First Timer

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jason Dang

First Timer

Post by Jason Dang »

I'm not a Solo2 member and i want to attend this feb 28 practice event at el toro. I'm a little confuse on how to register. Do i just show up on that day and sign up and pay or do i have to mail in a check+ $15 for weekend membership.

-Jason
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Re: First Timer

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

This is the time of year it's difficult to get into Practices, as all of the national class competitors are testing, but you can try your luck and follow the directions on the entry in the calendar:
http://tinyurl.com/cjurwk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll probably want to read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Championship on Sunday is open to all, great place to get your feet wet and you will have a lot of instructors there.
Jason Dang

Post by Jason Dang »

I read the directions on the entry in the calendar and it said to mail a check to the address, but at the bottom it said there is no pre-registration?

my question did not really get answer.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jason Dang wrote:I read the directions on the entry in the calendar and it said to mail a check to the address, but at the bottom it said there is no pre-registration?

my question did not really get answer.
You pre-register by mailing in your check, and IF you get picked via the lottery, then you're in. Pre-registration for practices is ONLY by U.S. Mail. Pre-registration for championship events is online via the Autocross Software Online Race Management system (aka AXWare ORM) and is open to everyone.
Jason Dang

Post by Jason Dang »

I'm a starving college student that loves cars and doesn't have a lot of money. I been to one autox practice day in the past and i loved it. For $65 (event fee + weekend membership) i got about 20 runs by the end of the day. I felt my money was well spent and i learn a lot about my car.

...so i missed out on feb. 28 practice event but i can still go to sunday championship event. My question to you guys is do you think i should just wait till the next practice event and sign up for that one or...........do you think i will still get my money worth on sunday event knowing that i will only get about 6 runs ( if i also buy the X-runs $25). $30(fee) +$15(weekend membership) + $25(x run) = $70

...what do you guys think?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

1) college students under 24 (or something like that) only pay $15 for the 3 (possibly 4) runs. For the amount of work you do, it's sometimes better than a practice (more normally 12-15 runs).

2) regardless of the student discount, championships provide the best learning experience - there are novice course walks, instructors who will drive your car or ride-a-long with you; championships are geared toward helping new people more.

3) even though you didn't get into the saturday practice, you can still show up and get ride-a-longs - obviously not as good as driving, but you still learn & it costs you basically nothing.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You will get your money's worth.

btw. join up, SCCA and CSCC, and you can take advantage of events like today's Porsche AX Practice at El Toro. We got 14 runs for $60 ... plus lots of rides with our many talented drivers.

I'm a firm believer that ride alongs are a terrific way to learn. You aren't distracted by having to actually drive a car! Come out next Saturday and get rides with us. You'll get a good look at Sunday's course ... albeit backwards.
Jason Dang

Post by Jason Dang »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:1) college students under 24 (or something like that) only pay $15 for the 3 (possibly 4) runs. For the amount of work you do, it's sometimes better than a practice (more normally 12-15 runs).
do you mean only pay $15 for the event fee or for the x-run fee? How do i get this discount if i register online through the system?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Your event fee is $15. The price of X-Runs is still unclear at this point. Be nice for the EBOARD to make a DECISION on this one NOW!!!

12 is the normal number for practices. Don't expect more than that. You should never get less.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Jason Dang wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:1) college students under 24 (or something like that) only pay $15 for the 3 (possibly 4) runs. For the amount of work you do, it's sometimes better than a practice (more normally 12-15 runs).
do you mean only pay $15 for the event fee or for the x-run fee? How do i get this discount if i register online through the system?
$15 is event fee. Xrun is still $25. If you look on the flyer, it has all the pricing info.

I think it's easiest to register online, then pay in person.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Your event fee is $15. The price of X-Runs is still unclear at this point. Be nice for the EBOARD to make a DECISION on this one NOW!!!

12 is the normal number for practices. Don't expect more than that. You should never get less.
I guess I'm not sure why it is unclear? If it is because of the AXWare system, that's just an unforeseen problem with the programing (It automatically deducts $5 from the primary run price for the second set of runs). Has this been a point of issue in the past? I guess we can discuss.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jason Dang wrote:I'm a starving college student that loves cars and doesn't have a lot of money. I been to one autox practice day in the past and i loved it. For $65 (event fee + weekend membership) i got about 20 runs by the end of the day. I felt my money was well spent and i learn a lot about my car.

...so i missed out on feb. 28 practice event but i can still go to sunday championship event. My question to you guys is do you think i should just wait till the next practice event and sign up for that one or...........do you think i will still get my money worth on sunday event knowing that i will only get about 6 runs ( if i also buy the X-runs $25). $30(fee) +$15(weekend membership) + $25(x run) = $70

...what do you guys think?
The idea of practices are really "test and tune" your car for those that will come out the next day for the championship (3 runs). What we don't want is people just coming to the practices and taking away spots from those that will come out both days. I know it seems like you're getting less bang for your buck, but you get more attention at champ events and you're not there all day working. Morning or afternoon session.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Your event fee is $15. The price of X-Runs is still unclear at this point. Be nice for the EBOARD to make a DECISION on this one NOW!!!

I guess I'm not sure why it is unclear? If it is because of the AXWare system, that's just an unforeseen problem with the programing (It automatically deducts $5 from the primary run price for the second set of runs). Has this been a point of issue in the past? I guess we can discuss.
Yes! First, it was never really fully hashed out that X runs were always $25. Some reg people charged the same discount as the entry (meaning if you had a discount you got discounted x runs too). Some reg people charged $25. I kept pointing that out. Nothin'.

Now we have Axwhere. To make the online payments work it has to be $15 and $10 for the students. Rick asked the EBoard to discuss that. Did they?

And can you give a definition of who qualifies for the student discount?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Dang

Post by Jason Dang »

Thank all of you for all your help, you guys have been very informative and patient with me. I really appreciate it. Have a good day and i'll see you all at the events.
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

^^same here. Theres a college discount!??
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Nucum wrote:^^same here. Theres a college discount!??
Yep, up to 24 years old with a valid College ID. $15 entry fee.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:

Yes! First, it was never really fully hashed out that X runs were always $25. Some reg people charged the same discount as the entry (meaning if you had a discount you got discounted x runs too). Some reg people charged $25. I kept pointing that out. Nothin'.

Now we have Axwhere. To make the online payments work it has to be $15 and $10 for the students. Rick asked the EBoard to discuss that. Did they?

And can you give a definition of who qualifies for the student discount?
Ok, well officially (and this was in the previous regs, so I'm not sure why some people missed it) the discounts only apply to the primary runs. This is documented in the new Appendix B to the Supp Regs, so we should all be clear on that one. But, I'll probably make it a point when discussing each event with the respective registration people. On the X-Runs, it is $25 in all cases. The discounts don't apply and the students also pay $25. Still a good deal, considering it is an additional set of runs without work.

The AXWare issue only recently came up and was a bit of a surprise. Since the "normal" situation is $30/$25, when the programmer made changes, he just programmed $5 less than primary runs. We didn't see the issue until the CASOC event when we had students sign up. This is something that will need to be fixed.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins