The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Ivan Monso

Newbie questions ?

Post by Ivan Monso »

Hi,

I have been looking at this site and I am hoping to join you for the Sep 14 th event for the first time. I attended (spectator) one of these back in Apr or May with my son and it seemed like alot of fun.

Kinda confused with all the mods and classes so looking for some help like the guy with the Mustang vert.

I have an 86 Mustang GT - Ttops, prev sitting for 15 yrs and we got it running again. Actually attended my 1st track event ever a few weeks ago at willow springs and it was fantastic!! Looking to get some more practice and driving time to actually learn how to drive and learn the car and CA Speedway is much closer to us :-)

So....the car had various mods done to it years ago consisting of...

1. ==

5lug front disc conversion (stock 10" size), 5 lug rear 9" axle/drum
16x8 Ronal R9 wheels, 245/45/16 F, 245/5016 R Sumitomo HTR Z
3.55 gears
Pulled the air silencer
K&N filter
65mm throttle body
underdrive pulleys
still speed density, not changed to MAF
JBA shorty headers (stock cat h-pipe)
2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers (will these meet the 95db sound req's??)
exhaust ends at the mufflers
Koni struts/shocks
rear seats / rear interior is currently out of the car
poly bushings f/r sway bars
sub-frame connectors
strut tower brace
upgraded rear lower control arms
racecraft (saleen) lowering springs

I think that's it. sooooo.... where do I fit in?

I think it has enough changes to have my butt handed to me in one of the non-stock classes :-( but hopefully it will be fun anyway :D

I'm mostly concerned about the flowmasters...how can I get a reading prior to going to the event?

Oh, and what would you suggest setting the tire pressures to? Is there air available at the track?

2. ==

The other question I had was should I get a points card now or wait until after Oct? I think it said they are only good for calendar year...or ...is that the SCCA membership??

I don't have any delusions of taking a trophy so not worried about losing any points or anything like that now but do I need a points card to participate in this event?

3. ==

Can my son drive the same car? Do we both have to register and purchase weekend memberships? Is there a family membership like NASA has?

Can I register online or do we have to wait until the day of the event? Is there a limit on entries?

any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Newbie questions ?

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Welcome Ivan: I'll try to answer some of the questions I can. Others will chime on your classing as i'm not familiar with Mustangs (mostly BMWs) :D
ivan monso wrote:Oh, and what would you suggest setting the tire pressures to? Is there air available at the track?
No. Either fill-up at the nearest gas station or bring an air-pump....or borrow someone's at the event (plenty of people bring air pumps).
ivan monso wrote: 2. ==
The other question I had was should I get a points card now or wait until after Oct? I think it said they are only good for calendar year...or ...is that the SCCA membership??
Wait until after the Sept. not Oct. event. New members get the last 3 months (Oct-Dec) of the current year plus the following year for the price of just one year. $30 for 15 months. Our "regional-only" points cards are good for the calendar year while SCCA membership is yearly from the date you join. We have weekend memberships available. I personally timed it so my SCCA membership ends/renews on Dec. 31st.
ivan monso wrote:I don't have any delusions of taking a trophy so not worried about losing any points or anything like that now but do I need a points card to participate in this event?
As for competing for points, it's too late to mathematically win, as you'd only have 3 events but you'll get the discount and you'll be all set for 2009.
ivan monso wrote: 3. ==
Can my son drive the same car?
Yes he can drive your car. It's "co-driving" but with different numbers. In the case of Sept just register as a visitor and you both will get a pair of numbers in the 600-699 range.
ivan monso wrote:Do we both have to register and purchase weekend memberships?
Yes
ivan monso wrote:Is there a family membership like NASA has?
For points cards? Yes. You pay the $30, family members or roommates at the same address just pay $10.
ivan monso wrote:Can I register online or do we have to wait until the day of the event?
Only for champ events AND only for points card-holders. Visitors or non-points card holders have to register day of event.
ivan monso wrote:Is there a limit on entries?
Only for practices, though for champ events there would have to be an influx of like 300 entries to limit entries on Sundays.

Hope I answered your questions. Please go to the Solo2.com website and read the "Newbie" section documents.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

ivan monso wrote:Hi,
Kinda confused with all the mods and classes so looking for some help like the guy with the Mustang vert.

thanks!!
Street Mod (SM) or the local California Street Mod (CSM).

gutted rear interior, rear axle swap, non stock final drive (assuming it's non stock), and lower control arms(possibly, i'm not very sure about live axle suspension allowances in SP) look to be the things that bump you out of street prepared. The sub frame connectors could be a snag depending on weather they have cross bracing or are only longitudinally mounted.

Your mufflers are fine. no need to measure.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In Street mod only the rear seats can be removed not the interior pieces.

CSM looks like the best fit. Its a local only class. Its sounds like with a couple of minor pieces put back you'd be in SM.

