Cancelled event (Sunday)

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Jan 10-11 Event Canceled

Post by KJ Christopher »

Daniel Tenenbaum wrote:Sad to see this Entire weekend canceled, there is a good chance that the wind may die down by Sunday, or so says the internet weather site.

So why is the Champ day canceled along with the Practice day?
Bob Plante wrote:As was posted in the original cancel thread, I am not sure what the reasoning is for cancelling both days of an event when one day is bad & the following day is nice. Maybe some logistics thing that I am out of the loop on.
Good questions that I certainly don't mind addressing. The forecasts we were seeing (after checking numerous sources) weren't showing improvements over the weekend. Sunday was shown as better than Saturday and same as Friday, which we've already described in great detail. (Indeed, Stacey and I stayed in the area for the weekend since we had pricelined the hotel rooms. I was at the speedway twice in the afternoon dealing with the RV - it wouldn't have worked out. As for today, I didn't go out there. The winds were bad enough at the Hilton that the creaking woke me up at 4am. I also know that the pass is usually worse and it afternoons tend to be worse than the mornings.)

But back to your questions. The event was canceled primarily due to safety considerations. And happily, I don't see any body complaining about that. With regard to the timing of call - two things come into play. First, the convenience to our members. We would rather give them time to enjoy the weekend that all signs pointed towards being crappy/unsafe for racing. It was completely within our authority to wait until the morning of to make the decision. But we didn't feel it is the right thing to do given what was known at the time.

Second is economics. If we decide to run a car, the track rental was just earned by the speedway. If we wait till Sunday to decide on the championship, the speedway just earned the rental. (We may be able to get some back as a credit, but it is truly a 'hat in our hands' type of situation.) So, a decision to go forward Friday night was essentially a SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLAR bet against every weather source available to us. Yes, some people would have shown up, covering some of the costs. But the turnout would have been lower. And with Saturday a complete wash, even if everybody had shown up on Sunday it wouldn't have covered the costs. Keep in mind that $10 of your entry covers sanction costs, so it takes a lot of entries to cover track rental (MAJOR expense) and porta-potties.

So, not only was the decision made on Friday based on what we believed to be right to the members. It was also fiscally responsible. And thanks for asking. I'm sure others quietly wondered the same thing. And while I won't get into specifics on a public forum, I'm happy to educate the membership on the true economics of running these events. It is important to understand that while we are blessed with weather that gives us a a year-round season, being able to pull these events off without losing money isn't exactly a stress-free task.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Cancelled event (Sunday)

Post by KJ Christopher »

Images from Saturday.

Driving in:

All metal gates on their sides. One kart wall blown on top of the other:

We decided to leave these cones (Jayson - you don't want these, even for RallyCross):

First time on R compounds. We really wanted to run.

This one didn't look too dirty inside. Still, nobody there had to go THAT bad:

Normal clutter in the fence:

The shrapnel that was pelting us on Friday and Saturday:

Yeah, I'm not going to bother asking for a refund:

All three porta-potties and every trashcan but the one wedged under the RV and one other we wedged under the armco were all right here. There were two in the drainage tubes at the end.

kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Bob Plante wrote:AAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Suppose I should have known enough to check for a cancellation, but since the forecast was for improvement I did not bother.

Running in the afternoon so I got there about 9:45, cannot speak for what the conditions were at 6 or 7 am, but it was fine at 9:45. Some gusting @ maybe 20 - 30 mph but dying out. Mostly sunny. Would have been a nice event.

As was posted in the original cancel thread, I am not sure what the reasoning is for cancelling both days of an event when one day is bad & the following day is nice. Maybe some logistics thing that I am out of the loop on.

Anyway, I have no problem with the cancellation, sure wish we had a phone tree or similar to notify the registered people.

I talked to a guy in a MINI & he was calling his co driver to save the trip, so I figure there were a few (or a bunch) of us who made the trip for nothing.

No response expected or nesessary.

Rant off.

See ya next time.

BTW posting time is off on the forum, I posted @ 11:53 says 12:53
http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted on the SD board Friday night.
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Thanks kj,

That was some big deal on Sat.

Makes sense. Especially the safety and the economics of the call. We don't "make enough money" on events to be wasting any.

My bad, I did not even touch my computer on Sat. ck email or anything, I DID get the auto notice from that registration web site. Need to get some fancy cell that'll get the email.

Will check preferences on that time thing, Steve.

GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I told KJ on Friday there was no such thing as 100% right or wrong decisions of this nature. You just weigh your options and try to make the best decision for the long run health of the membership. I can just about guarantee you we would have lost a ton of Money with a Sunday only, many scared off event. And right now we're too on the edge to lose big. I think making a decision Friday night like this is better for our long term attendance than telling people to show up and then canceling on Sunday morning.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Bob Plante wrote:GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
Ah....Pittsburgh just freed up a weekend for the SD region!!! :lol:

Go Willie Parker go! :)
John Prosser

Post by John Prosser »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Did everyone who pre-register "automatically" get an email notification ... like I did?

Another reason to use the system and pre-register ?
I pre registered but did not receive a notice. may be I need to check a box or??
JP
John Prosser

Post by John Prosser »

John Prosser wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Did everyone who pre-register "automatically" get an email notification ... like I did?

Another reason to use the system and pre-register ?
I pre registered but did not receive a notice. may be I need to check a box or??
JP
Found the prob.
Apparently it sends only to e-mail #1 not #2.
I just switched the priorities and should be okay now.
Wish I would have thought of this sooner.
I know that this was a tough call to make.
I was probably as inconvenienced as anybody or more so (140 mi. round trip).
Also had a non refundable priceline hotel.
Having said all this, we have to trust and back up those who are stuck with making these difficult decisions.
Thanks guys.
JP