June 9 & 10 AAA "Inside" Practice Reg Open

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

June 9 & 10 AAA "Inside" Practice Reg Open

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Attention Drivers!

Registration for the "Inside" practice is now OPEN. Register early, as the practice is limited to only 60 drivers per day. Last time we did this it sold out VERY quickly.

This year's inside practice will have NO WORK ASSIGNEMENT for entrants. Also much of the proceeds will be going to the charitable group AbilityFirst of Long Beach.

Expect about a 30second course and 16+ runs per day. Registration is through MyAutoEvents (you'll need an account) and paid via paypal (you don't need a paypal account).

Saturday's Registration:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm ... t_id=13168

Sunday's Registration:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm ... t_id=13180

Entry fees are $60 for a single driver, $80 for a shared entry.

FAQ
Where is this?: At AAA speedway, but not on our 'normal' lot. Head inside the oval and our course and paddock space will be obvious. A map will follow later

Why is registration different?: Because I say so. We're trying out alternatives to MSR, this one allows us to take entry payments at a much lower cost.

No work!, how are you pulling that off?: PFM is providing workers all day for this practice. Be sure to look for them off-duty and say thank you.

Who's AbilityFirst?: AbilityFirst provides recreational activities for the developmentally delayed community. Some of the participants are planning on coming to Saturday's event to watch and ride shotgun!

Why haven't I heard of this before?: Because I've been really busy, leave me alone.

Jay W
Alex Valencia
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 304

Re: June 9 & 10 AAA "Inside" Practice Reg Open

Post by Alex Valencia »

Perfect timing for a test and tune for the Divisional. All registered and ready to roll :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up and post Jayson!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Alex Valencia wrote:Perfect timing for a test and tune for the Divisional. All registered and ready to roll :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up and post Jayson!
I'd go into it with the idea that it's just going to be fun. The surface is different than El Toro, and actually it's not even our normal Fontucky asphalt, so I doubt you'll get any meaningful info out of it. But it IS one more opportunity to legally drive like your hair's on fire, which is always a good thing :thumbup:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jayson Woodruff

The surface is VERY similar to the lot 12 surface, just not as 'worn in' as our normal lot is getting.

This would be a good opportunity to try out a new set up. Lots of runs and down time to adjust and think.

Jay W
Alex Valencia
Car#: 304

Post by Alex Valencia »

@kurt - The focus is on seat time. Maybe the words "test & tune" were the wrong choice of words.

I hope to see a lot of people out!
Robert Baltazar
Car#: 591

Post by Robert Baltazar »

Can Jr karts go to this? I would like to setup my sons kart for the next event.
Thanks Robert
1991 turbo RX7 12.4 111.18 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeEuCbcNUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal speedway 1.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhunwtiGLk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jayson Woodruff

Sorry, no juniors for this one.

Jay W
Robert Baltazar wrote:Can Jr karts go to this? I would like to setup my sons kart for the next event.
Thanks Robert
Jayson Woodruff

Okay, now that that RallyX non-sense is behind me, time to start pushing this.

Everyone has seen my events and seen my courses, so you know the quality is going to be there. It's at least $20 cheaper than the other 'no-work' practices that go on in that lot, AND large portion of the $$ goes to charity.

This practice is late to the calendar, which is making it fly under the radar. So I need everyone's help in promoting it. Tell your neighbor who's been on the fence for the last five years, invite your parents out for a thrill ride or just get that seat time you obviously need for your self.

Lets take advantage of papa calclub’s generosity and boost up those entries!

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Pump the no work aspect. Given the demand for FSAE volunteers or for the "true test n tune" option at our practices, I'd think a cheap no work is an easy sell.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kyoo Choe

Post by Kyoo Choe »

Sorry, please cancel me from the Saturday event.
My engine gave out while driving Angeles Crest Highway this past Saturday.
Dealer thinks it's broken timing chain, so I am towing my car to RPM Motors in Santa Clarita to have them do the full diagnosis and engine repair.
However, they tell me they are backed up and it may take few weeks...
Jayson Woodruff

Entrires are slow. Definitly a little squeezed on the calendar, but all the more reason I need all our regulars to spread the word.

Get all those neighbors, work friends and forum jockies to sign up for the best buck/run of the year.

Kyoo Choe wrote:Sorry, please cancel me from the Saturday event.
I'll get a refund going in a couple day. Sorry to hear about the engine troubles.

Jay W
Ric Herber

Post by Ric Herber »

Will there be food available or should we just bring our own?
Jayson Woodruff

Ric Herber wrote:Will there be food available or should we just bring our own?
The vendor may be open, don't know for sure though. You can make your own down time to run out and get something if you want. Or, bring your own.

