Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bill Schenker »

I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

You'd think with all the work I do on my car I'd have done this years ago :roll:

TIA

Bill
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by George Schilling »

Bill Schenker wrote:I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

You'd think with all the work I do on my car I'd have done this years ago :roll:

TIA

Bill
The best sales for Craftsman tools is during tool buying season.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

George Schilling wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

TIA

Bill
The best sales for Craftsman tools is during tool buying season.
But you need a license for that, plus a socket stamp.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Craftsmen tools don't go on sale all that often. The two best bets is on holiday weekends at OSH where they "pay the sales tax", and getting the "value" packages at Sears where they put multiple items together, vs. individually purchasing pieces.

Example on Screwdrivers: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... ckType=L10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Fathers day, Memorial day, Labor day, 4th, black friday, and after Christmas .

Go Poke around on their web site . I saw some larger ball bearing boxes on sale.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/c_10155_ ... ol+Storage
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned father's day. Sears' Father's Day Sales usually have the biggest and most widespread price cuts on tools. For a couple years now I've saved my tool buttons up until father's day unless I absolutely needed something right now. That doesn't include this year, of course. No tool buttons. :(
Mark D.
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Mark DeShon wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned father's day. Sears' Father's Day Sales usually have the biggest and most widespread price cuts on tools. For a couple years now I've saved my tool buttons up until father's day unless I absolutely needed something right now. That doesn't include this year, of course. No tool buttons. :(
Mark D.
Tom Denham wrote:Fathers day, Memorial day, Labor day, 4th, black friday, and after Christmas .

Go Poke around on their web site . I saw some larger ball bearing boxes on sale.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/c_10155_ ... ol+Storage
;)
Mark DeShon

Post by Mark DeShon »

Oops! Sorry, Tom. I'm blind. :?
Mark D.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

For Craftsman tool boxes you pick large stores and watch regularly for their scratch and dent clearances or closeouts.

For Craftsman Tools, Sears sells out Cosmetic blems on ebay.

Its a tool box or a tool.... The more dented and the more blemmed, the better.

If you're really desperate and don't find success on ebay, then join craftsman club and use their ads and specials. Also look for online only specials. You can get free shipping to stores.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: For Craftsman Tools, Sears sells out Cosmetic blems on ebay.
While quite inexpensive, these are marked as such, and do not come with the Craftsman lifetime warranty. That's why I suggested the garage sale route for blemished and / or cheaper tools, as they can be replaced under the lifetime warranty.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Craig Naylor wrote:
On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.
Hasn't applied to torque wrenches for over five years. :^(
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
What if you have an older one that was bought under the lifetime warranty? Mine's over 25 years old. It broke once a long time ago and they repaired it (loaned me one while it was being repaired).
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Rick Brown wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
What if you have an older one that was bought under the lifetime warranty? Mine's over 25 years old. It broke once a long time ago and they repaired it (loaned me one while it was being repaired).

The last time I took a broken 3/8 ratchet for exchange (maybe 10 years ago) the dept mgr tried to replace it with a POS China tool. I argued & he finally upgraded it to a decent pro model.

I also had an issue with a floor jack (Craftsman label) about 5 years ago. I took it all the way to the store manager & she gave me a courtesy discount ( a big one) on buying another floor jack.

Bottom line is that Sears "lifetime guarantee" has gone away. They may still advertise it but read the fine print after the asterick. Most of the current employees will give you a blank stare when you walk in with that old broken wrench.

:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sears is having a doorbuster sale on Saturday 9:00-1:00. All GearWrench sets are on sale (up to 50% off).

Sears Hardware & Appliance has the Craftsman 8-piece ratcheting wrench sets on sale for $49.99 ($30.00 off regular price).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Thanks, everyone! I'll check it out on Sat., Steve.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Bob Pl wrote: The last time I took a broken 3/8 ratchet for exchange (maybe 10 years ago) the dept mgr tried to replace it with a POS China tool. I argued & he finally upgraded it to a decent pro model.

I also had an issue with a floor jack (Craftsman label) about 5 years ago. I took it all the way to the store manager & she gave me a courtesy discount ( a big one) on buying another floor jack.

Bottom line is that Sears "lifetime guarantee" has gone away. They may still advertise it but read the fine print after the asterick. Most of the current employees will give you a blank stare when you walk in with that old broken wrench.

I've exchanged broken tools no problems, maybe they just don't like you. ???
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Maybe,

More likely there is a variation in policy/training/quality of employees at different stores. My problems were at the San Diego North County store.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Bob Pl wrote:Maybe,

More likely there is a variation in policy/training/quality of employees at different stores. My problems were at the San Diego North County store.
Or it might be directly a factor of how many broken tools found at garage sales have been dumped on them... :lol:
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

I have replaced some screw drivers in the past, but it has been a while...
There is some noise if you google about rusty items not exchangeable from a few years back, but they do state this (and no mention of rust here):

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155 ... ?adCell=WF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (as accessed from a link on their main page)
8. - Evolv Hand Tools
FOR AS LONG AS IT IS USED from the date of purchase, this Craftsman Evolv hand tool is warranted against defects in material and workmanship. With proof of purchase, a defective product will be replaced free of charge. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period.
WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

10. - All Other Hand Tools
If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.
Stanley Kowalski
Car#: 377

Post by Stanley Kowalski »

hello bill this is stan we have been buying tools from crafsman direct we have a catalog which we order from and anyone can the priceing is far cheaper than buying from the stores
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Stanley Kowalski wrote:hello bill this is stan we have been buying tools from crafsman direct we have a catalog which we order from and anyone can the priceing is far cheaper than buying from the stores
I got a 191 page Craftsman catalog in the mail yesterday, but I doubt that the prices in it are any different then the web site or the store, not that I have check on it yet. Are you referring to some other kind of Craftsman catalog, perhaps one for businesses instead of consumers, or?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

If you're still looking for tools, the Craftsman Father's Day sales are beginning: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/302152

update: craftsman 26" rolling drawers: http://slickdeals.net/f/4715534-Craftsm ... ore-Pickup
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Thanks, QV! Just ordered some combo wrenches.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mark DeShon

Post by Mark DeShon »

Just picked up a 12 pc set of deep impact sockets at OSH for $50! Normally $80 at Sears.
I'm Stoked because I've needed these for forever.
Mark D.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Was at Costco yesterday and saw a very nice Craftsman starter kit for $80. Appeared to be a very nice set, plastic carrying case included. This was the store in Los Alamitos. Didn't see it at my normal store in Lakewood.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head