Registration Open for 4/5 Team Blew Championship

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Registration Open for 4/5 Team Blew Championship

Post by Rick Brown »

Christine Berry wrote:
Rick Brown wrote: BTW Christine, you're an Admin also so you can mess with people's registrations, cars, etc. }:)
Yeah, about that, I think I messed it up when I changed my login ID. :oops: I'll PM you with some details.
Should be fixed. Deleted the other login for you and made your current one Admin. You should see a whole bunch more things in the left column.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Rick Brown wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Refresh ?

Sometimes my Firefox won't work but Camino does ?!
Tried that. I'm on IE at work and home...
As an Admin, I can register anyone. Do you need me to do that for you? If so, which car in your garage?

BTW Christine, you're an Admin also so you can mess with people's registrations, cars, etc. }:)
#9, HS Civic.

Thanks, Rick.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Curt Luther wrote:
Rick Brown wrote: As an Admin, I can register anyone. Do you need me to do that for you? If so, which car in your garage?
#9, HS Civic.

Thanks, Rick.
Done.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Post by Tito Sar »

Holy order Batman. Why do we have such a robust run/work order! I'm used to running last, but not anymore! Just wondering, of course. 8-)
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

Print this out and it will just be easier.

not easier on the environment lol
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Note that I'm deliriously tired so the accuracy of this info is suspect, at best.

Mike

Edit 1: Updated for ST error. STL does not run twice; ST runs in Group 6.
Edit 2: updated with FJ Run / Work info.
Edit 3: corrected STS error. STS now gets to run.
Hi Mike,

While this update burred within a forum subject might be updated, the one actually on axware, has not been. May want to update that one, or the link at minimum.

Craig
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

When does Tech / registration close?
Brett King
Car#: 274

Post by Brett King »

Seems that I've made a newbie error.... My times aren't posted on the axware site for my 3 runs... I have the post-it's still, am I screwed ???? It's showing I DNS'd... :/ Was I supposed to hand in my time slips ? I'm assuming so now....

Can someone help me out please ???

Thanks,

B
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Brett King wrote:Seems that I've made a newbie error.... My times aren't posted on the axware site for my 3 runs... I have the post-it's still, am I screwed ???? It's showing I DNS'd... :/ Was I supposed to hand in my time slips ? I'm assuming so now....

Can someone help me out please ???

Thanks,

B
I don't think they are up yet, Brett. If you look closely, once you click the "Final/PAX results", you'll notice that they are from 3-1-09 event.

And fyi for future purposes, the results are posted on the motorhome w/in a heat or two after your runs.
Brett King

Post by Brett King »

I'm with stooopid. >>>> :? :lol:

Sorry, I just noticed that. My bad... Now I REALLY feel like a noob !

Must say I had a blast tho ;)

B
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

Don't worry about it, Brett... there are lots of details to get to know & always best to ask.

Everyone, regarding results:
No, we didn’t get the audit finished for the final run group …so PLEASE be patient on Rick posting the Prelim results.

...Yes, it was a little nuts. High cone count, DNFs

By the way, throughout my day in the Motorhome... One of the things that surprised me most was the number of cones called on INSTRUCTOR runs. This was only one of the contributing factors in the last group, but consistently occurred throughout the day. My understanding was that when you instruct you typically take the run at 70-80% -- you don't go all out, therefore shouldn't be hitting cones.
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Karen Zaterman wrote:By the way, throughout my day in the Motorhome... One of the things that surprised me most was the number of cones called on INSTRUCTOR runs. This was only one of the contributing factors in the last group, but consistently occurred throughout the day. My understanding was that when you instruct you typically take the run at 70-80% -- you don't go all out, therefore shouldn't be hitting cones.
Yes, but if you have ever instructed in some of these cars you know that they can be so unpredictable because of poor setups that even while driving 7/10ths you end up taking out a cone or two.

PS - the results that are currently posted are from the last event, the pscc event. 4/6/09 8:36am
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Karen Zaterman wrote:By the way, throughout my day in the Motorhome... One of the things that surprised me most was the number of cones called on INSTRUCTOR runs. This was only one of the contributing factors in the last group, but consistently occurred throughout the day. My understanding was that when you instruct you typically take the run at 70-80% -- you don't go all out, therefore shouldn't be hitting cones.
This makes absolute sense when doing an instructor run for a newbie who is getting lost on course or otherwise doing newbie-style driving (i.e. front tires at full lock in terminal understeer) because a full-effort run will be uselessly disorienting. In these instances, cones really shouldn't be hit.

But some people who request an instructor run are intermediate drivers and that requires near-full effort driving to be able to show them the next level and also considering what Christine wrote above about unfamiliar cars and setup, those runs will be subject to cones being hit, especially with a cone-intensive course like this weekend's.

But...an instructor should never be mowing down the course on a banzai run. If the car is a handful, the instensity of the run should be dialed back to suit (after all, you're instructing how to drive that car effectively).

So let's not throw a "no cones on instructor runs" blanket over the whole thing.

BTW, this was one of our best regional event courses in some time - very fun with some great technical challenges.
Brett King

Post by Brett King »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
I don't think they are up yet, Brett. If you look closely, once you click the "Final/PAX results", you'll notice that they are from 3-1-09 event.

And fyi for future purposes, the results are posted on the motorhome w/in a heat or two after your runs.
Yeah, I checked, but they weren't posted because I was running Nov / SST... all good.