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

This just in. Sunday's entrants will be invited to take a 'Track Tour' of the road race course. We did this at the first one of these practices I ran. The track tour consisted of getting us all lined up, then lead around the road course. I wasn't 'full speed', but it was WAY faster than I expected. To this day it is still the highest speed our AutoX car has ever seen (road or racing).

Entries are still pretty low. If you're coming I ask that you enter as early as you can to ease some of my anxiety on the numbers.

Jay W
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Ric Herber wrote:Will there be food available or should we just bring our own?
The vendor may be open, don't know for sure though. You can make your own down time to run out and get something if you want. Or, bring your own.

Jay W
FYI:

Pit Row Café will be open from 8:00 to 4:00 pm. They serve Breakfast and lunch
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Will the event be organized so that 2 drivers in 1 car would get more runs with separate entries vs. a shared entry?

MyAutoEvents is down this evening. It was down last night too. I don't know if that's making it hard for people to register. It's making it hard for me to register!
Jayson Woodruff

It'll probably be just one run group.

The sites been up and down for about 24hrs. Never happend to me before.

Jay W

John Stimson wrote:Will the event be organized so that 2 drivers in 1 car would get more runs with separate entries vs. a shared entry?

MyAutoEvents is down this evening. It was down last night too. I don't know if that's making it hard for people to register. It's making it hard for me to register!
Jayson Woodruff

Course and just about everything else is set up, quite nice if I say so ;-).

Pre-registration has closed, but there is still plenty of room left in each day. Feel free to arrive and register on site, earlier in the day the better.

It was 88deg with a cool breeze when I left at 2:30pm, probably hottest of the day. Down right pleasent for Summer in Fontana. Suppose to be the same all weekend.

I'm told on Saturday a load of the charity benifactors will be coming out at about 1pm (developmentally delayed). You should have more than your promised runs by then, but please stick around for thier benifit. Some may want to take some rides. If your willing, feel free to offer up that passengars seat.

Also, be nice to the FSAE guys (Pomona), they'e making the 'no work' thing possible.

Thanks,

Jay W
Ken Lord
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

What a fantastic two days! Small crowd of mostly new people, but a great time was had on both days. I can't even count how many runs people got on a 30 to 40 second course depending on your abilities.

It was great to see the Abilities First people getting rides on Saturday and seeing the smiles when the got out of the cars.

Kudo to the PFM crowd for working both days and allowing us all to just drive and not work.

Jayson and Nick - great job on organization and running a great program. There were many new people out there and I fully expect to see a number of them at one of our upcoming events.
Jayson Woodruff

Yeah I think things went pretty well for everyone involved. Light crowd, but enough to sustain the event. Everyone got tons of runs. PFM got a little scratch for their upcoming event in Lincoln. The AbilityFirst group had a blast on Saturday afternoon, and were able to raise some funs for them.

I believe this is something we should be able to do at least annually.

Jay W
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I only came out today, but I had a great time! Good job Jason, PFM, and anyone else involved in setting this event up. I managed to have a very productive test session, even with some fairly major hangups. Awesome day!
BTW, Jason. Did you ever find out who that bugger in the M3 was? :shock:
Mark D.
Jesus Saucedo
Club: No$
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

Ken Lord wrote: I can't even count how many runs people got on a 30 to 40 second course depending on your abilities.

It was great to see the Abilities First people getting rides on Saturday and seeing the smiles when the got out of the cars.

Kudo to the PFM crowd for working both days and allowing us all to just drive and not work.
Completely lost track of the runs, BUT, I clocked the total distance of autoX runs at an astonishing 15.5 miles!!!!

Just sorry I couldn't take the Abilities First people out for rides. My header collector parted ways with the rest of the header, ending my day.

Great job to the organizers, and thank goodness for the PFM people :) Man, they did some time out there!!!!

It was a blast.
Jayson Woodruff

Jesus Saucedo wrote: My header collector parted ways with the rest of the header, ending my day.
Maybe that was your exaust gasket I found and tossed at the end of the day on course.

BTW, Jason. Did you ever find out who that bugger in the M3 was?
Matt Ales. CalClub #206 no club, so I'm guessing new to the area or sport. Sk1 driver. (slight top time of day lead over Mark)

Jay W
Pete Landry
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 0

Post by Pete Landry »

Another great event Jay, and a great first event for my dad. He had never done anything like autox and hadn't even driven anything sporty since they sold my mom's 66 Porsche 912 30+ years ago. He was a little intimidated at first after taking a few laps with me but gained some confidence and made some major improvements through the day and had a great time. :thumbup:
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

from the bridge:
Attachments
AX Course.jpg
AX Course.jpg (283.57 KiB) Viewed 11446 times