The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Re: Finally signed up!

Post by Will Kalman »

Alberto Castaneda wrote:I have to join again? now Im confused :?

I joined using solo2.com from a link on nasioc.com

so there are different memberships that do the same thing ?
There are three levels:

1) There is a National Club, the SCCA. They provide the insurance, sanction, and a common rule set.

2) Under that are the Regions, such as Cal Club.

3) Under Cal Club there are Member Clubs such as CASOC, PSCC, No$, GRA, Team Blew, etc.

All these levels operate independently so that's why it seems that they are all separate but together.

If you run it backwards, you see why it's this way...

First there were Clubs (Mustang, Corvette, etc) who wanted to do autocrossing. No club could run an autocross program by itself so they banded together to host events and make a viable autocross program. There were many of these and they all had different rules and had trouble finding insurance so the National club (SCCA) made those regional clubs into "Regions" of the SCCA. Now with the buying power, stable rules, safety rules, etc insurance could be provided and a common set of rules setup so you can take your car from LA to NY and still compete heads-up. You can have a National Championship, too.

Just stick with it and it will become more clear.
Alberto Castaneda
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 700

Post by Alberto Castaneda »

ok

so im now signed up with

SCCA

and

Solo 2 for a points card

I chose team BLEW just because of the Subaru thing so we'll see how it goes.

thank for explaining all that to me and, sorry I should of read the newb getting started forum more thorough.

I've sent a PM to the chairman with all the info

So i think I'm all situated now
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Thanks ... :mrgreen:

You might want to introduce yourself and your Suby/mods on the Team Blew message board ... link that I sent to you a couple of days ago. ;)

A number of your Team Blew mates will be at the next Practice, 10 so far ... see you there.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Don't be scared off by the weblumen.com website.... They get tested regularly and I think the bath house participation is optional.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

now on team blew boards
http://www.apolloperformance1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Alberto Castaneda wrote: Solo 2 for a points card

Got your info and you're all set.

Just to add more confusion....... :)

SCCA (nationwide) is broken down first into divisions (we are SoPac-Southern Pacific) which is comprised of regions (i.e. Cal Club, San Diego, San Francisco, etc...). Welcome to the addiction!
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:

SCCA (nationwide) is broken down first into divisions (we are SoPac-Southern Pacific) which is comprised of regions (i.e. Cal Club, San Diego, San Francisco, etc...). Welcome to the addiction!
San Francisco is not part of SoPac. Cal Club, San Diego, Hawaii, Big Island, Arizona Region, Arizona Border, Guam are SoPac. :D
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:

San Francisco is not part of SoPac. Cal Club, San Diego, Hawaii, Big Island, Arizona Region, Arizona Border, Guam are SoPac. :D
Damn! So used to SF members coming down to SoCal to compete! :)

SF is part of NoPac Division :) Too bad we can't go to Hawaii to run an event :)

Oh what about Vegas? Is LVR part of SoPac?
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Whoops! Left out LVR. The Big Island Region is new.
Alberto Castaneda

how low is too low?

just got my wheels and tires and lowered my car, but i think its too low, i have to ride it out for a bit until i decide if i going to keel it like this. only have about 1.5 weeks to figure it out
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

While a low CG is good, often cars lowered too much will end up with rollcenters going below ground which results in some suspension ugliness. A good hint that you'll run into problems is if your lower control arms are inverted as it sits. Often that is the starting part for where I'll lower a car. Lower it til the LCA's are level then test from there.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Alberto Castaneda

think i found my helmet, HJC ac-3
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Yeah - you don't want to go to low on a Subie. What Steve says about the LCA's is good advice.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Properly set-up Subies end up at around 13.5" ... middle of wheel to inside the fender lip. Rear can be a bit higher ... up to 14"

Barco's '06 National Championship winning STX WRX was around 13.5." His tests indicated that the gains of being low outweighed any negatives of suspension geometry, at least on fairly smooth lots.
Brian Kadar

New guy....want to race at El Toro...where do I sign?

Post by Brian Kadar »

Ok I know there are a lot of different clubs out there. I've got a stock 06 charger r/t (with the "racing" package) and I want to run at the next El Toro event. What club should I join and how much? I also want to race at california speedway whenever possible. Any ideas? THANKS!
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: New guy....want to race at El Toro...where do I sign?

