2008 Cal Club Courses, A retrospective.

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

2008 Cal Club Courses, A retrospective.

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

I figured with the end of the season it would be fun to take a look back at all the courses we got to run this year in one place. Thanks to John Fendel for his tireless work mapping each course.

Queue the slideshow and cheesy music:

----
Didn't have a drive for this event, so no Idea.
----
For this event I drove Mike Simiyani's car in STU trip with a binding front swaybar. Understeer management practice. Remember that the exit of the first slalom and the downhill run were really fast.
----
no map for april.
My first local event driving Max's car, I remember a LOT of cones and very closed in.
----
People who figured out that you had to set up a bunch for the top of the hill and could hold huge amounts of speed through the center showcase element won. I did the latter.. not so much the former.
Video of my run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGqXgom_dCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
You could carry tons of speed coming down the hill towards the finish and if you threaded the needle right you could carry large speed into the finish slalom and take it with just a bit of a lift. The finish was scary. Data said I'd beat max coming down the hill, then he's make it all back up going through the slalom sections. I definitely needed to work on slaloms. (at the wendover Pro I was paired with Tom Berry in my first trip to the Super Challenge. Even though I was leading tom at the turn around Tom knew he had me because he knew I had to go through the long finish slalom :lol: )
----
Woohoo, the first event that I beat Max in his STi. Long enough course that it was really hard to remember it all and tire heat managemnet became pretty important. Lot of fun though.
video of my Run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CadDogn0-jA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
Max showed me he still had the goods. How did Ken go through the lane change that fast? I still don't know, but he did something similar at Nationals.
video of Max's run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYQuUiJD9A8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
I was outa town..
----
We were at Nationals, so dunno.
----
Last local event for the STi, Max decided to show us he still had it. You figure him coming back with a second ProSolo National Championship would have though.
----
Rick let me drive his car, Car works great. Winner in the one who could hold down the gas in the slaloms (even though it was scary) and could keep it really tight and tidy in the turn arounds and for once the winner was me. :lol:
----
Drove my Supra, car did not work great. Course was fairly tight so barely got into boost. The entry into the final slalom was amazingly rad though.
----
My first event in the Larsonmobile, the course was high speed and itproved you wrong every time you thought you had it figured out. Took lots of aggression to get the most out of it.
Video of Marshall's run: http://www.vimeo.com/2536832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: 2008 Cal Club Courses, A retrospective.

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Edited with comments for the courses and some videos.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Re: 2008 Cal Club Courses, A retrospective.

Post by George Schilling »

Thanks Aaron. I was nice reminiscing the year that was. :)

Edited to also thank John Fendel for dutifully drawing and posting our course maps for each event. Thank you John!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head