PS, your little nephew was my good luck charm on Saturday's practice... got my best time w/ him in the car ! ;)
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

Brett King wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:

Yeah, I checked, but they weren't posted because I was running Nov / SST... all good.

PS, your little nephew was my good luck charm on Saturday's practice... got my best time w/ him in the car ! ;)
What times were you getting in the ///M?
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Brett King wrote:Yeah, I checked, but they weren't posted because I was running Nov / SST... all good.

Sweet, yea, he (actually, my lil cousin - i'm not an uncle, yet ;) ) had a complete blast - thanks again to everyone who gave him ride-alongs & made him feel right at home.

I was working section 3 w/ Jeff during the last run group. The instructors did occasionally cone our section, but it was a tight entry & didn't hold up the runs at all.

The main things holding us up, as many pointed out during the group:

- when people stopped for downed cones, they were proceeding at about 25-50% normal pace, allowing the car behind to catch up
- quite a few novices were driving too slow (understandable), but the car behind him/her was not spaced out enough - again catching up to the person in front and/or not giving enough time for the works to grab the cone that someone knocked out
- as a reaction, the cars were getting spaced out too much - most of the time it wasn't necessary
- I think we finally got it all sorted out toward the end, when cars were starting to come at normal pace again (thank goodness)

basically, spacing out novice/driver behind more & making sure once someone stopped for downed cone, they resume at a good speed (i know at least in our section, once the driver started moving slowly, there were at least 3-4 people yelling "MOVE"/"GO FASTER"/etc - not sure if the driver heard us).

I also noticed more Instructor runs toward the later half of the run group, which seemed to help things along quite a bit; I'm thinking the novice drivers either didn't know or were too intimidated/self-conscious to ask for instructor help early - maybe if we more proactively approach all the "NOV" drivers before their first runs & see if they wanted a an instructor rather than wait for one to ask.

:thumbup: to all the instructors.
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

:thumbup: A+ for Leonard. My brother really enjoyed working with you. Thanks for all your help.
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote: I also noticed more Instructor runs toward the later half of the run group, which seemed to help things along quite a bit; I'm thinking the novice drivers either didn't know or were too intimidated/self-conscious to ask for instructor help early - maybe if we more proactively approach all the "NOV" drivers before their first runs & see if they wanted a an instructor rather than wait for one to ask.
When I'm not running or prepping my car to run, I'm usually in grid looking for novices who need instructors, mainly at the beginning of the run group. Our main problem in the later run groups is finding instructors who are still around the grid area. If we have the motorhome make an announcement, no one in the paddock can hear. For the final run group, we had seven novices who wanted instruction, plus a couple others who wanted an instructor to ride, but would be fine without. Usually, most of them want the instructor along for the first run. It's not so bad when you've got one or two drivers to match with a couple of instructors, but it can get hectic when you've got more than a 2-to-1 instructor/student ratio. I think either spacing out novices who want instructors in grid or maybe having a separate designated lane might be of help there since we've had so many of late.
Last edited by Leonard Cachola on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote::thumbup: A+ for Leonard. My brother really enjoyed working with you. Thanks for all your help.
You're welcome! I had fun in the 135, even if I was only driving 70%.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Will Kalman wrote:
BTW, this was one of our best regional event courses in some time - very fun with some great technical challenges.
Greg tried hard to give us a great course, and he did.
I also thought it was one of the best courses i have run on, Big smiles after each run.

Brett King

Post by Brett King »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote:
Best time on Saturday was a 74.6 something ... Best on Sunday was a 77.8 something... :/ Wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but I gotta remember it was my first time out there. I wasn't really too confident in my tires... had my pressures dialed, but more grip would have been nice. I guess that's what everyone wants tho huh ??? hahahaa

I def need to do a couple things to it to make it handle a little better, and still be SST. I'm gonna talk with Mike S a little on that stuff to make sure I don't go over board. Then again, those damn Miata's are QUICK ! Maybe I DO wanna be in a different class... hahahaha

;)
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Brett King wrote:
Tadd Ekstrand wrote:
Best time on Saturday was a 74.6 something ... Best on Sunday was a 77.8 something... :/ Wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but I gotta remember it was my first time out there. I wasn't really too confident in my tires... had my pressures dialed, but more grip would have been nice. I guess that's what everyone wants tho huh ??? hahahaa

I def need to do a couple things to it to make it handle a little better, and still be SST. I'm gonna talk with Mike S a little on that stuff to make sure I don't go over board. Then again, those damn Miata's are QUICK ! Maybe I DO wanna be in a different class... hahahaha

;)
You've got 30mm more tire and at least double the horsepower of any of the Miatas, so I don't think you need to worry. ;)

Another compliment to the weekend's course designer! That was a ton of fun.
Brett King

Post by Brett King »

Steve Lepper wrote:
You've got 30mm more tire and at least double the horsepower of any of the Miatas, so I don't think you need to worry. ;)

Another compliment to the weekend's course designer! That was a ton of fun.
Maybe so, but it also weighs about 600 lbs lighter... :lol:

As far as the course... Even tho it was only the second course I've driven, I LOVED IT !!!!!
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

best mod: instructors! practice & championship days. No matter how bad/good your setup is, there's always room for improvement for most drivers.

of course, better tires never hurt ;).
Brett King

Post by Brett King »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:best mod: instructors! practice & championship days. No matter how bad/good your setup is, there's always room for improvement for most drivers.

of course, better tires never hurt ;).
Oh yes.... this is true I def have some learning to do ! This car is a little monster as well.... I need to learn to tame the beast !!!! :lol: