Ok, I'll be the one who ask's; What is Pay-pal?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Ok, I'll be the one who ask's; What is Pay-pal?

Post by David Barrish »

Would some one run thru the; how do I sign up, what does it do to or for the club, ect...

Not every one is up to speed on yet another way to spend their money.

Thank you.

David Barrish
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Re: Ok, I'll be the one who ask's; What is Pay-pal.

Post by Jeff Shyu »

paypal's basically a credit card swiper for the common man.

they take 2.9% off the top of every transaction for their services (at least on most normal transactions).

they take your account info, setup to draw from either your bank account, or credit card. you can send e-check (no 2.9% charge) with the service too.

i have my personal distaste for paypal, but can't deny it's convenience, nor the popularity, so I'm forced to use it frequently.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i have my personal distaste for paypal
Did you get burned by them before?
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Jeff Shyu wrote:i have my personal distaste for paypal
Did you get burned by them before?
i ordered a bird cage online, paid via paypal (which withdrew from my checking directly).

the bird cage company was very shady, and upon defect notification, they IMMEDIATELY filed an insurance claim vs. UPS, even though the OUTSIDE of the box was immaculate, and pretty obvious that the damage (bent metal bars) could not have happened during shipping.

UPS claimed (correctly so) that it wasn't a problem with shipping, so i had to resort to paypal to try to back charge the cage company. end result, even though the pictures show the defect clearly, Paypal wanted me to find a "bird cage expert" to verify the damage. when i told them that i didn't know what a "bird cage expert" was, and asked them to provide me with an acceptable source in my area, their response was "it is not our responsibility to help you locate that source".

at that point, i had already spent considerable personal time making all sorts of calls, and I gave up. the lesson learned was, Paypal's priority is to protect the seller, not the buyer.
Bob Beamesderfer

Re: Ok, I'll be the one who ask's; What is Pay-pal?

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Owned by eBay; handles monetary transactions between buyers and sellers both on and off eBay.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

PayPal has been great, in general. I've used them for year.

Only one bad incident. Jeff Kiessel sent me $50 via PayPal ... and it never showed up. He has the receipts showing it was withdrawn and sent ... but it disappeared. I spent a while trying to recover it from PayPal, but they got into a loop of proof that got me no where.

PayPal is basically what makes eBay work.

I have my monies directly deposited to my checking account, without any additional fees.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

eBay bought PayPal off the young man who created it. We filmed a commercial in his Beverly Hills Toy Box. $10,000/day rental for us to shoot there ... the rich just keep getting richer. Toy Box ... it was filled with every imaginable gizmo ... 100% bachelor pad. The State of CA allows home owners to rent out there homes/property TAX FREE for a number of days a year. The production companies often pay the neighbors something also for their troubles, use of drive ways, etc.
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Mako Koiwai wrote:I have my monies directly deposited to my checking account, without any additional fees.
what do you mean?

if i send you $50 dollars through paypal, you'll actually get $50 dollars in your account, instead of $48.55?

if so, i need to know how to do this. the 2.9% charge for instant payment is really annoying.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No, they take their percentage off the top, I remember when it was free for small time users! ... but isn't the direct to bank transfer free as opposed to some of the other pay out options?
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Mako Koiwai wrote:No, they take their percentage off the top, I remember when it was free for small time users! ... but isn't the direct to bank transfer free as opposed to some of the other pay out options?
the only free transaction on paypal (that i'm aware of) is through an e-check. paypal withdraws the money from your bank, waits for it to clear (3-4 days), and then issues the money to the receiving end.

it takes longer, but i request it when i'm selling a $1000 camera lens.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You might have heard stories of eBay fraud, where eBay refuses to help, ie. revel the sellers address. A fellow worker told me last week that he lost $5,500 buying a used top of the line Canon dslr a few years ago. Was somehow able to get the (stupid) buyers address, got the local (Indiana I believe) police to confront the kid, who showed them a receipt that he had just mailed off the camera. Turned out it was a very cheap pond shop piece of junk. But now that he mailed it, it became mail fraud and the FBI stepped in. Ebay wouldn't even answer the FBI's questions ... but they arrested the kid. My friend had to spend another $1,500 to fly in for the court appearance. The 18 year old is now serving 3 years. My friend won't be able to go after the money until he's out of jail.

The kid was posing as a soldier about to be sent off to Iran. He was pretending to need quick sales before he was shipped off. Apparently he had frauded a number of people. He signed his sales description ... Good Bless You and Our Great Country. For some reason that was reassuring to my colleague? :(

I've sold many bits of camera gear, around the world. Never had any problems. I was feeling out a buyer in Switzerland. Turned out he was a drug co. rep for a Dr. friend of mine in Basel, Switzerland. I felt pretty safe about that one.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

David Barrish wrote:Would some one run thru the; how do I sign up, what does it do to or for the club, ect...

Not every one is up to speed on yet another way to spend their money.

Thank you.

David Barrish
To be clear, it's FREE as a buyer and it's free and easy to set up. The seller pays the fee, and it's up to them to pass on or include it. We are going to discuss if the online entry fee should be $31 to partially cover the fee.

