's oil derricks beyond that.

Commercial jet have gotten much quieter in recent years. The old Boeing workhouse 707 was very loud and very polluting. Of course there are very few flying today. John Travolta has one in his fleet I believe. You hardly hear the commercial jets of today.

Small planes can be loud. There are noise sensors in all the surrounding neighborhoods. I would get warnings occasionally in my 205 which had a prop about 7' long. It's the speed of the prop tips that creates the most of the noise. Some of the old radials can also be quiet noisy. My favorite airport operation is when the military lands there occasionally, usually on the weekend. I can hear them powering up at the beginning of the runway. When I do, I always run out the front door to watch them take off. For me, airport noise is music to my ears.

We have the same problem with Marine Stadium which used to hold boat races until the noise busybodies shut that down. It hard to believe that the LBGP has survived all these years. With a mild off shore breeze, I can sometimes hear them 10 miles away.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

My favorite of these NIMBY jerks is the old BKK toxic waste landfill in West Covina. Been there since WW2. A developer build homes around the landfill and named the perimiter street Aroma Dr.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_n ... urn false;

People bought homes there and then sued the developer and BKK after then realized there was a toxic waste landfill next door. they won.
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

George Schilling wrote: Commercial jet have gotten much quieter in recent years. The old Boeing workhouse 707 was very loud and very polluting. Of course there are very few flying today. John Travolta has one in his fleet I believe. You hardly hear the commercial jets of today.
A 787 will be in long beach march 13-15. If you happen to see it taking off or landing you will be amazed how much quieter it is even compared to the commercial jets of today. You'd be hard pressed to even hear it off airport property.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

George Schilling wrote:... It (sic) hard to believe that the LBGP has survived all these years. With a mild off shore breeze, I can sometimes hear them 10 miles away.
Real easy: LBGP brings in lots o' $$$. I imagine any council members turn a "deaf" ear to any complaints.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

John Coffey wrote:People bought homes there and then sued the developer and BKK after then realized there was a toxic waste landfill next door. they won.
Hmmm, I should save up for a home in the Irvine Great Park...
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
John Coffey wrote:People bought homes there and then sued the developer and BKK after then realized there was a toxic waste landfill next door. they won.
Hmmm, I should save up for a home in the Irvine Great Park...
Hey! There's an idea!!! Do one of those airplane/road racing country clubs but for Solo! "And your lovely home has direct access from your backyard to a 75 second autocross course..."
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Those who complained sound like the dumbf*#k VP that I had to yelled at this morning. He was complaining about the noise generated from a water pump which I measured at 47 db, and said that is NOT acceptable. WTF?!?! :x
George Schilling
Club Representative

Here is one of the projects near Long Beach Airport where YOUR TAX DOLLARS are being used to pick winners and losers in the surrounding neighborhood.......three and a half million dollars to sound proof 25 PRIVATE homes in the area. I could go on a rant about why this is so WRONG, but since PP is not longer here, I won't. But this is ridiculous. For those that are unfamiliar with building costs, these homes could be razed and new homes built for less. But the bigger question is why are tax dollars being used for this?

Project Description: The QuieterHome Program
consists of sound attenuation improvements to
private residences meeting criteria established by
the City and approved by the FAA. The project
will include 25 homes that are within the CY2008
65 dB CNEL contour.
Project Budget: The project budget is
$3.5 million and will be funded with PFC funds.
Project Schedule: Phase I included program
development and management, pre- and postacoustical
testing, design and construction for a
Pilot Program consisting of 10 homes. Phase I
was completed in spring 2011. Phase II consists
of improvements to the remaining 15 homes and will conclude in the second quarter of 2012.
Community Benefits: The QuieterHome Program reduces noise levels in homes of the surrounding community.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Marshall Grice wrote:
George Schilling wrote: Commercial jet have gotten much quieter in recent years. The old Boeing workhouse 707 was very loud and very polluting. Of course there are very few flying today. John Travolta has one in his fleet I believe. You hardly hear the commercial jets of today.
A 787 will be in long beach march 13-15. If you happen to see it taking off or landing you will be amazed how much quieter it is even compared to the commercial jets of today. You'd be hard pressed to even hear it off airport property.
Can you arrange a tour? I'll buy you dinner. :D
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

George Schilling wrote:
Can you arrange a tour? I'll buy you dinner. :D
You're like a year too late. Now I can't even get a tour of it (not that i need it ;) ). there is an internal company lottery to get a ticket for the tour, employees only.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

George Schilling wrote:YOUR TAX DOLLARS
It's being paid for with the airport fees ("PFC funds") so it's only the tax dollars of people who use the airport. Not saying this is proper or improper, just clarifying whose tax dollars you're talking about because I was curious.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Marshall Grice wrote:
George Schilling wrote:
Can you arrange a {787} tour? I'll buy you dinner. :D
You're like a year too late. Now I can't even get a tour of it (not that i need it ;) ). there is an internal company lottery to get a ticket for the tour, employees only.
I got to wonder around one a few years back, a lot of interior skin still missing at the time. I was up in Seattle for a job interview. They said I'd be riding that airplane for something like 18hrs at a time. I said no thank you.

Anyways to the Drag Strip: It's only a few years old. So while I understand the 'you bought a house near a raceway' argument, most people probably moved in before the drag strip. The noise of the cars on the oval during the day probably doesn't compare to dragsters in the parking lot at night.

The nearest house are pretty dang far away though. I can't imagine it's drowning out their Jerry Spring re-runs.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Anyways to the Drag Strip: It's only a few years old. So while I understand the 'you bought a house near a raceway' argument, most people probably moved in before the drag strip. The noise of the cars on the oval during the day probably doesn't compare to dragsters in the parking lot at night.

The nearest house are pretty dang far away though. I can't imagine it's drowning out their Jerry Spring re-runs.

Jay W
Good point Jayson. :thumbup:

Now fix my airport problem! :lol:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Every drag car running at Auto Club has mufflers. Even the NHRA Division races held there. Its not on any kind of par with traditional drag race noise at say the Winternationals in Pomona.

I should add. The drag strip was running a very large event the last weekend we ran. It included 7 second bikes that are amongst the loudest carrying sound I ever hear at a sportsman drag race. Did you hear them while we ran? I didn't.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I should add. The drag strip was running a very large event the last weekend we ran. It included 7 second bikes that are amongst the loudest carrying sound I ever hear at a sportsman drag race. Did you hear them while we ran? I didn't.
I was doing the ROVAL on Sunday, and I did hear some loud cars from the drag strip. But then the distance from the drag strip to the infield is probably shorter than to Lot 12.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

George Schilling wrote:Some of the old radials can also be quiet noisy.
But it's a good noise. I love that "poketa-poketa-poketa" sound of a Stearman on final.