The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Alberto Castaneda
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 700

Re: Finally signed up!

Post by Alberto Castaneda »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Cool! Welcome to Street Touring then!

Be sure to ask our advice about future mods, tires etc. The biggest component to work on though is the nut behind the wheel.
exactly i have put money into suspension now its time for me to learn
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:is it common for someone to get lost around the cones?
Very common with newbies - especially without an instructor and not having done a guided walk of the course. Be sure to attend the novice course walk on champ days or find someone experienced to walk with and DEFINITELY have an instructor along until you are comfortable with finding the course on your own!
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Be sure you get there in time to walk the course in advance and try to imagine what the course is going to look like as you fly into elements from the drivers seat.

When driving try to keep looking ahead, if you drive element to element with your eyes right over the hood, not only will you be slow but you're more likely to get lost. Looking further ahead allows your brain to process the elements and help you negotiate the course without as much conscious panic reaction and confusion.

Occasionally I'll be in a situation now where I can't walk course, and really focusing on looking ahead can sometimes lead to a very good result. Still better to take advantage of the walks. Especially helpful are guided course walks as Leonard mentioned.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

so get there early and walk it, got it

another question, i signed up for a points card will i ever see it, or is it an online thing, how do they log points? how will they know its me
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:so get there early and walk it, got it

another question, i signed up for a points card will i ever see it, or is it an online thing, how do they log points? how will they know its me
Walk as many times as you can; easier in the morning than at the lunch break.

Gio Jaramillo can answer how you'll get your points card.

Points are calculated by the timing software and you're identified by your number.

Best thing to do when you first buy a helmet is try it on in person. Sizing varies from brand to brand and some helmets fit different shaped heads better.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

As far as I can tell, the points card is a virtual type thing...I've never "received" one.

As a noob, I'd recommend walking the course at least 2-3 times. I've been doing this about 8-9 mos now, and my regular routine is to walk the course myself as soon as it opens, then try to find someone to walk with who's been doing this a while, so you can get their input and comments and compare it to what you saw when you walked it. If nothing else, I haven't gotten lost in a while ;)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Alberto Castaneda

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Alberto Castaneda wrote:
Best thing to do when you first buy a helmet is try it on in person. Sizing varies from brand to brand and some helmets fit different shaped heads better.
still looking for a place that carries them locally
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Alberto Castaneda wrote:
I bet Chapparel is close by and has some Snell helmets.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Alberto Castaneda

Sebastian Rios wrote: I bet Chapparel is close by and has some Snell helmets.
they are up the street, ill be right back
Duane Tomono

Re: New to forums and autocross

Post by Duane Tomono »

hello first event i will attend at fontana will be in feb. i am trying to figure which class my car belongs in the car is a 1993 toyota mr2 turbo has a stock engine the changes on the car are hks exhaust, coilovers. drilled rotors, that is it please give me a idea which class the car belongs in thanks Janet Fujimoto
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Re: New to forums and autocross

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Our new local class SST might be a good fit for that turbo MR2. Basically STU rules for 2 seater sports cars.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Alberto Castaneda wrote:
I'm not sure where local is to you, but at least one place in long beach is mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Alberto Castaneda

I'm in the inland empire about 10 minutes from the auto club speedway in Fontana.

didn't have a chance to get out today so im going to look in the morning before my classes.

some more questions

is my SCCA Member Number , the number I chose
what would my SCCA Region be
and why do i need to enter my Driver's License Number
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

is my SCCA Member Number , the number I chose
what would my SCCA Region be
and why do i need to enter my Driver's License Number
Okay, here's where it gets a little complicated. You can be a member of CalClub (that's our region name) without being a member of SCCA, (though last year we changed it so to participate, you have to have at least a weekend membership for $15). You can also be a member of the SCCA without being a member of CalClub.

The CalClub membership (which we call a points card) allows you to choose a permanent number from the available pool and compete for an annual points title in your chosen class. The SCCA membership is worth getting if you're going to come to more than three or so events in a year, as it only costs $60 plus $25 on top of that for the Cal Club region (which has nothing to do with the points card $$$). If you come to an event and get a weekend membership, you can turn that around and get $15 off your SCCA membership, plus another $15 off for a referral from our resident SCCA membership diva, Gayle Jardine.

The license part is easy: you have to be a licensed driver to drive a car in one of our events. Those too young for a license can drive karts.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

For the SCCA membership, if you're under 24, you can get a discounted First Gear Membership.
If you use a referral you save $15.
You're welcome to use mine, Steven Ekstrand #290730.
I signed my little brother up that way and it was only $30 I think.
If you use the website to join--- scca.com It will select CALCLUB region 019 for you automatically off of your address.
I supposedly get a discount too, though I'm never actually figured out how to get it.

Then to run for points and get a car number for competition you join our local group for $20 a year. Select a club (CASOC is best) and pick a number. The solo2.com website has a number available list.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

Registered on solo2 already for a points card my number is 187

I'm 21 years old but didn't see any discounts on the page

thanks for all the help
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The discounts are for the SCCA membership at scca.com

Go to their site, find the JOIN NOW! button and select First Gear membership.

Or try this link
https://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/Dyna ... EDD9D376E3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You want a "CREW LICENSE" its free and gives you additional insurance. And please select SOLO as your primary interest.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

I have to join again? now Im confused :?

I joined using solo2.com from a link on nasioc.com

so there are different memberships that do the same thing ?
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:I have to join again? now Im confused :?

I joined using solo2.com from a link on nasioc.com

so there are different memberships that do the same thing ?
You HAVE to be an SCCA member to run, that's an insurance thing. You can either pay 15 bucks per event or get an annual membership. You don't have to have a CalClub Points Card (Which is what you got), you get a fixed car number for having a cal club points card and you get to accrue annual points. You probably want to read the "General New to the Sport FAQ" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Don't feel bad...it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on with this stuff too.
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

CSCC is the local region.... US

SCCA is the national sanctioning body you have to join. Luckily you're 21 so its relatively cheap to join SCCA.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:Registered on solo2 already for a points card my number is 187

I'm 21 years old but didn't see any discounts on the page

thanks for all the help
Alberto, this is Giovanni, the Membership Chairman. I received your PayPal payment online via e-mail but you did not answer the most important questions:
  • Club (you left it blank)
  • Points Card Number (#187 is "current" and in use by another member; please pick one that is "available and unassigned")
I sent you 2 e-mails immediately, and did not get a response so in our system you are unassigned. Please check your e-mails for a reply from me, or reply to me in this thread or PM me offline with the necessary info so that I can assign you a club and number. Most newbies choose the default club for starters (No$ - No Buck$) or you can choose another like Steve's club (CASOC). Either way, let me know immediately.

As for the actual points card I don't send them out anymore because it's not required at registration. They'll have list of those people that pre-register online for championship events. Being on the list verifies you (along with a valid U.S. driver's license), and an SCCA membership (full or temporary). I suggest you go "full" as the cost in the long run is cheaper. Like others have said, read all the "FAQ"s (Membership, General).

Thanks,
Gio
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alberto Castaneda

sighning up now with scca

and will send you a PM
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Team Blew has a lot of NASIOC members and Subie guys. Might be a good fit, though they are quite gay... :shock: :lol: }:) }:) }:) }:) }:) 8-)

PSCC and CASOC have clearly the best drivers and are good for getting instruction.

GRA is old. I mean really really old. They charge, not into that.

SCNAX has a lot of the sport compact crowd. No$ has everything.

Don't worry too much about clubs, you can always switch later as you learn more.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600