The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Davis Eng
Club: PSCC
Car#: 319

Re: Newbie says Hi! and has a question, uh oh!

Post by Davis Eng »

Geez, I wish I was in the Ekstrand family. :lol:

Hey Jeff! Yeah I did see your thread awhile ago on SoCal OC. My board name is "Davis" on both boards. Yeah I'm not going to be able to change the springs anyways. Became a bit to lazy haha. I was thinking of getting the TuRD sway bar, your thoughts? I can get them for a lower price than the dealers. I'm going to be there on January 11, see ya there! :D
Futurama is brought to you by: Thompson's Teeth - The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth!
Mark Phelps

New to forums and autocross

Post by Mark Phelps »

Hello all --

My name is Matthew (Mark is my legal name--my friends know me as Matthew), and I'm new to the whole deal. I was introduced to autocross by a very close friend who is much more knowledgeable about cars and racing, but I'm hoping to learn.

I'm 31, live in San Clemente, and work on Camp Pendleton. I'm a logistics officer (first lieutenant) in the Marine Corps and have been on active duty for 6 years, including a 10-month deployment to Iraq last year. When I'm not working, I enjoy staying fit through exercise and adventure, and have been learning to be a better driver and motorcyclist.

I drive a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 that I bought after returning from deployment in April. The only modification so far has been to throw on Mazdaspeed coil-overs. My next purchase will probably just be tires because it's a great car and I want to get better at it before I start changing too much. My bike is a 2008 Suzuki SV650S.

I went to my first event at the Auto Club Speedway a few months ago. I felt a little out of place in my 3 with all the Corvettes and Miatas, but I really had a blast and can't wait to get to more in the coming year.

Please drop me a line--advice and comments are always welcome.

Matthew.
Bob Beamesderfer

Re: New to forums and autocross

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Matthew,

You're lucky enough to live about equidistant from two SCCA regions with very active Solo programs. You might want to introduce yourself over on http://www.sdsolo.com

The most important thing to do starting out is to get as much seat time as you can, get instruction from the hot shoe drivers and to have fun!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Welcome to the sport, Matthew! Bob is right on this one, you're in a great spot to get your fill of autocross between SD and LA. And don't feel out of place - if there is room for a meyer's manx, there is plenty of room for you. We actually do get a lot of FWD hatchbacks. Just come out and have fun. If you're at the January event, please introduce yourself to me. I'm the Event Master, so I'll be there all day. Also, make sure you find Leondard Cachola. He's our Novice Coordinator and is quite good at explaining the ins/outs of the deal. Another thing, if you didn't get into the practice, you can still show up with your helmet and ask for rides. Most people are okay with giving rides and it gives you some perspective on different driving styles and the differing results.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

You have a good car!!!
Hint.....When building a solo car it is best to do your class rules homework first before you spend money on modifications.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Mark Phelps

Post by Mark Phelps »

Doug --

Good tip. My friend thinks I may have mod-ed myself out of a class by going to coil-overs, but I'm not sure, so I suppose that's my next question.

Matthew.
Mark Phelps

Post by Mark Phelps »

KJ and Bob --

We signed up for memberships after the event we went to up in Fontana, but I hadn't thought about San Diego. I'll check them out, too.

We'll probably come to the January event, so I'll definitely look for you. I met Leonard at the last event and got some great tips from him. I probably learned as much riding with other folks as driving myself (thought I admit most of the thrill is making my own way through the cones). But I learned quickly that just stepping on the gas isn't always the answer.

Matthew.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Yes, putting on the coilovers moved you out of Stock class and into Street Prepared. For stock, you have to keep the stock springs, but you can change the shocks (up to dual adjustable). If you're just out to have fun, it really won't be an issue.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Mark Phelps wrote: We'll probably come to the January event, so I'll definitely look for you. I met Leonard at the last event and got some great tips from him. I probably learned as much riding with other folks as driving myself (thought I admit most of the thrill is making my own way through the cones). But I learned quickly that just stepping on the gas isn't always the answer.
Yes, ride-alongs are a great way to learn, but it's best to supplement it with LOTS of seat time and instruction/coaching! I spent much of my first year doing ride-alongs at practices, but I didn't really start improving until I started driving both practices and championships. I drove full seasons in both San Diego and CalClub last year - in CalClub, I would do the practice and the champ (plus fun runs if they had them) while in San Diego I would do champ runs, followed by X-runs, and fun runs when they had them. I think I totaled well over 250 runs last year.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

