News on Divisionals?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

News on Divisionals?

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Anyone have any current info on the status of a divisional series? I saw that we have a tentative date set out for the CSCC event, but I haven't heard much else. Jayson, if you need another body to help making this happen, give me a call.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: News on Divisionals?

Post by Rick Brown »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Anyone have any current info on the status of a divisional series? I saw that we have a tentative date set out for the CSCC event, but I haven't heard much else. Jayson, if you need another body to help making this happen, give me a call.
It's complicated. May be ProParts, may be official SCCA Div, may be both, may be neither. When we know more, we'll pass it on. But there will most likely be a two day event of some kind on that date. We agreed we want do do it. Maybe this should be moved to the politics forum........ :?
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Wonder if I will get the rest of my 2008 contingency money before the next series starts. :(
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Wonder if I will get the rest of my 2008 contingency money before the next series starts. :(
Say what?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jason Isley BS RX8

George Schilling wrote:
Say what?
Still waiting on Kumho money.... I am the only one?
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I've sent a couple 'lets get started' emails out to Guy, Chris (SFR) and Mark (SDR). No responses. Brian Peters is interested in bringing Phoenix into the mix, they're only hold up is securing a feesable venue.

Also, I've asked not to be the chair for '09, but didn't remember to remind the committee to look for one last meeting. So I don't know where that status is either. I figured on being a smarter part of the series and let someone else focus on the LA event since doing both nearly killed me last year.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
George Schilling wrote:
Say what?
Still waiting on Kumho money.... I am the only one?
Hoosier sent us a tire right away. Don't know about Kuhmo.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Also, I've asked not to be the chair for '09, but didn't remember to remind the committee to look for one last meeting. So I don't know where that status is either. I figured on being a smarter part of the series and let someone else focus on the LA event since doing both nearly killed me last year.
Don't think I'm up to heavy lifting like being a chair yet, but I'd love to help make this happen if you need it.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: Brian Peters is interested in bringing Phoenix into the mix, they're only hold up is securing a feesable venue.
Jay W
Be sure to grill them on venue details. Attended a National Tour there a couple years ago and it was totally unsuitable. The race surface at Firebird Raceway was maybe a quarter the size of what we use at Fontana.

Bill
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

Bill Martin wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote: Brian Peters is interested in bringing Phoenix into the mix, they're only hold up is securing a feesable venue.
Jay W
Be sure to grill them on venue details. Attended a National Tour there a couple years ago and it was totally unsuitable. The race surface at Firebird Raceway was maybe a quarter the size of what we use at Fontana.

Bill
IIRC that event was scheduled for AMP but had to be moved last minute due to some local regulations/protests.
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative

Not much happening yet. Stay tuned.
Guy Ankeny

Post by Guy Ankeny »

Regarding the Divisionals. In December I talked with Chris Cox (SFR), and e-mailed Jason Woodruff. I never had a response from Jayson. Chris Cox and I were thinking because of the economic situation, maybe each region should put on their own divisional. The manufactures are feeling the pain too and probably won't be able to do as much as last year. Travel was difficult last year, just from the price of fuel. Remember the fuel prices we see now, will be rising again. We have the basics down, we can still have a divisional and make it special. Some may still be able to travel, and come anyway. We need to get more people trained for the responsibilities involved in these national type events, so the same people don't get burnt out from all the work. As you may know I don't work for ProParts anymore. While I was there, I spent at least 40 work hours-maybe 60-to get sponsors,workers etc. A lot of that foundation is done, but will still require hours on the phone during the day. I don't know if I'll be able to devote any or some of the time required-at my new job. As for Jason Isley--I thought everyone was paid. I'll call Brian Roberson. What does everyone else think???? Guy
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

Just to throw it out there...here are a couple of random, unconnected thoughts.

It's very cool to have the contingency/prizes, but I'm not sure that most people attended because of them. (Which is different from saying that the contingencies didn't influence people who traveled to attend all of them... That is, all the people who came to all three events last year probably won't come to all three events this year if there aren't contingencies.)

After so many years of no divisionals in SoPac, I would hate to see us lose the divisional series idea. The events were great, and it would be great to use the knowledge gained to go even better in '09 (noting, as above, that contingencies aren't the only definition of good or better...really. I think most of us do this because it's fun).

Seems like NorPac had some cool prizes for their divisional series that probably weren't prohibitively expensive. I remember talking to Katie Elder about umbrellas (yeah, I know, more appropriate for Seattle than us) and helmet bags and such.

Call me crazy, but the 4 Hoosiers I won in 2002 are way less treasured than the jacket.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Guy Ankeny wrote:Regarding the Divisionals. In December I talked with Chris Cox (SFR), and e-mailed Jason Woodruff. I never had a response from Jayson. Chris Cox and I were thinking because of the economic situation, maybe each region should put on their own divisional. The manufactures are feeling the pain too and probably won't be able to do as much as last year. Travel was difficult last year, just from the price of fuel. Remember the fuel prices we see now, will be rising again. We have the basics down, we can still have a divisional and make it special. Some may still be able to travel, and come anyway. We need to get more people trained for the responsibilities involved in these national type events, so the same people don't get burnt out from all the work. As you may know I don't work for ProParts anymore. While I was there, I spent at least 40 work hours-maybe 60-to get sponsors,workers etc. A lot of that foundation is done, but will still require hours on the phone during the day. I don't know if I'll be able to devote any or some of the time required-at my new job. As for Jason Isley--I thought everyone was paid. I'll call Brian Roberson. What does everyone else think???? Guy

The series was very cool, and certainly those that made it happen deserve a great big pat on the back. Perhaps in a better economy something like it could happen again.
I plan to make one trip to Norcal this year as we want to check out the new site, I sure hope they have a Div there, because we planned to skip Pros this year.
If we only had one Div in Sopac this year I would vote for El Toro on the concrete, if we can get it. This would be great practice for Natls.

Guy, I have talked to Brian, he is working on it – but actually no one on Kumhos has been paid yet. 

P.S. sorry to hear about your work situation, hope you find something quickly.
Jayson Woodruff

Guy Ankeny wrote:Regarding the Divisionals. In December I talked with Chris Cox (SFR), and e-mailed Jason Woodruff. I never had a response from Jayson.
Starting in on me early this year huh? I got the e-mail, and there was nothing I saw that implied you needed a response from me. I passed on the info to the club reps that it looks like a 'California' series wasn't going to happen and we started to explore a more traditional SoPac series. I haven't heard from SDR much and Arizona is still struggling with a venue. I did get info from SCCA on TireRack Divisional Cup stuff and I would say most any of the contengencies we'd want are already in there.

Also I've told the Club Reps I don't plan to be the actual event chair next year. We haven't yet made a move to find one.

Jay W
Michael Contour
Car#: 176

Post by Michael Contour »

San Diego did not get any 1st half dates that could be used for the divisional. I'm not sure when the draw meeting will be for the 2nd half.

Michael
Jayson Woodruff

Michael Contour wrote:San Diego did not get any 1st half dates that could be used for the divisional. I'm not sure when the draw meeting will be for the 2nd half.

Michael
Should I not be trying to get info from Mark?

Can you get a feel from the reps if they'd even put one on this year. I'd hate to have to wait until May-June for an answer.

Jay W
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Also I've told the Club Reps I don't plan to be the actual event chair next year. We haven't yet made a move to find one.
Jay W
Thanks for reminding me Jayson. I've updated our "Contacts" page at Solo2.com and removed your name and left it as "TBD".
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I loved the series last year, and I would go to the Bay Area again if another Divisional comes together this year. If it were just a week away from the Alalmeda Pro, and I can leave the car, it would be perfect!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'd definitely attend to all three as well. In fact I've been planning on it.
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I loved the series last year, and I would go to the Bay Area again if another Divisional comes together this year. If it were just a week away from the Alalmeda Pro, and I can leave the car, it would be perfect!
Is there someplace in the Bay area where the hippies won't try to sleep in it, poop in it, and set it on fire???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:I loved the series last year, and I would go to the Bay Area again if another Divisional comes together this year. If it were just a week away from the Alalmeda Pro, and I can leave the car, it would be perfect!
Is there someplace in the Bay area where the hippies won't try to sleep in it, poop in it, and set it on fire???
Tracy, although the pot growers might try turn your car in to a rolling hydroponic facility. :lol:
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Is there someplace in the Bay area where the hippies won't try to sleep in it, poop in it, and set it on fire???
You could leave it in Richmond. Even the hippies are afraid to go there. Unfortunately, since it's a lowered Civic, it'd be stolen and parted out within 17 minutes.
==============
Mark Duerst
Club: GRA
Car#: 173

Post by Mark Duerst »

Maybe we need to think on a much smaller scale for this year. We could do a SoCal series or just hold 1 combined event. Keep the contingencies to something more manageable and make it a fun 2 day event. Mari's idea on the prizes is great - maybe helmet bags would work also - seems like you can allways use or need an extra one. San Diego will be limited to dates in the second half of the year. But it does not need to be completed before nationals. We really can run the year round.
Keep the ideas flowing!
Mark Duerst
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Parking equipment in Northern California:

Does anyone know anyone who works for or with NASA. The NASA-Ames facility is on the grounds of the old Moffett Federal Air Field located north of San Jose on the 101 and 85 highways.

The guards at the gate are the real deal.