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

The best place to start is with this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Re: New guy....want to race at El Toro...where do I sign?

Please click on the logo atop that says "CSCC Solo" (aka solo2.com). Then once there, read the top right hand section: Newbie Guide / Introduction

Then on the left-hand side you have 2 FAQs (General, Membership).
Alberto Castaneda

thank to everyone that helped me answer my noob questions I HAD A BLAST, soooo much fun ! :D !

PJ Peralta
Car#: 0

New to Auto-X and the forums

Post by PJ Peralta »

Hey everyone.

My names PJ,and I just joined today.I've been to one CSCC event,which was 2008's last championship event(I believe last december??). I went just to watch,and got a couple rides in some cars.I have to say,even just riding gets you addicted!I was planning on attending this past weekends practice,but got caught up in things.

I do plan on coming for this sundays event

http://www.solo2.com/eventpage.asp?eid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{376E3612-F938-47C5-9D37-FDA68CE35FE2}

I signed up for a SCCA membership,but never got my form in the mail :( ,so hopefully i'll get one when I come this sunday.As for a points card,do I need one?

Thanks!and see ya soon!

PJ

p.s. i have a 2005 evo VIII,minimal mods,full interior,Azenis rt615's 255/40/17. Is there a specific class i'll be in?thanks!
Chuck Fowler
Car#: 299

Re: New to Auto-X and the forums

Post by Chuck Fowler »

pj peralta wrote:Hey everyone.

My names PJ,and I just joined today.I've been to one CSCC event,which was 2008's last championship event(I believe last december??). I went just to watch,and got a couple rides in some cars.I have to say,even just riding gets you addicted!I was planning on attending this past weekends practice,but got caught up in things.

http://www.solo2.com/eventpage.asp?eid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{376E3612-F938-47C5-9D37-FDA68CE35FE2}

I signed up for a SCCA membership,but never got my form in the mail :( ,so hopefully i'll get one when I come this sunday.As for a points card,do I need one?

Thanks!and see ya soon!

PJ

p.s. i have a 2005 evo VIII,minimal mods,full interior,Azenis rt615's 255/40/17. Is there a specific class i'll be in?thanks!
welcome, how long ago did you send in your app? SCCA will send you a card in the mail with a membership number on it. you can contact them
here >> http://www.scca.com/contactus.aspx and they can probably tell you what it is before this weekend. you'll want it so you don't need to buy the weekend membership. see ya sunday

chuck

p.s. you'll need to 'splain the "minimal mods" to see what class your in
it's only paranoia if your wrong
PJ Peralta
Car#: 0

Post by PJ Peralta »

Chuck Fowler wrote:
pj peralta wrote:Hey everyone.

Thanks!and see ya soon!

PJ

welcome, how long ago did you send in your app? SCCA will send you a card in the mail with a membership number on it. you can contact them
here >> http://www.scca.com/contactus.aspx and they can probably tell you what it is before this weekend. you'll want it so you don't need to buy the weekend membership. see ya sunday

chuck

p.s. you'll need to 'splain the "minimal mods" to see what class your in

chuck.

thanks for the info.i'll deff. e-mail them ASAP!

as far as mods go,heres a list.(i'll try to be as specific as possible)

suspension:
-Tanabe GF210 springs
-Azenis RT615 (255/40/17)

power mods:
-Perrin 3" downpipe
-Megan test pipe
-Greddy SP-2 catback
-K&N open filter
-Forge MBC
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-ACT street clutch
-RRE flywheel

thats pretty much it.thank you!
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

thanks for the info.i'll deff. e-mail them ASAP!
Welcome, PJ! With this organization, I'd definitely use the phone to get anything done quickly. The number's 800-770-2055. See you this weekend!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Sounds like BSP or CST car to me.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Giovanni Jaramillo

pj peralta wrote:As for a points card,do I need one?
To run? Technically no. You would just run as a visitor with a 600 number (600-699)

To compete for points and year-end trophy/jacket and ability to pre-register online and run with a permanent number year round? YES
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Max Hayter wrote:Sounds like BSP or CST car to me.
Yup, that's a BSP car.

if you have a points card you can run in the Rookie Challenge with a BSP index:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;