With the MazdaSpeed 3 and non-stock springs you have a few classes to choose from:

Street Tires:
  • STX (I think) Max engine size for FI engines is 2.0 liters. If your motor is larger then you're in STU. This runs on street tires, max 265 for FWD/RWD, 245 for AWD. Rim limit is 9" for FWD/RWD, 8" for AWD. Boost is not allowed.
  • SST - a new local class that operates under the STU rules. All cars, including AWD, may run unlimited width wheels. AWD still retains the 245 max tire size; FWD and RWD are allowed 285s. Boost is not allowed.
  • CST - another new local class, essentially our local CSM class (California Street Modified) but limited to 140+ treadwear street tires. This will be a very competitive and fast class. Boost is allowed. Encouraged even. :D
R-compound Tires (The Crack Cocaine of autocross):
  • SP, like Leonard mentioned. I'm not sure which Street Prepared class the MazdaSpeed 3 is in, but SP can be a pretty heavily modified category. In addition to R compounds, most competitors will have race seats, aftermarket bushings, custom exhausts, light weight flywheels, aftermarket ECUs or custom programming, turbo cars will generally be boosted, etc. The allowances are quite extensive.
  • Local class CSM. This is our "run what ya brung" class. It's supposed to be licensable for hte street. Somewhere... on the planet.
I'd think ST will be the best place for you. Ask any questions you may have and check out SCCAForums.com as well. I'm on the STAC - the Street Touring Advisory Committee - for the SCCA, so if you have any ST-specific questions, feel free to ask here or in person at the events. I drive the white '95 M3 with the wing, though it may not be at the event on the 10th and 11th. I'll still be there even if the car isn't, probably driving my co-driver's green M3 sedan.

If you have any SP-specific questions our own Eric Clements is on the SPAC.

Mike
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Mike Simanyi wrote:With the MazdaSpeed 3 and non-stock springs you have a few classes to choose from:
Street Tires:
  • STX (I think) Max engine size for FI engines is 2.0 liters. If your motor is larger then you're in STU...
    Mike
think it's a 2.3, STU baby

and since NO ONE else bothered running STU with me last month, i welcome the addition :thumbup:

although with the new Novice Challenge, i would recommend that. still STU, just STU NOV

EDIT: to clarify, MODIFIED boost is not allowed, Speed 3's get factory boost :mrgreen:
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

San Diego has a practice on 1/18. The flyer is at http://www.sdr-scca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might get in if you are quick to pre register or just show up & get some rides. You will need a San Diego number to drive, they MAY be available at the practice.

I'm Bob , San Diego #47 (Z06).

Check it out.

Thanks for serving.

:)
Johnson Mac
Club: CASOC
Car#: 444

Newbie here!!

Post by Johnson Mac »

Hi guys, after doing a few auto-x's, I decided it was too much fun and got the yearly membership. Might as well right? Gotta take advantage of the years I have left before turning 24 :)

Anywho, I have to thank Casey Brier and Jesse Rooker among others for introducing me to this sport, glad to meet you all!

Here's a pic of my work in progress:

I look forward to improving my skills with you all!
Tom Phillips
Car#: 185

Re: Newbie here!!

Post by Tom Phillips »

Johnson -

Welcome to the addiction!

If you haven't noticed them yet, take advantage of the Newbie info at the top of the front page at solo2.com
There is a wealth of info there.
And we can only assume that Casey and Jesse informed you about SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME, looking ahead, being smooth and MORE SEAT TIME.

CSCC is a bunch of really awesome folks that will give you all the help you can ask for. Take advantage of their generosity as often as you can.

Tom Phillips
No$ Rep
SSS
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Re: Newbie here!!

Post by Casey Brier »

Thanks for the shot-out Johnson. :thumbup:

see you at the next race!
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Alberto Castaneda
Car#: 700

Finally signed up!

Post by Alberto Castaneda »

Hey everyone I finally signed up for my first points card, I will be attending the event on January 24th at the auto club speedway.

My name is Alberto aka AWDalbert, on different boards such as NASIOC.com and Rs25.com

I drive a 2000 Subaru 2.5rs lightly modded suspension and some small bolt ons in the motor department, I'm a self mechanic so hopefully my car doesn't fall apart on my first time around the cones.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and being a part of the auto x scene for a while.
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Re: Finally signed up!

Post by Max Hayter »

Welcome Alberto - list out all your mods so we can class you correctly. A few "bolt-ons" can make a big difference.

You'll find a lot if NASIOC'ers here:)
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

welcome!!! :)
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Welcome Alberto! The event on the 24th/25th will be a great way to introduce yourself to this crazy sport.

The weekend after will be one of our normal Practice / Championship events. If you can't get into the practice, come out anyway. Bring a helmet and don't be shy about asking for rides. Don't just shoot for rides in the fastest cars; you'll learn just as much - and probably more - in the slightly slower, well driven cars that will be there. Plus you'll meet a lot of great people.

I encourage you *strongly* to participate in the Championship. It's a different mood; not intimidating, but focused. You'll learn how to work the course properly and you can buy a second set of runs - X runs - without having to work a second session. You'll need numbers and class letters on your car but we provide paper versions that you can mount with tape.

Be sure to ask for an instructor at the Championship. Pay close attention to their lines and corner-entry speeds. Most everyone drives the wrong line - myself included - but novices tend to benefit most from improving their line, then from reducing their corner entry speeds. (Most really overcook the entry. They drive fast in the slow parts and slow in the fast parts.)

If you're running first, be sure to coordinate this well in advance of the run group. You'll have to run late in the session to allow an eligible instructor to run before you. Instructors may only hop in a student car *after* their own runs.

Again, I'm glad you're joining us!

Mike

PS Be sure to sign up for the Novice group at the Championship. We're starting a new Novice Challenge that you qualify for if you haven't participated in more than three autocross events in the past five years (if I recall correctly.) You'll run in your normal base class, with the Novice identifier.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Welcome Alberto!

RS's are very cool. Marco Vazquez from San Diego region is very competitive in one prepped to ST rules.
If your mods don't exceed our ST ruleset that is probably the single best spot for an RS to run in our sport.
I run a 91 civic si in ST (formerly called STS).
ST allows air intake changes, plugs and plug wires, smaller battery, header (must retain OE style cat in stock location), motor mount changes, any computer tuning within the stock case. Thats the basics of the engine changes, also some dress up stuff is allowed. Lots of suspensions changes allowed. Max 7.5" wide wheel. Max 225 tire with 140 treadwear or higher.

The practice on the 24/25 will be on a smaller interior lot. The course will be shorter and tighter than what we normally run. However, the plus for you is that it will be no doubt be a lot easier to find and follow. The sea of cones is a tough experience for a newbie. It takes a few events to learn to read a course and your mind begins to focus in on just the relevant stuff. The advantage to that weekend is lots and lots of runs are likely and probably good opportunities to ride along with others and learn and to get instruction.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

ok thank you for he info.

I plan on participation on as many events as my wallet will permit me. I'm really excited to learn more about my car and put my modifications done my car to use in a safe environment. I have never done a track day and was told auto x was the way to go as far as learning about your car.

will definately ask for ride alongs,

suspension mods
-BC Racing coilovers 8k/6k
-rallitek 22mm front sway bar
-whiteline 20-24mm adj rear sway bar
-touge tuning endlinks F/R
-super pro steering rack bushings
-cuzco front strut bar
-cuzco rear strut bar

engine mods (EJ25 - NA motor sohc)

gonzflow intake W/stock air box
Medievel LW pulley
subisport uk exhaust 60mm /2.45 inch catback
tires
225/50/r16
Falken 452

oem size is 205/55/r16

I am currently trying to find a helmet, looking for an SA certified helmet, hopefully i can find one locally for a good price, does cscc preffer close faced or open?

I'm located 92324 colton california, know of any shops that might carry them ?
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

It potentially sounds like you're in an ST class, if those steering rack bushings mount in the stock manner and don't change the location of the steering rack.

SA helmets are not required, nor is a closed face helmet. Track use may require both of those features but most people use open face helmets for autox. I strongly prefer them myself due to the reduced impairment and lighter weight.

You can buy amazingly inexpensive Snell-rated open face helmets. Even without a sale, you shouldn't have to spend over $100 to meet our requirements, and I think one of our locals bought something new, on sale from the Bell store for under $40.

I believe there is a Sticky thread set up in this forum detailing some options.

Mike
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I know about those steering rack bushings, Definitely A-OK.

Welcome!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Cool! Welcome to Street Touring then!

Be sure to ask our advice about future mods, tires etc. The biggest component to work on though is the nut behind the wheel.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

an open faced helmet for $40 would be great !

i need it by the 24th so ive started searching already. :computer:

is it common for someone to get lost around the cones?

thanks.