Cancelled event (Sunday)

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Jan 10-11 Event Canceled

Post by KJ Christopher »

Yes, it is that bad. We're sitting (rocking is more like it) in the RV, watching really big things go flying over us. And yes, it literally did suck the snot out of my nose. (Mike insists that this tidbit is included.) Seriously, the cones are out but we couldn't set them up due to the large pebbles flying through the air. And sand. And parts of the kart track's wall. The forecasts all are pointing towards worse conditions on Saturday and similar conditions on Sunday. In our opinion, it would be unsafe for the workers, who would be more concerned with keeping the silt out of their eyes than watching the cars. And you can imagine the issues with the timing lights. So, with heavy hearts and an interest in giving everybody time to figure out something else to do with the weekend, we are going to call it right now.

And yes, I misspelled 'canceled' in the email. I'm blaming the sand in my eyes....

Latest update - we just got pummeled by a rolling trashcan.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rachel Nichols
Club: TCC
Car#: 969

Re: Jan 10-11 Event Canceled

Post by Rachel Nichols »

Well... now I don't feel so bad about having to work this weekend. Sorry to everyone who was still planning on going!
Katy Nicholls
Club: CASOC
Car#: 235

Post by Katy Nicholls »

Huge bummer, but safety is important!

Thanks for the willingness to get pelted by pebbles and trash cans in attempts to pull it through.

I guess no one has an excuse not to watch the Chargers on Sunday now! :mrgreen:

If they win, we will be looking at another long weekend with no driving to satiate the addiction! :cry:

Street Legal Event tonight at Qualcomm. Maybe I will go practice my launches for the upcoming Pro. :ibrightdea:
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Thanks guys for making the early decision rather than waiting until Saturday night or Sunday morning. Gives us a much better chance of getting the word out to everyone. :thumbup:
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Thank you for the advanced warning!

I know that those of you sitting out in Fontana right now are some of the most die hard racers of our region (something about setting up course on friday to guarentee that it will be perfect) it must have taken a major force of nature to cause this decision (literally)

Having lived in the Inland Empire for many years, this one sounds like a pretty major set of Santa Ana wind conditions. Winds 25 to 40 mph, is some serious stuff. Blown over cones, small children, big rigs...
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Christine Berry wrote:Thank you for the advanced warning!

I know that those of you sitting out in Fontana right now are some of the most die hard racers of our region (something about setting up course on friday to guarentee that it will be perfect) it must have taken a major force of nature to cause this decision (literally)

Having lived in the Inland Empire for many years, this one sounds like a pretty major set of Santa Ana wind conditions. Winds 25 to 40 mph, is some serious stuff. Blown over cones, small children, big rigs...
having been at buttonwillow during high wind, where it picked up 2 easy-up (with weights attached), flung them end over end, crash into cars / motorcycles, and the weight smashing into a truck's windshield -----

i think it's a wise decision to cancel the event in light of the high wind.
Lisa Berry
Car#: 171

Post by Lisa Berry »

Do we have any idea when it might get postponed to? Driving 144 miles isn't the easiest thing to arrange when you don't have a car (I use Heather's when I need to)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Last time we went through this people lost things like prescription glasses being ripped off their faces. And the Rios truck door was a casualty. I needed help to get into the civie to drive home as I couldn't keep the door from trying to crush me as I climbed in. Pain.

The trash cans literally can be both damaging and dangerous. 55 gallon steel drums that take off rolling at 25mph, but sometimes they catch and tumble. We watch a couple go end over end and take flight for a while. Can you imagine what damage that would do to a car? To a person?

There is a kart practice this weekend at CalSpeed. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I think KJ and crew made the right call.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Lisa Berry wrote:Do we have any idea when it might get postponed to? Driving 144 miles isn't the easiest thing to arrange when you don't have a car (I use Heather's when I need to)
We currently have 13 event scheduled for this year, after this 12. So we are not exactly short on events. Although there are no events currently scheduled for November, so it would be easy to make it up then if we could schdule a site.
:D Long answer short, at least a month in advance, if we have a make-up event at all :D
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Renee Angel
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

As the Safety Steward at last year's event, I cancelled the event due to high winds. Gayle's glasses were ripped off her face, porta potties were jammed between motorhome & trailer, as well as travelling across the course. I felt it was a definite safety hazard to everyone.

