Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Michael Palero, Leonard Cachola

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Anthony P. » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am

Tim Sanchez wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am

Is there a benefit for choosing one or the other (STR vs CST), I'm assuming you can only be part of one?
You can compete in one per race, but it's best to choose to compete in the same class for the year typically. As the year goes on more competitors meet each and often offer help in a myriad of ways.
Tim Sanchez wrote:
I'm also still trying to figure out the membership process....I believe if I register for SCCA (Individual) that it includes the regional club (Cal Club) fees? And then in addition to that, it's advised to get a points card, which I believe involves choosing a club?
Yup, Scca national membership plus regional, (you can choose Guam region if your looking to save that $25. On the other hand with cal club as your region there is no gate fee at buttonwillow, so factor that in)

Then a points card, to collection year end points and secure a permanent number. You can choose no club as an option.
Tim Sanchez wrote:
Thanks in advance. Still trying to learn and figure this out....if there is a specific post or page that has this, please point me to it!
Your welcome. Likewise if you have any feedback on making this process easier, feel free to make a post or send a private message.

Mike Simanyi
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 pm

Tim,

I'll add one more thought: when you ran with us before you had to buy a Weekend Membership. If you saved the form for that or have the ID number for it, that should qualify you for a discount on your regular SCCA membership.

So see if you can find the info on that if you'd like to save some money.

I don't know if this information is still current, but a Google search came to this: https://help.motorsportreg.com/article/ ... end-number

Mike

Shane Donahue

Post by Shane Donahue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:10 am

Tim Sanchez wrote:
Is there a benefit for choosing one or the other (STR vs CST), I'm assuming you can only be part of one?
I generally encourage people to participate in the lowest possible class that their car qualifies for, as you will be more accurate in PAX index (Think of it like a golf handicap based on car modifications) and be more similar to other cars for time comparison and potentially competition down the road.

Sure, CST is an easy catch-all class, but math/handicap wise it's not going to do you any favors for the same reason.

Stalin Quintanilla

Post by Stalin Quintanilla » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:46 pm

I’m new to this. What class would I be if I got a ,13 Ford Focus st, stage 3 with E30 tune and lower sprints ?

Thanks

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Stalin Quintanilla wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:46 pm
I’m new to this. What class would I be if I got a ,13 Ford Focus st, stage 3 with E30 tune and lower sprints ?

Thanks
Depends. I reccommend California street touring and some hand shakes with fellow competitors, it's easier when the car is there when they are modified.