Smog question

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Smog question

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

My Van is due at a Smog Only. The ABS light is now on steady. Are the smog guys going to be concered about that?

Jay W
Bob Beamesderfer

Re: Smog question

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Wouldn't think so; they only worry about a CEL.
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Pull the fuse "on the ABS" before the test.
Last edited by David Barrish on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayson Woodruff

David Barrish wrote:Pull the fuse before the test.
If its on their check list won't they look for the test light on start up?

Jay W
Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright »

ABS light has nothing to do with smog check. What year is your van? Any 1995 1/2 and newer [OBD 2] vehicle, pulling a fuse for a check engine light is not good for a couple reasons: Most of the time, it will NOT clear the code[s] and even if it does, it will require you to reset the [computer] monitors, of which 2/3rds have to be set to pass a smog test. Sometimes resetting monitors can be a major pain.

Mark [Smog Tech]
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I'm having a problem smogging Karen's '99 Miata. I've been working on the car and thus had the battery disconnected. They're telling me at the smog station that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car ... but it doesn't have enough "history" in it's ECU to pass ?!

We have had a check engine light, had it cleared but the lack of History is keeping us from passing. Btw. those Check Engine Light Eliminators on eBay, an extension that takes the O2 sensor out of the main stream, recommended by Karen's garage ... don't seem to work: http://tinyurl.com/3swjlo

In truth, I think the CATS might be toast ... 98K ... obd reader is now saying poor CAT efficiency. Before it told us to change out the Spark Pack ... which I did.

Hoping we can qualify for the $500 State Smog Aid Package.
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC
Car#: 0

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Mako Koiwai wrote:In truth, I think the CATS might be toast ... 98K ... obd reader is now saying poor CAT efficiency. Before it told us to change out the Spark Pack ... which I did.
Some of the '99s had bad coil packs from the factory. It could be that they were bad and killed your cats in the process. Sounds like you have fixed half the problem.

As for it not having enough "history" to pass, I've never heard of that one. Mark W, know anything about that?

Pat.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I've been to the smog tester twice. The 2nd time after driving out to CA Spdway, racing all weekend and then driving home, over 100 miles driving ... but I think when Shauna ran the obd before we left on Sunday afternoon it perhaps cleared the "memory" again. When I took it in on Monday, I was told that there are no check engine lights (cleared by Shauna) but that it didn't have enough history stored up to pass. It only had enough history in two of five categories ?! He said go out and drive it some more, 25 to 50 miles. But now the check engine light is back on ... low CAT efficiency. We tried those eBay specials as suggested by her mechanic ... but the check engine light came back on. :? We were hoping that the new Spark Pack would help ... but perhaps only with new CATS.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

It's probably the pre-cat... all the more reason to convert to 49 state.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

$600 in parts for the two new CATS thru MazdaSport ... that's the drag ... to get it thru smog it looks like we have to change the CATS ... and then lose the first CAT to go 49 State. I'll change the 2nd CAT first, to see if that gets us thru SMOG first.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Mako Koiwai wrote:$600 in parts for the two new CATS thru MazdaSport ... that's the drag ... to get it thru smog it looks like we have to change the CATS ... and then lose the first CAT to go 49 State. I'll change the 2nd CAT first, to see if that gets us thru SMOG first.
Don't just go buying catalytic converters...What is the code (my guess is P0421)? It's probably the pre-cat NOT the secondary cat.
My mom got an OEM replacement pre-cat that was much cheaper than the dealer, but she had to have it shipped to her place in NM because they won't ship to CA. It worked for a while, but she did not want to change out the coil pack, so it quickly died. Now she has a new coil pack and a new OEM cat all is good.

Edit: Sorry Jayson, we totally hijacked your thread. I don't have an answer for the ABS question. :oops:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jayson ... yeah ... sorry ... you can just get it smog'ed and if there is a problem, no big deal. You get it rectified and then go back. Make sure you pick a place that allows you to come back until you pass without having to pay again ... which seems to be most places.
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

Jayson -
Mark is correct. The ABS light is a brake only thing and shouldn't have anything to do with passing smog. If you reset the engine and/or the main computer, drive it for a hundred miles or so before having the smog check done. See below

Mako - I had the same challenge with the Suburban. I disconnected the battery to install new dis. cap and rotor. The guy charged me $80.00 to tell me the history in the ECM wasn't enough to pass. I did check and he was right about the history on a OBDII car. We did exchange a few words regarding the $ and a few other things,and he hasn't seen me since, or will he again.
Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright »

The statement of 'not enough history to pass' is the same as not enough monitors are set. OBD 2 systems are very sensitive when it comes to turning the check engine light on. It is all about preserving those Cat Converter[s]!
Jayson Woodruff

Sebastian Rios wrote:Edit: Sorry Jayson, we totally hijacked your thread. I don't have an answer for the ABS question. :oops:
No worries, I passed today with the ABS light.

Jay W