New Cars to be stored at El Toro

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

New Cars to be stored at El Toro

Post by Steve Towers »

For those of you that don't get the Orange County Register, on Dec 16th and Dec 20th there were articles that spoke about car dealers leasing "up to" 100 acres of the El Toro runways for overflow storage. Is that enough acreage to impact Solo events?

According to today's article the usage plan comes up for city council approval on Jan 13th. 4 of the 5 Irvine city council members are also directors for the "Great Park" so I'm guessing that it will be approved. Supposedly with bring in $250,000 revenue.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: New Cars to be stored at El Toro

Post by Robert Puertas »

I don't see how it could impact AMCI's existing lease, which would leave us safe.
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

mmmm, i see a new street tire class called "Borrowed" for all those El Torro events }:)
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Yeah, they got any Bimmers in that storage? I'd love to "test drive" a 135i.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

100 acres are a lot of real-estate. One runway is about 35 acres. The lot we used to run on at El Toro (NE side) is probably less than 30 acres.

Another way of looking at it, you could probably store at least 30,000 cars (packed in) in 100 acres.
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Another way of looking at it, you could probably store at least 30,000 cars (packed in) in 100 acres.

Per the article, the estimate is for 100-150 cars per acre.
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Steve Towers wrote:Another way of looking at it, you could probably store at least 30,000 cars (packed in) in 100 acres.

Per the article, the estimate is for 100-150 cars per acre.
They obviously aren't planning onpacking/parking cars the way that automakers do in ports. (follow the URL, zoom NE corner).
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

man they must have a lot of cars to store. I hear they're also storing cars near the Long Beach airport.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

David Avard wrote:100 acres are a lot of real-estate. One runway is about 35 acres. The lot we used to run on at El Toro (NE side) is probably less than 30 acres.

The two longer runways look to be about 50 acres each without the extensions, 10,090 x 235 feet. Those cut right through where we've held the Pro and Divisionals.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

The fact that you can STILL walk into a car lot and have a good choice of 08 models says it all.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Visited a Suby dealership a couple of days ago. There was an air of desperation. Lot's of '08's. Interesting how the new STI isn't selling ... and the ones that are, only in conservative colors. At the beginning of the year the dealership was "awarded" two WRC Blue STI's ... they never sold. The dealer sent them back to SOA in exchange for other colors. They've order NO new '09 STI's supposedly!? The new '09 WRX is however pretty darn nice. So much more low end torque compared to my '03 WRX.