Cal Club Rallies?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Cal Club Rallies?

Post by Michael Palero »

Anyone familiar with these Cal Club Rallies?
http://scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=48

They have a rally this Dec 5 in Mission Hills.

http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.htm
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: Cal Club Rallies?

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

First Friday every month. Never been there, but sounds like a good group. I've talked with the lead girl a few times (Jenne English?) and was 'forced' to hang out with the higher end Road Ralliest at the SCCA convention (since RallyX and Road Rally are in the same department). Usually older easy going people. I'd like to try, but it's on the wrong side of LA county for me, especially on a Friday.

Jay W
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Used to do that when I was in college. Classes range from SOP (seat of pants) to people with high end gear. Jeanne has been around forever and they are like us, basically independent from papa CalClub. Called TSD (time, speed, distance) rallies where you get specific instructions where to turn and exactly what speed to drive. When you encounter a check point (you don't know where they are) your time is logged from the previous check point and you are scored on the total error from the official time. Requires a driver and a navigator. Running joke was if you are married, you won't be for long :lol:
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen and I did one a few months ago ... BORING ... but the top guys, one a former National Champ, are awesome. They finish within a few seconds of perfect. Consisted mainly of driving in the hills around Valencia, at night ... while figuring out arcane instructions, between signs, intersections, etc. and trying to average a certain speed for that section. The fun part was finishing at a Pizza place ... and having a bit of Beer. :sleepy:
Taylor Kurtz
Car#: 0

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

Two of my friends just bought a shop from one of the top Rally drivers in America, Blake Yoon. I would love to get into rally racing, but I don't have a car that i'm willing to put into a tree.
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Thomas Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Taylor Kurtz wrote:Two of my friends just bought a shop from one of the top Rally drivers in America, Blake Yoon. I would love to get into rally racing, but I don't have a car that i'm willing to put into a tree.
Blake was involved in performance rally (the kind done at high speed on dirt roads), not TSD rally.

Its very easy to get involved in rally as a volunteer. Go to http://www.californiarallyseries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas Smith
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Thomas Smith wrote:
Taylor Kurtz wrote:Two of my friends just bought a shop from one of the top Rally drivers in America, Blake Yoon. I would love to get into rally racing, but I don't have a car that i'm willing to put into a tree.
Blake was involved in performance rally (the kind done at high speed on dirt roads), not TSD rally.

Its very easy to get involved in rally as a volunteer. Go to http://www.californiarallyseries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, don't get confused people, this isn't high speed drifting along rim of the world here. It's a navigation and time deal. If you want to get into performance rally, SCCA Rally Cross is a great option.
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Shauna and I used to do a bunch of TSD rallies with the ITN Rally Group. http://carzero.freeservers.com/

Awesome roads and scenery, very challenging on the driver/co-driver relationship...I would usually threaten the organizers with liabilty for our marriage counseling. :lol: Actually it got much better when I stopped second guessing Shauna's navigating.

Then Autocross became the focus, and it seemed like all of the rallies were on autcross weekends...
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

I actually got turned onto Solo2 from some British Accent Black Wagon driver during a TSD Rally near Temecula a while ago.
Good people.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Jason Flores
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

I can see it now...

Introducting the RALLY ALLSTAR CIVIC!!!

Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Are they the same group that years ago did the gimmick rallies? Cindy and I used to participate in those before we got married and a few years after when we combined a trip to LA with a weekend an event was taking place (90-93).

Background: Instead of time/distance, it was following arcane directions. With "rules" that were defined differently every event. For example: turn at the third street. In one event that might be the third "street", not Blvd, Dr. Ln, parkway ect. At the next event they might define street as the third opportunity. "Opportunity" might be defined as a public street, or could involve driveways, alley, along with the normal "paved" type options. Depending on where you turned, the next direction might be to count the number of telephone poles along that street. Depending on where you turned, different parallel streets might have different numbers of "items" to count. Your answer was recorded in a packet, and points were distributed base upon how accurate you followed all of the directions along the route.
In one of the Christmas events, there was a description of the event, where it explained you were one of Santas helpers, and would be going along with him to deliver the presents Christmas eve. At one checkpoint you were asked what kind of vehicle we were in. I answered an Acura Integra, the correct answer was Santas sled. Now we were never told that, but if we were delivering with Santa on Christmas eve, what else would be in? There was a lot of thinking outside the box, but over thinking could also hurt you point wise.

If anyone knows if these still exist, I'd love to do that again.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Come join us this Friday, December 5, for the December First Friday Niter. Rallymaster Rachel Smith course that crosses the Santa Monica mountains to Pacific Coast Highway. The drivers will enjoy the cruise up the coast, while the navigators will be kept busy. And who knows, you might even see Santa Claus somewhere along the way! The finish is at Topper’s Pizza in Camarillo on Arneill north of the 101 Freeway.

Usual time and place: registration opens at 7 pm, beginner meeting at 7:40 pm, first car out at 8:01 pm, B of A rear lot, Sepulveda and Devonshire, Mission Hills.

Both driver and navigator must be SCCA members. If you are not, you can buy a weekend SCCA membership for $5 per car. (Passengers do not have to be SCCA members).

Read the FFN flyer and General Instructions at http://www.smscc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can also see pictures from previous FFNs and our other events in the Photo Gallery section of the Cal Club road rally website.

Specials:
Zero Dollars: Contestants are awarded ‘Rally Bucks’ for getting zeroes – Class A gets 1 Rally Buck per zero, Classes B and C get 2 Rally Bucks per zero, and Class D gets 3 Rally Bucks per zero. Rally Bucks can be accumulated and used like cash for FFN entry fees.

Minors: For a minor to participate, both parents must sign the SCCA Minor Waiver. Each parent's signature is only valid if the parent signs in the presence of the rally registrar or the parent's signature is notarized. You can download the SCCA Minor Waiver from:
http://www.scca.com/documents/insurance ... waiver.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info: Larry: Larry_Scholnick@yahoo.com 310-270-8826
Jeanne: ean21@juno.com 310-372-7168
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Next one:

Who cares about a silly parade or football game? Start the new year off right with a rally on Friday nite! Rallymaster Joanna Paden has picked some of her favorite roads for you, and wants you to be ‘ONTO Bigger and Better Things’. The rally spends time in both the Santa Monica mountains and the San Fernando Valley. The finish is at Weiler’s Deli on Victory Blvd near Variel in Canoga Park (across the street from Woodland Hills).

Usual time and place: registration opens at 7 pm, beginner meeting at 7:40 pm, first car out at 8:01 pm, B of A rear lot, Sepulveda and Devonshire, Mission Hills.

Both driver and navigator must be SCCA members. If you are not, you can buy a weekend SCCA membership for $5 per car. (Passengers do not have to be SCCA members).

Read the FFN flyer and General Instructions at http://www.smscc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can also see pictures from previous FFNs and our other events in the Photo Gallery section of the Cal Club road rally website.

Specials:
Zero Dollars: Contestants are awarded ‘Rally Bucks’ for getting zeroes – Class A gets 1 Rally Buck per zero, Classes B and C get 2 Rally Bucks per zero, and Class D gets 3 Rally Bucks per zero. Rally Bucks can be accumulated and used like cash for FFN entry fees.

Minors: For a minor to participate, both parents must sign the SCCA Minor Waiver. Each parent's signature is only valid if the parent signs in the presence of the rally registrar or the parent's signature is notarized. You can download the SCCA Minor Waiver from:
http://www.scca.com/documents/insurance ... waiver.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info: Larry: Larry_Scholnick@yahoo.com 310-270-8826
Jeanne: ean21@juno.com 310-372-7168
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Coinciding with the SCCA Weekend at CA Spdway 24/25th Jan.

Here’s your chance to drive some laps at the Auto Club (Fontana) Speedway! Cal Club/SCCA is racing at the Speedway January 23, 24, and 25. They have invited us to come out on Saturday to join them.

We are doing a ‘Rally to the Race’ on Saturday morning, January 24. It will start at the usual FFN start location, time still to be determined. The cost is $10. For that, you get the rally (format still to be determined), lunch, and laps of the track during the racers’ lunch break. The laps will be led by a pace car (or race car) with speeds to about 65 mph. The SOLO folks will also be there, doing their thing in part of the parking lot. That evening, about 5:30 pm, will be Cal Club’s Annual Meeting which you are also invited to attend if you wish.

We need to know by Friday, January 16, if you are going to attend (so they know how many lunches and how many lap sessions to plan for). If you plan to attend, email to Jeanne at ean21@juno.com or reply to this email. You will then be sent further details.

Hope to see you there!
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jeanne English is the rallymaster for the February First Friday Niter this Friday, February 6. The rally heads up to Rye Canyon and then onto the canyon roads of the surrounding foothills. The finish is at Round Table Pizza, Sand Canyon and the 14 Freeway in Santa Clarita. Usual time and place: registration opens at 7 pm, beginner meeting at 7:40 pm, first car out at 8:01 pm, B of A rear lot, Sepulveda and Devonshire, Mission Hills.

Specials:

INAUGURAL is coming on Saturday, February 28. Rallymaster Sam Weissen has written a route that will challenge both drivers and navigators. The rally finishes at Topper’s Pizza on Arniell just north of the 101 freeway in Camarillo. Read the Inaugural flyer and generals at http://www.smscc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Both driver and navigator must be SCCA members (for both the FFN and Inaugural). If you are not, you can buy a weekend SCCA membership for $5 per car. (Passengers do not have to be SCCA members.) Please contact us if you have any questions about this.

Info: Larry - Larry_Scholnick@yahoo.com 310-270-8826
Jeanne – ean21@juno.com 310-372-7168