So Fiat 500 is DOA ...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

So Fiat 500 is DOA ...

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Even with the Sport Package, and seats laid down to lower CG (a tiny amount).

I thought the fellow who drove one at Nationals was further prepping his for stock class with new shocks?

There have been a number of incidents of two wheeling BMW's. Any chance of them being re-considered as un-safe AX cars?

One of a number of two wheeling AX videos. Check out at 40 second point: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cWbG2SSA ... WbG2SSAGhg

I've got a shot of Beverly or Toby on two wheels from Atwater a number of years ago. What's with BMW's ?!
Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Re: So Fiat 500 is DOA ...

Post by Davin Swanson »

According to the results from Nationals, the Fiat 500 run in G stock was an Abarth. The Abarth is classed. All other 500s are excluded from stock. This has been the law of the land for months now (first published in the June Fastrack).

Non-Abarth 500s can run in STF, provided they are actually prepped for STF, not just a stock car registered to run STF. KJ clarified this detail yesterday.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ah, it does say Abarth in the results.

But how about those BMW's! ;)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Define prep? Seems like street tires would be enough.
To me I would think the SCCA would want to consider this car for stock classing with the caveat that it can only run in RTF as a stock prep. The 500 is a very popular car in our demographic. If there is a way to make it work I think its in our sports interests. From a safety standpoint, without hard data, I suspect you'd be better off with a base 500 on 180+ tires than a stock class springs in a shock clamped to the bumpstops with insane rebound Abarth on Hoosiers.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Define prep? .
That one is a soft-ball. Prep is lowering the car enough that it fits the formula.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I formula that needs to assure safety for fresh hoosiers on grippy concrete.

We need to get a base 500 out on good 180 tires in say Howard's hands on a good concrete surface and gather some data. RTF might be a perfect out. Time to write letters?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Marshall Grice »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Define prep? .
That one is a soft-ball. Prep is lowering the car enough that it fits the formula.
or reducing the tire grip level low enough it fits the formula. ...which street tires do.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Would have been cool to have someone like Tom B give the stock Fiat 500 that we turned away an evaluation run ...
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I haven't been paying attention to roll over formulas, is tire grip actually part of it? (or is this just a commentary comment?)
Marshall Grice wrote:or reducing the tire grip level low enough it fits the formula. ...which street tires do.
Jay W
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:I haven't been paying attention to roll over formulas, is tire grip actually part of it? (or is this just a commentary comment?)
Marshall Grice wrote:or reducing the tire grip level low enough it fits the formula. ...which street tires do.
Jay W
the SSF number is the lateral acceleration (in g's) that results in 100% lateral weight transfer. So any lateral acceleration beyond the scca's limit of 1.3g's should result in 2-wheeling. 1.3g's is near the top end of what hoosiers are going to generate on a car like a fiat 500 (transient obviously, steady state will be far below that), but 1.1g's is more realistic of what a fiat 500 on street tires is likely to generate. considering the car has an SSF of 1.29 it has plenty of margin at stock ride height on street tires.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:I haven't been paying attention to roll over formulas, is tire grip actually part of it? (or is this just a commentary comment?)
Jay W
the SSF number is the lateral acceleration (in g's) that results in 100% lateral weight transfer. So any lateral acceleration beyond the scca's limit of 1.3g's should result in 2-wheeling. 1.3g's is near the top end of what hoosiers are going to generate on a car like a fiat 500 (transient obviously, steady state will be far below that), but 1.1g's is more realistic of what a fiat 500 on street tires is likely to generate. considering the car has an SSF of 1.29 it has plenty of margin at stock ride height on street tires.
pwned :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Jay W

My GF 2 wheeled my Yaris(stock with crappy tires) at Fontana almost a year ago and I believe its SSF is 1.33 so I don't know if I would consider the Fiat safe even on street tires unless its been lowered quite a bit.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Toby Larsson

Post by Toby Larsson »

Fiat 500 Abarth from this weekends 25 hour at Thunderhill }:)
(practice not race)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0xbQF4 ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Toby Larsson wrote:Fiat 500 Abarth from this weekends 25 hour at Thunderhill }:)
(practice not race)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0xbQF4 ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that pretty much says it all...
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Toby Larsson wrote:Fiat 500 Abarth from this weekends 25 hour at Thunderhill }:)
(practice not race)
:shock:

Unsafe at any speed:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jay Leno Abarth test ... one inch lower then the 500 ... does a hand brake flip turn with no drama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmtrrFf4xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I don't know Mako... Car looks pretty difficult to control on the track...

http://youtu.be/flgLqKBzlgg
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Handbrake turn means the rear wheels are locked up. Grip > slip, you know that, Mako!
Michael Smith
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

They look like fun:
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

You should try to race this one Mako.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Doesn't widening the track basically produce the same result as lowering a car? So if the demand was there perhaps the SCCA could make an exemption to say allow half inch spacers instead of quarter inch spacers for a stock 500. Would that extra inch of width tip the equation enough to make the 500 legal ?
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Mako Koiwai wrote:So if the demand was there perhaps the SCCA could make an exemption to say allow half inch spacers instead of quarter inch spacers for a stock 500.
I think you know the answer SCCA would give to allowing a single model a special allowance in stock class.

Jay W
Julian Manolov
Car#: 2

Post by Julian Manolov »

Seems the 500 Abarths don't need rear brakes either ... :lol:

Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Would have been cool to have someone like Tom B give the stock Fiat 500 that we turned away an evaluation run ...
And when it rolls over tell them "sorry you can't run today"
A smooth driver is less likely to flip a car than a hack getting late in a slalom.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Julian Manolov wrote:Seems the 500 Abarths don't need rear brakes either ... :lol:
Not really a fair example, I think that car has 240+hp with a bunch of weight reduction done in the back and a crappy ABS system.

My German isn't all that great but here is the article.
http://www.sportauto.de/einzeltests/car ... 97815.html
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini