The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: Newbie on the forum

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Takes me less than an hour to get there from West Hollywood - that's going speed limit.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Taylor, do you know what class you're going to be in? Good to know before you come, one less thing to do. Also your car has to be empty of loose stuff for tech, so its easiest to leave anything unnecessary at home. Pump up your tires to 40psi or the max pressure listed (whatever is higher), you can bleed off air later, but best to start high.

Jay W
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Taylor Kurtz wrote:how long should it take me to get out to Cali Speedway from west LA? Approximately 405/I-10.
Taylor, you're right in my area. I'm in Brentwood. Going just above the speed limit 70mph, it will take you 50-55 minutes early morning (if you're in the morning run groups). An hour if you're in the afternoon run groups.
Taylor Kurtz
Car#: 0

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

thanks again for more helpful replies. i'll be there bright and early with my black 07 Si
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Taylor, do you know what class you're going to be in? Good to know before you come, one less thing to do. Also your car has to be empty of loose stuff for tech, so its easiest to leave anything unnecessary at home. Pump up your tires to 40psi or the max pressure listed (whatever is higher), you can bleed off air later, but best to start high.

Jay W
i'm planning on running in STS per my after market parts. I usually run about that high in my tires. I run dunlop direzza 101's which have crap for sidewalls so its necessary lol.
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Taylor Kurtz wrote:thanks again for more helpful replies. i'll be there bright and early with my black 07 Si
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Taylor, do you know what class you're going to be in? Good to know before you come, one less thing to do. Also your car has to be empty of loose stuff for tech, so its easiest to leave anything unnecessary at home. Pump up your tires to 40psi or the max pressure listed (whatever is higher), you can bleed off air later, but best to start high.

Jay W
i'm planning on running in STS per my after market parts. I usually run about that high in my tires. I run dunlop direzza 101's which have crap for sidewalls so its necessary lol.
Si is not STS legal because of the LSD. It's an STX car.

Look for Will/Paul/Ash and myself up in the White 07 LX HS/SK2 Civic. I should be there around 10ish.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ashley Armstrong
Club: CASOC
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

I can't be there early for your STX runs (have to drop bf at ONT in the AM), but will probably be there ~10ish as well.
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Taylor ... make sure you take advantage of our many excellent drivers. You can get an Instructor to drive you, in your car, for your first race run on Sunday ... without it counting against your race runs. You can also have the instructor ride with you during your race runs. That's the fastest way to learn to be fast. Otherwise ... you're going to spend a lot of time repeating your mistakes. Also, a lot of Newbs have trouble just finding their way around a Solo course the first few times. It's a drag to find out that you DNF'ed all of your runs! Also, Solo isn't road racing, when it comes to lines.

There seems to still be openings for Saturdays Practice ... you should try to get in on Saturday's Practice. Even if you don't, you should come out and get rides with us. On Saturday we will be running Sunday's course backwards.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

I already e-mailed this guy-- everyone stop riding the dead donkey.
Taylor Kurtz
Car#: 0

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

It was great meeting some of you guys/girls yesterday. All of the people I came across were very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Thanks to Leonard I was able to get a great novice walk through the course, and thanks to Bob I was able to get some great instruction in my first 2 runs. Best time was my third run at 65 seconds, which tells me I need a whole lot more seat time lol. However, I did see consistent improvement through my runs. I went from 69 (DNF), to 66 +2, to 65 +0. I saved the money I was planning on spending on X-runs to go towards the next event on the 30th, because god knows I need more seat time (and because i'm 100% addicted now). Hope to see you guys again soon :thumbup:
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yeah ... Addiction is a dangerous and powerful in our sport. I'm surprised we don't give away the first entry for free! :D
Victor Livengood

New to the Forum

Post by Victor Livengood »

Hi, I'm from Eastern WA and belong to our local autocross club (ssscc.org). Started autocrossing in 03 with a Mustang GT vert then moved to a Civic Si that we ran in HS for a couple of years, now we are running in CSP in an NC Mx5.

Our winter season shuts us down until March so it's good to see that other clubs are still running.

How far north do you have events?
Vic
SSSCC.org
WA
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

If you want farther North you probably wanna look at SF Region. They also run, slightly wetter, events all year round. California Speedway is as far north as our events go.
Davis Eng
Car#: 319

Newbie says Hi! and has a question, uh oh!

Post by Davis Eng »

Hi all! My names Davis (duh). The newest newb to autocrossing! Lets see, first time I heard about autocrossing was on the mr2.com/mr2oc.com forums. Looked like lots of fun, but I was to nervous to do it myself so I never tried to join. And well here I am, thanks to a friend. I'm now excited and scared! :D Excited to spin out and what not and scared that I might stall during launch! :lol:

My friend sort of asked this question for me already before I joined. Here it goes:

What class I'm I in? Robert P. says that I'll be in the new SST class, but just to make sure since my friend Tito doesn't know my mods:

Car: 1991 Toyota MR2 NA 5spd

Everything is stock besides:

-TRD springs/Koni Shocks
-TRD front and rear strut bars

Any help to this newb is appreciated, now onto the search button. Weee.
Futurama is brought to you by: Thompson's Teeth - The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth!
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Re: Newbie says Hi! and has a question, uh oh!

Post by Tom Phillips »

Car: 1991 Toyota MR2 NA 5spd

Everything is stock besides:

-TRD springs/Koni Shocks
-TRD front and rear strut bars

Davis -
From SCCA Stock Classifications
Toyota MR2 -normally aspirated - E Stock - ES
The challenge is going to be the spring changes and the strut bars.

Per 2008 rule bokk, section 13
13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
A. For front anti-roll (sway) bars:
1. Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars is
permitted.
2. Substitution, addition or removal of anti-roll bars may serve
no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
3. The use of any bushing material is permitted.
4. No modification to the body, frame or other components to
accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed,
except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Nonstandard
lateral members which connect between the brackets
for the bar are not permitted.
B. Rear anti-roll (sway) bars may not be removed, replaced, or
modified in any way.
13.8 SUSPENSION
A. Standard, as defined herein, suspension springs must be used.
They may not be cut, shortened or collapsed. Cars with swing
axle suspension may be lowered sufficiently to achieve no more
than two degrees of negative camber at rest, and may use a
camber compensator. Spring perches may not vary from the OE
shape within the working part of the perch.
B. Both the front and rear suspension may be adjusted through
their designed range of adjustment by use of factory adjustment
arrangements or by taking advantage of inherent manufacturing
tolerances. This encompasses both alignment and ride height
parameters, if such adjustments are provided by the stock components
and specified by the factory as normal methods of adjustment.
However, no suspension part may be modified for the
purpose of adjustment unless such modification is specifically
authorized by the factory shop manual for non-competition
purposes.
C. Suspension bushings, including but not limited to those which
carry the weight of the vehicle and determine ride height, may
not be replaced with bushings of a different material or dimension.
D. Replacement control arms for vehicles having integral bushing/
arm assemblies must be standard factory parts as per Sections
68 - 12.4 and 13.0.
With the changes already made, I would think SST is a good start.

I thought STS2 until I read this
14.11 STS2
...... Excluded vehicles include Lotus (all), Mazda Miata (‘99+), and Toyota
MR2 (‘91-’95 and ‘00+)
We have some MR2's running. When you come out, hook up with them to find out a bit more about what's best for your car, other than driver seat time (and lots of it).
Also, don't forget we now have a Novice Class that will run all year as a class vieing for the Novice Trophy at the end of the year. Best six times (pax'ed) wins.
Welcome to the addicition! Glad you're on board.

Tom Phillips
No$ Rep
SSSS
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Davis,

Welcome to the addiction! Don't worry about spins - I'll keep the attention off you with my patented Cold Start 360. It wows the crowd.

The springs and rear sway bar do put you outside the Stock classes, as well as our own version on street tires, SK1 and SK2. You are eligible for the new SST class, which I expect will have serious competition.

Don't worry about that though. Come out, drive, make some new friends, show up for practices - even if you don't get in to the heavily oversubscribed early-season ones, be there with a helmet, ask for rides and learn by observation - and watch your relative times improve substantially.

Mike Simanyi
Davis Eng

Post by Davis Eng »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

I'm not thinking of being competitive right now, I just want to come out and experience what I've been missing out! :mrgreen:

So the springs and strut bars don't qualify me for stock class. Hmm I think I might take them off, ES does sound pretty fun. And then there's the Novice and SST class. From what I've read, the way my car is now, I'm still eligible for Novice class since it's "drive what you brung"? SST is going to be pretty competitive eh? Sounds cool, now only if I was more experienced. ;)

Can't wait to get out and meet you guys! Thanks again for the info. :)
Futurama is brought to you by: Thompson's Teeth - The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Novice class is handicapped (indexed) based on what class you would be in normally. I imagine ES would have a much easier index for you than SST. But at first I'd just come run and then see what you want to do. With your car, ES is a very logical path. But you need to decide if you like the sport enough to change your car.

You can start Novice class as an SST index and switch to ES index when you make changes.

Welcome to the sport! Our family is in the big big big toyhauler carrying the gay teal civie and the cute little Kid Kart. Stop by anytime for questions or help or just to say hi!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm not thinking of being competitive right now, I just want to come out and experience what I've been missing out!
You're going into it with the right attitude. Just go out and have fun, and try to become a better driver. After the addiction has taken full control and you improve as a driver, you can decide which way to proceed as far as being competitive. See you at the next event :D
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Davis Eng

Post by Davis Eng »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Novice class is handicapped (indexed) based on what class you would be in normally. I imagine ES would have a much easier index for you than SST. But at first I'd just come run and then see what you want to do. With your car, ES is a very logical path. But you need to decide if you like the sport enough to change your car.

You can start Novice class as an SST index and switch to ES index when you make changes.

Welcome to the sport! Our family is in the big big big toyhauler carrying the gay teal civie and the cute little Kid Kart. Stop by anytime for questions or help or just to say hi!
Ooo okay, thanks for explaining that Steve. I do like the idea of learning how to drive my car in stock trim. :) But we'll see if I can get my lazy butt up to switch the springs haha.
Kurt Rahn wrote:
I'm not thinking of being competitive right now, I just want to come out and experience what I've been missing out!
You're going into it with the right attitude. Just go out and have fun, and try to become a better driver. After the addiction has taken full control and you improve as a driver, you can decide which way to proceed as far as being competitive. See you at the next event :D
Heh, I can't wait for the addiction to kick in. :D
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Heh, I can't wait for the addiction to kick in.
It only took me one hit ;)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Post by Tito Sar »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Heh, I can't wait for the addiction to kick in.
It only took me one hit ;)
I like how you think. :D
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Only took me one hit....

Only took my wife one hit....

Now it looks like it only took my five year old one hit.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

I got addicted after watching my brother race so I guess that is like a second hand high?? Then i tried it and am having withdrawals since I have to wait until Jan 11 to get some more.
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Hehehehehe...
The vicious cycle continues....

We had an Ekstrand family get together yesterday. And Robert was really excited to find out his grandpa was a racer (two-time NHRA World Champ), he knew his mommie and daddie and Uncle Tadd raced. And now he's a racer too. The dealers should give us a family discount. Have to talk to the Berry's about their supplier.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

cool! maybe you saw one of my requests for more so cal deuces

dont change the springs just come out and have fun.... if you want to get anything for the car get a front sway and front camber bolts (just ask)

i will help you dial the car if you want... your on the right track with the koni's

did you get into the practice or champ event jan 10-11

jeff
91 mr2 n/a

mr2 board name 'race4eva' lol
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5