Kudos to Mike & KJ for making this decision early.

I also have lived in this area for almost 30 years and am kind of used to the Santa Ana's, however, they can be deadly.

Renee
Yuki Haneda
Car#: 933

Post by Yuki Haneda »

ALL Checks will be shred for the practice event...

wah what a way to start the 2009 season... o well thats what we get for living in so cal... random earthquakes, fires, and wind boooooooo
-Yuki-
Photo by MAKO: NO$ event '08!
Steve Glusman
Car#: 424

Post by Steve Glusman »

HELP ME HELP ME
wife is in Florida and now I'm stranded with my two teenagers for the weekend....
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Steve G
Katy Nicholls
Car#: 235

Post by Katy Nicholls »

Anyone going to Vegas instead!? Road Trip? :mrgreen:

http://lvrscca.org/?page_id=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevermind! Barred again! 2008 schedule is still up! :|
Kathy Teulie
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

Thanks for letting us know early! It sure beats driving out there through flying tree limbs only to be sent back home.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

The high winds are just starting to hit our house now. I had to sand bag the gate closed. I am glad the event was canceled. I support the early call. I was not that motivated to endure the high winds and sand in my eyes. Kathy and I will be happy to save the money too. Thanks Mike and KJ for going out early and attempting to set up. Please don't get hurt when Dorothy's house falls on you and watch out for flying cows.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Renee Angel
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

It's 8:00 p.m. in Ontario and we've got hurricane type winds starting up - great call guys!
Darren Cole
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 765

Post by Darren Cole »

Damn Priceline! No refunds! Anyone want to stay at the Marriott Ontario Airport? I think you would need a fake ID with my name on it. }:)
Thanks for being out there and making the early call. Last time we had this weather it sandblasted the paint and windows.
Daniel Tenenbaum
Car#: 410

Post by Daniel Tenenbaum »

Sad to see this Entire weekend canceled, there is a good chance that the wind may die down by Sunday, or so says the internet weather site.

So why is the Champ day canceled along with the Practice day?
Wouldn't it make more sense to cancel the Practice day then wait to see what the changing weather does before canceling Sunday's Champ day.

Mostly just disapointed that I would be able to run this weekend. :(
Keep up the good work, safety first is never a bad idea. :)
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Still plenty of room at the Jan 24-25 practices for all you left high and dry on seat time.

I guess this means I can procrastinate a little longer getting all those numbers done too :-)

Jay W
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Great early call. Much appreciated. I'm about 50 freeway miles southwest of Fontucky and the wind is blowing pretty hard here. Must be really bad there.
Chad Stubblefield
Car#: 877

Post by Chad Stubblefield »

thanks KJ :cry:
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

FYI for everyone. In ORM, I've taking the Jan 11th event and made it the Feb 1st event. I did this to help ease some of the administrative burden of dealing with the credits when most of you will be there in a few weeks too. Essentially, if you registered for the Jan 11th event, you are now registered for the Feb 1st event. If you aren't planning to be there, you can un-register. Keep in mind that all the normal flyer details aren't set yet.
Last edited by KJ Christopher on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Anyone want to run at Streets of Willow Springs tomorrow, there are lots of slots avaialable and if you just show up at 7 am you can get in and do a track day.

Speed Ventures web site for tech forms and on line sign up if you want to go.

See you all next event.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Towers wrote:Great early call. Much appreciated. I'm about 50 freeway miles southwest of Fontucky and the wind is blowing pretty hard here. Must be really bad there.
I knew we were in trouble when I started seeing the kart barriers next door blowing around like flags. One of them broke away from the rest and blew into an armco at around 30-35 MPH. Bad news.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kathy Teulie
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

On the calendar, please indicate it is cancelled. This is in case someone doesn't see this message thread and just looks at the calendar entry.