It is not just for credit cards, in fact I've never used it that way. Draws directly from my bank account. Never had a problem with all the stuff I've bought from eBay ranging from $3 items to 2 different go karts, one of which was $4500. Best thing about it is it hides your bank account number or credit card number from the seller.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

There is the option when paying for Regi to use/open a pay pal account or just pay with a credit card with out siging up for pay pal, (that is how i did it ) I dont care for pay pal much , to much hassle with disputes.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Tom Denham wrote:There is the option when paying for Regi to use/open a pay pal account or just pay with a credit card with out siging up for pay pal, (that is how i did it ) I dont care for pay pal much , to much hassle with disputes.
?? On the AXWare ORM site? Should not be any option. It's set for PayPay only at the moment. If you paid something there with a credit card I'm not sure where the money went.

The Online Payment Report shows you in the list as having paid, but the total sent to PayPal is $30 short and there is no other balance shown for us.
Last edited by Rick Brown on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Rick Brown wrote:
Tom Denham wrote:There is the option when paying for Regi to use/open a pay pal account or just pay with a credit card with out siging up for pay pal, (that is how i did it ) I dont care for pay pal much , to much hassle with disputes.
?? On the AXWare ORM site? Should not be any option. It's set for PayPay only at the moment. If you paid something there with a credit card I'm not sure where the money went.
i think he meant paying through paypal with a CC, instead of opening up a real PP account that's linked to your bank.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Shyu wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
i think he meant paying through paypal with a CC, instead of opening up a real PP account that's linked to your bank.
No, that's still PayPal. Once you are sent to PayPal, how you pay is up to you. CC, bank account or PayPal Balance.

The Online Payment Report shows Tom in the list as having paid, but the total sent to PayPal is $30 short and there is no other balance shown for us.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Rick Brown wrote:Once you are sent to PayPal, how you pay is up to you. CC, bank account or PayPal Balance.
The beauty of PayPal...yet I still get the occassional payment via check for a points card.
Rick Brown wrote:The Online Payment Report shows Tom in the list as having paid, but the total sent to PayPal is $30 short and there is no other balance shown for us.
Tom is paid up as he's on the list in the thread I posted and I got his payment yesterday.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Rick Brown wrote:Once you are sent to PayPal, how you pay is up to you. CC, bank account or PayPal Balance.
The beauty of PayPal...yet I still get the occassional payment via check for a points card.
Rick Brown wrote:The Online Payment Report shows Tom in the list as having paid, but the total sent to PayPal is $30 short and there is no other balance shown for us.
Tom is paid up as he's on the list in the thread I posted and I got his payment yesterday.
Then I need you to compare the OLP Report to your PayPal list of who has paid. The report has 18 people listed as paying $30 (18 x $30 = $540) but the total paid is only $510. Maybe there is a bug in the Report.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

:evil:

I have a email and printed receipt from Pay pal.
With a Receipt id # showing i paid 30.00
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Jeff Shyu wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Jeff is correct
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Thanks Gio
Giovanni Jaramillo

Rick Brown wrote:
Then I need you to compare the OLP Report to your PayPal list of who has paid. The report has 18 people listed as paying $30 (18 x $30 = $540) but the total paid is only $510. Maybe there is a bug in the Report.
I double checked only 18 people paid so far (I don't include myself as I registered, then paid, then refunded myself and unregistered).
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

You have to be careful if you want credit card with Paypal because they will continually try to sneek you back to using your bank account.

I got ripped off for like $600 on eBay. It was a big scam that totaled about $70K. The FBI actually stepped in (rare) and busted the guy. I was interviewed over the phone several times as I was the first person to report the scam. I think I was also the first person to track down the defendent. And I threatened him in a legal way. I sent him a picture of his house focused on the tricycle in the driveway delivered by courier. Simple note. You ripped off the wrong guy, I suggest you make it right.

Of course, I'd already contacted eBay and paypal, both launched mindless worthless investigations. After two weeks, I called Visa and they launched an investigation. They immediately credited my account. But warned me, that they could reverse it if they found the sellers claims valid. Couple of weeks later I got a letter from Visa that they charged back PAYPAL and it was permanent. PAYPAL revoked my account and banned me from PAYPAL. Re-registered with a different bank account and credit card and I now have a PAYPAL account again.

2.9% sucks. But Visa has my back.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You have to be careful if you want credit card with Paypal because they will continually try to sneek you back to using your bank account.
+1 on this. First option is to pay with any money in your PayPal account, then it's your bank account, then it's your debit card account....THEN it's a credit card. I always change my option to credit card. And NEVER forget.
Steve Ekstrand wrote:2.9% sucks. But Visa has my back.
Visa.....EVERYWHERE YOU WANT TO BE
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You have to be careful if you want credit card with Paypal because they will continually try to sneek you back to using your bank account.
I just paid for a video camera using PayPal and get this: when I tried to switch from my bank acct. to my credit card, they put up a screen saying basically "are you sure?" with some reasons why I shouldn't. Then they used wording on the buttons (to get to the next screen) that are confusing enough that if you hit the one that seems to say "yes, I really want to use my credit card," it switches you back to the bank account. And unless you look carefully, you can't tell that the switchback has happened. CHEESY! After the stories you guys have told, I'll never let them withdraw from my bank acct. again.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.