At first the important thing is just coming out and driving and having fun.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ivan Monso

Post by Ivan Monso »

As far as the interior, I can put back the panels and also the seats if needed. I do plan on putting in a cage for additional safety at some point.

stock gears are either 2.73 or 3.08 (manual trans) or 3.27 (automatic) so yes they were changed

the Subframe conn's are just the short ones that bolt in- not full length and no cross bracing

Agreed, the most important thing is just driving, i just wanted to know where I fall as it currently stands.

thanks guys!!!

oh btw, based on these groups, do they run in the am or pm or is it scattered?
Giovanni Jaramillo

ivan monso wrote:oh btw, based on these groups, do they run in the am or pm or is it scattered?
The run groups rotate every championship event from month to month (with the exception of the NOTLD - Night of the Living Dead in August where the run group scheduling is unique). So you may run in the beginning of the year's first few events in the morning, then by spring to summer you'll run in the afternoon.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:The run groups rotate every championship event from month to month
Hey, I didn't know that :)
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:The run groups rotate every championship event from month to month
Curt didn't want to shock you. :lol:
Ivan Monso

Post by Ivan Monso »

Ashley Armstrong wrote:

glad I could contribute to the knowledge pool :geek:
Last edited by Ivan Monso on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Ashley Armstrong wrote:
Curt didn't want to shock you. :lol:
She just drives the car...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

Hey Ivan look me up when you get there, I'll be in my black '85 vert. :thumbup:
Last edited by Cam Correa on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Yeah, whats with the run on mid 80's mustangs? ;)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Yeah, whats with the run on mid 80's mustangs? ;)
Jealous? Image
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Been there done that with my old 85 LX 5.0 Sport

One of the best cars I ever owned. Loved it much more than our 94 Z28 6sp that replaced it.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Been there done that with my old 85 LX 5.0 Sport

One of the best cars I ever owned. Loved it much more than our 94 Z28 6sp that replaced it.
I think that may actually be a decent STX car with the new 265 / 9" wheel allowance.

How well do those cars respond to ST allowances?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The LSD in the rearends take constant rebuilding in stock form, but I guess in STX you could go with a more robust aftermarket unit.
The quad shock rear is wonky. But in stock form it stormed the canyons in a much more balanced way than the camaro did. My camaro always felt like the rear end was trying to leave the car. Hard drives in 3rd gens never left me with that uncomfortable feeling.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Taylor Kurtz
Car#: 0

Newbie on the forum

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

Hey everyone, I'm Taylor, and i'll be driving my first solo2 event this upcoming sunday (Cali Speedway Nov 9). I drive a 2007 Civic Si with a few suspension goodies/exhaust, and looking to further improve my driving. I'm a regular up in the canyons in Malibu, but I can't push my car up there nearly as hard as I would like to. One question: How early should I plan on getting there to register, and is there any chance there won't be any more entree openings? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to meeting some of you.
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Re: Newbie on the forum

Post by Doug Teulie »

Taylor Kurtz wrote:Hey everyone, I'm Taylor, and i'll be driving my first solo2 event this upcoming sunday (Cali Speedway Nov 9). I drive a 2007 Civic Si with a few suspension goodies/exhaust, and looking to further improve my driving. I'm a regular up in the canyons in Malibu, but I can't push my car up there nearly as hard as I would like to. One question: How early should I plan on getting there to register, and is there any chance there won't be any more entree openings? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to meeting some of you.
7:30 AM

You can race Sunday with an entry and an SCCA 1 day or 1 year membership. You can get both at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
Bring some blue tape to stick on your 600 series car number that you will get with your entry.
Make sure you walk the track. Have fun and be safe.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Giovanni Jaramillo

Taylor Kurtz wrote:I'm a regular up in the canyons in Malibu, but I can't push my car up there nearly as hard as I would like to.
You won't do anything up there except wreck your car or go off a cliff. I used to the "canyon runs" as fun but when you can't go 10/10ths then it's no fun at all. Improve your driving in autocross in a closed environment and you'll find the canyon runs boring.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In the canyons, you can work on line and technique like hand position, steering, heel-toe, left foot braking... And enjoy the views.

But trying to go illegally fast on the street is just dumb and dangerous.

We give you an outlet to drive as hard as you want. Without coming around the corner and finding a cow. Or a stuck car. Or a kid. Or another Taylor Kurtz coming at you at speed in the wrong lane...

Don't think most of us are a bunch of pollyanna's and wimps... Quite a few of us have run the canyons and street raced in our youth and moved on to something far more skilled and intense. And something that doesn't threaten careers, families, and lives.

I have two friends whose lives were literally destroyed by street racing. It can be bad.

Enuff preaching... Come out have fun and learn to be a much better driver than you imagined possible.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Taylor Kurtz wrote: and is there any chance there won't be any more entree openings?
Not on Sunday. Bring it on out!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Taylor Kurtz

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

Thanks for all of the responses. Hope to meet you all soon!

Taylor
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Doug Teulie wrote:
Taylor Kurtz wrote:Hey everyone, I'm Taylor, and i'll be driving my first solo2 event this upcoming sunday (Cali Speedway Nov 9). I drive a 2007 Civic Si with a few suspension goodies/exhaust, and looking to further improve my driving. I'm a regular up in the canyons in Malibu, but I can't push my car up there nearly as hard as I would like to. One question: How early should I plan on getting there to register, and is there any chance there won't be any more entree openings? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to meeting some of you.
7:30 AM

You can race Sunday with an entry and an SCCA 1 day or 1 year membership. You can get both at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
Bring some blue tape to stick on your 600 series car number that you will get with your entry.
Make sure you walk the track. Have fun and be safe.
You might want to get there earlier if you want to do the Novice Course walk - unless I hear otherwise, I'll be conducting it starting around 7:35-7:40.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Taylor Kurtz

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

how long should it take me to get out to Cali Speedway from west LA? Approximately 405/I-10.
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

at that time in the morning? almost exactly an hour.

probably slightly less