Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Mike Simanyi »

RokuDergy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:33 pm I have a completely stock 2023 Rush SR. More info on the car can be found here: https://rushautoworks.com/car_post/rush-sr/
I have to say, that looks like a very cool car! I'd love to see it at our next event. Are you trying to dial it in, test it, or just have a fun time?
RokuDergy

Post by RokuDergy »

Thanks Rick! I'm already registered for both days 😃 excited to bring it to it's first autocross.

@Mike Just have fun, I took it to it's first track day at buttonwillow a few weeks ago and it was the fastest car in both hpde1/2. I'm curious how it'll do at autocross (even though I'm a very slow driver lol)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

It will likely need some adjustments for autocross, not sure what your level of skill is on that, but we do have people that can help that have skill with that type of vehicle.

Note, I changed your class for Sunday to CPM (Combined Prep & Mod) with an index of BM (B Modified), our initial guess where it should fit.
RokuDergy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:24 pm Thanks Rick! I'm already registered for both days 😃 excited to bring it to it's first autocross.

@Mike Just have fun, I took it to it's first track day at buttonwillow a few weeks ago and it was the fastest car in both hpde1/2. I'm curious how it'll do at autocross (even though I'm a very slow driver lol)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Daynonhc

Post by Daynonhc »

Hello! I'm brand new and hoping to join this Sunday. I'll be driving my stock 2012 Mazda miata (retractable hardtop if that matters). What class should I enter when I register?

Let me know, thanks!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

You would be in C Street (CS).
Daynonhc wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:14 pm Hello! I'm brand new and hoping to join this Sunday. I'll be driving my stock 2012 Mazda miata (retractable hardtop if that matters). What class should I enter when I register?

Let me know, thanks!
Jasonrcooke

Post by Jasonrcooke »

I have a 4 wheel slingshot, would I be able to autocross with it? I read in other forums that the 3 wheel version is not allowed, however I couldn't find anything about the 4 wheel version. Also if it was allowed what class would it be in?
Attachments
20220813_193530.jpg
20220813_193530.jpg (4.85 MiB) Viewed 270919 times
20220813_193542.jpg
20220813_193542.jpg (5.11 MiB) Viewed 270919 times
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

4 wheels helps a lot! it can run in B modified.
Armando de Armas

Post by Armando de Armas »

Hi all! Hoping to finally attend an autocross soon for the fun of it and to learn. I'm curious what class my car would fall in. I have an 08 STI (AWD and turbo). I haven't modified the engine, but I do have an axleback exhaust and have removed most of the sound deadening out of the car. I'm not sure if either of those affect the class. Appreciate the help and guidance!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Armando de Armas wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:53 pm Hi all! Hoping to finally attend an autocross soon for the fun of it and to learn. I'm curious what class my car would fall in. I have an 08 STI (AWD and turbo). I haven't modified the engine, but I do have an axleback exhaust and have removed most of the sound deadening out of the car. I'm not sure if either of those affect the class. Appreciate the help and guidance!
Exhaust after the catalytic is allowed in Street Classes and up. Sound deadening removal is a killer, I think that would move you all the way to Prepared Category, where massive modifications are allowed, typically non street legal cars that arrive on a trailer. You could run in CST (California Street Touring) which is open to almost anything that is street legal(ish). That being said, when you are new, just learning, no one really cares as long as you are not winning the class. The Street Category class would be D-street (DS). Also, you can run in Time Only, where it's just for fun and class doesn't matter.

Cal Club doesn't have an event until December, however San Diego Region has events at the end of September and in October at the same location we run at, Lake Elsinore Storm Stadium. The do things pretty much the same as we do. Check motorsportreg.com for details.

Disclaimer: If I'm wrong about any of this (entirely possible), someone will surely step up to correct me ;) .
webby

Post by webby »

Hi everyone, I just got a 24 BMW M4 and wanting to autocross it. What class would this be? Thanks
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

webby wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm Hi everyone, I just got a 24 BMW M4 and wanting to autocross it. What class would this be? Thanks
2024 Rules are not out yet, and I don't believe the 2024 M4 has been classed yet, but the 2023 M4 (G82) is A Street, so go with that for now.
cwroe

Post by cwroe »

I'm brand new to this sport, and looking to potentially drive in a few events in the future. I've been modifying my 2006 WRX Wagon now that it's no longer my daily. I'm not really looking to win anything, more interested in learning more about my car, becoming a better driver, and playing with suspension/ handling.

Head gasket blew around 150k miles, so I had it repaired. Now around 163k.

2006 WRX Wagon
Stock wheels
stock engine
stock brakes w/ braided lines and upgraded pads
catback exhaust
coilovers
upgraded rear swaybar + endlinks
caster mod (transverse mount, Whiteline ALK)
Front end bushing replacements
Transmission mount replacement
Fender braces
A light up christmas wreath
Red rhinestone license plate frames
A huge dent in the driver's side door that some prick slammed into it in a parking lot when I was in college
RiverKentValley

Post by RiverKentValley »

Hi! I've used the SCCA Classifier website, but my car doesn't appear on it. My car is a Mercedes Benz 2014 CLS 550 4Matic (C2018). What class should it be in? Thanks!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

RiverKentValley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:17 am Hi! I've used the SCCA Classifier website, but my car doesn't appear on it. My car is a Mercedes Benz 2014 CLS 550 4Matic (C2018). What class should it be in? Thanks!
Looking in the 2024 Rules, the only thing I see is the H Street listing for Mercedes NOC (Not Otherwise Classified), and E550 in Street Touring® Ultra (STU).
rooskaii

Post by rooskaii »

hello everyone, it is my first post here.

i have two vehicles i would like to make an autocross / autorally to try to start this dream of racing and to make friends.

i have a lowered 2004 bmw e46 330ci convertible, stock engine - i looked at the scca national class - do i qualify under GS ?

i also have a stock 2003 330i e46 sedan - it seems they are both on GS class . let me know if this not the case..

i would like to try to make things happen for mid-april in san diego ...

edit: bc i forgot i lowered my car with lowering springs
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

rooskaii wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:08 am hello everyone, it is my first post here.

i have two vehicles i would like to make an autocross / autorally to try to start this dream of racing and to make friends.

i have a lowered 2004 bmw e46 330ci convertible, stock engine - i looked at the scca national class - do i qualify under GS ?

i also have a stock 2003 330i e46 sedan - it seems they are both on GS class . let me know if this not the case..
The lowering springs are not allowed in Street Category, so the 330ci would be bumped to STX (Street Touring Xtreme).
Otherwise both would be GS.
RiverKentValley

Post by RiverKentValley »

Rick Brown wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm
RiverKentValley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:17 am Hi! I've used the SCCA Classifier website, but my car doesn't appear on it. My car is a Mercedes Benz 2014 CLS 550 4Matic (C2018). What class should it be in? Thanks!
Looking in the 2024 Rules, the only thing I see is the H Street listing for Mercedes NOC (Not Otherwise Classified), and E550 in Street Touring® Ultra (STU).
Thank you so much for answering my question!
ficklebjt

Post by ficklebjt »

Hi Everyone!

I’m new to autocross, and am hoping to join an event this year. I have a 2007 Miata (Grand Touring trim) that is stock except for an aluminum coolant expansion tank and an aftermarket (CarPlay-compatible) stereo head unit.

My main questions are:
- What class would my car belong to?
- Am I required to have a roll bar with this configuration?
- If I do install a roll bar, will I then also need a five point harness?
- Do I need a fire extinguisher?

I’m hoping to join the event in July.

Thank you,
FickleBJT
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

ficklebjt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm Hi Everyone!

I’m new to autocross, and am hoping to join an event this year. I have a 2007 Miata (Grand Touring trim) that is stock except for an aluminum coolant expansion tank and an aftermarket (CarPlay-compatible) stereo head unit.

My main questions are:
- What class would my car belong to?
- Am I required to have a roll bar with this configuration?
- If I do install a roll bar, will I then also need a five point harness?
- Do I need a fire extinguisher?

I’m hoping to join the event in July.

Thank you,
FickleBJT
You would be in C-Street (CS), none of the above required.