3/1/09 PSCC Championship

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Rad_ Delgado_
Club: PSCC
Car#: 512

Re: 3/1/09 PSCC Championship

Post by Rad_ Delgado_ »

For such a long course, and 240 drivers, the logistics were terrific. Congratulations on a job well done.

My co-driver and I had a blast, I warned him that the event was not as laid back as other SCCA regions, and I could see his stress on a pale face. The good news for him, I told him "This is as close to a SCCA National Tour event as it gets". He has not done a SCCA National Tour yet, but yesterday's event will help him to get through easier on his first Tour.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by us on Heat 3 on the grid. My co-driver went out, and he drove so fast that the Tech inspection stickers flew away (tip: wax on top of the windshield to avoid painful sticker removals might be too much). So, I went to re-tech the same car that was sent out minutes before, and when I got back I could not stage at the same spot anymore.

I think it would be helpful for all of us to try to stick to the initial grid space for 2 driver cars. This is not as critical on the single driver grid, although it would be ideal. On the 2 driver lanes, teams have some decently sized equipment, helmets, floor jacks, sprayers, torque wrenches, etc.

The course layout exceeded my expectations. This was a top class course, there were technical elements that separated follow the dot drivers from better drivers. I specifically liked going through the box clean with such a wide car, the high speed slalom at the finish, the two 180s, and the offsets after the box.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Rad Delgado wrote:For such a long course, and 240 drivers, the logistics were terrific. Congratulations on a job well done.

My co-driver and I had a blast, I warned him that the event was not as laid back as other SCCA regions, and I could see his stress on a pale face. The good news for him, I told him "This is as close to a SCCA National Tour event as it gets". He has not done a SCCA National Tour yet, but yesterday's event will help him to get through easier on his first Tour.
He was the one with the Red Porsche Cayman S right? I met him at the exit of the 405 Fwy at Sand Canyon Rd and asked if I was going to SCCA and said yes. You're right, we are spoiled here at a Cal Club (not only with weather but talented drivers) and that's a great observation. Yesterday's intensity did feel like a Tour in that everyone was prepping for the Tour down in SD then the following weekend back at El Toro for the ProSolo.
Rad Delgado wrote:I specifically liked going through the box clean with such a wide car, the high speed slalom at the finish, the two 180s, and the offsets after the box.
Same here, as with E46 M3 with SMG, I hit the box clean and my car is wide too, and with speed built up coming out of the 3 cone slalom I was able to climb to 3rd gear and stay there for about 3 seconds which is an eternity for an SCCA auto-x course. Gearing was perfect, and it was a definitely a look ahead course. Good to meet you Rad (we spoke about PCA, and the GT2 and GT3 and PCA instructors) while in grid.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Rad Delgado wrote:For such a long course, and 240 drivers, the logistics were terrific. Congratulations on a job well done.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by us on Heat 3 on the grid. My co-driver went out, and he drove so fast that the Tech inspection stickers flew away (tip: wax on top of the windshield to avoid painful sticker removals might be too much). So, I went to re-tech the same car that was sent out minutes before, and when I got back I could not stage at the same spot anymore.

I think it would be helpful for all of us to try to stick to the initial grid space for 2 driver cars. This is not as critical on the single driver grid, although it would be ideal. On the 2 driver lanes, teams have some decently sized equipment, helmets, floor jacks, sprayers, torque wrenches, etc.
We had hoped to set up a Nationals style grid for Sunday but just didn't get to it, it takes considerably more time and effort to do.

The new, larger tech stickers have easy release adhesive so that removal is no longer painful or requires anything special to keep them from sticking.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Rick Brown wrote:The new, larger tech stickers have easy release adhesive so that removal is no longer painful or requires anything special to keep them from sticking.
In fact, they do the job so well that things people used to do to keep them from sticking (tape underneath, wax, etc.) now result in them flying off on course as Rad mentioned. I've run into that problem quite a few times working grid.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

3-1 El Toro Video

Post by Casey Brier »

I didnt see a thread yet for videos....so here is one. :^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5foXg5ooDk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Tech chiefs should keep in mind that we have proper stickers now if they see cars "overprepped" :)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Re: 3-1 El Toro Video

Post by Tito Sar »

Here is another one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CjpzKbcc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

I just posted my videos in the main thread for the event so they'd be easy to find if anyone ever searched for that event.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

How about combining the two threads then?
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Post by Tito Sar »

Where are the results?
Aaron Goldsmith

Tito Sar wrote:Where are the results?
Not posted yet, maybe still being audited against the cone counts corner sheets which has to be done by hand. I'm sure Rick will post here when they are ready and posted
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

i'll even take unaudited results. I'm dying over here!

hahah
Aaron Goldsmith

Marshall Grice wrote:i'll even take unaudited results. I'm dying over here!

hahah
I DON'T WANNA SEE.. i didn't do so hot out there.. :lol:
Giovanni Jaramillo

hahah
I do remember looking at PAX and here's what I remember:

1. Jeff Kiesel - E-Mod

then after this not sure of order after but I know this group
  • Mike Simanyi - SM
  • Toby Larsson - FP
  • Aaron Goldsmith - FP
was ahead of this group (and was surprised at the results; congrats Marshall)
  • Marshall Grice - BSP
  • Tom Berry - BSP
As for the rest of PAX didn't look further down.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

This chase cam system is the coolest thing we've bought for the car so far. check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Nr54viJK4

btw, it's a little hard to understand but i'm pretty sure i say "gosh darn i think i missed that apex right there" near the end of the video.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Marshall Grice wrote:This chase cam system is the coolest thing we've bought for the car so far. check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Nr54viJK4

btw, it's a little hard to understand but i'm pretty sure i say "gosh darn i think i missed that apex right there" near the end of the video.
I just saw this................ :lol: :lol: :lol: oh man that was too funny Marshall!! :)

Great run, and shows the majesty of Simanyi's "nationals style" course
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

The audited results were posted on the motorhome before everything was packed up. There was a relatively large group of novices who waited around to see them!
Ken Motonishi
Club: GRA
Car#: 491

Post by Ken Motonishi »

Imagine how much faster your time could have been if you got on the gas sooner right off the start into the first right turn, didn't brake too early (by 20 feet) on the first left after being on the limiter, braking before entering the kink that should have been totally flat in 3rd, pushing out slightly on the last 180 before the last slalom and pussyfooting it through the slalom.

Easy 78.5

}:)
Last edited by Ken Motonishi on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dood, are you gonna eat that?
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

thanks Ken. Don't think i don't see it too. For some reason my brain just does not have the appropriate neurons connected together to make that stuff happen yet. Some day I hope to make that sort of magic happen though.

btw, that is everything my 1000 dollar data acq tells me i did wrong. apparently you super drivers don't need those crutches to go fast.

:edit:
and the braking before the lane change was good for 8 tenths by itself, shifting to 3rd there would have probably made it good for a full second if the downshift didn't screw something else up. add in all the other mistakes and we're looking at a sub 78 second run "easy". but that still leaves like a second to catch up with Jeff though!
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:

hahah
I do remember looking at PAX and here's what I remember:

1. Jeff Kiesel - E-Mod

then after this not sure of order after but I know this group
  • Mike Simanyi - SM
  • Toby Larsson - FP
  • Aaron Goldsmith - FP
was ahead of this group (and was surprised at the results; congrats Marshall)
  • Marshall Grice - BSP
  • Tom Berry - BSP
As for the rest of PAX didn't look further down.
I believe PAX was something like this... Although I'm sure you want the real thing Marshall :)

Kiesel
Simanyi -1.3xx
Grice -.1xx
Berry -.1xx
Uyeda -.1xx
Schilling -.6xx

KMo would've been ~.1 ahead of Simanyi.
Rad_ Delgado_
Car#: 512

Post by Rad_ Delgado_ »

Here are Lou's runs ==> http://vimeo.com/3447872

and my runs ==> http://vimeo.com/3447878

The camera mount was fine, but I didn't get the camcorder itself tight to the mount.
Aaron Goldsmith

Jason Uyeda wrote:
I believe PAX was something like this... Although I'm sure you want the real thing Marshall :)

Kiesel
Simanyi -1.3xx
Grice -.1xx
Berry -.1xx
Uyeda -.1xx
Schilling -.6xx

KMo would've been ~.1 ahead of Simanyi.
Oh man, results are posted...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My worst finish since the SD tour last year, but only place to go is up. Note to all, hitting a cone on every run does not help you go any faster, haha.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Oh man, results are posted...

My worst finish since the SD tour last year, but only place to go is up. Note to all, hitting a cone on every run does not help you go any faster, haha.
WOW. You and Max both got beat heads up by girls. :lol: Guess you both need to go back to that soft STU class. }:)
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: Oh man, results are posted...
Yay! Thank you, thank you, thank you to the people who posted the results! I checked the site about every 10 minutes last night... I'm so happy to see the results this morning! :lol:
~Lily