ChaseCam Challenge

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

ChaseCam Challenge

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out (tire cooling, gas, advice, etc.) during the ChaseCam Bonus Challenge today. Also, great job to everyone who competed. How much fun was it for such a diverse group of drivers and cars to go head to head like that? And while I bobbled the last part of my last run, even if I'd hit it perfectly, Chris would still have beaten me. His last run was absolutely killer. Money!

Finally, thanks to Randy for supporting the bonus challenge. That was one of the most incredible sustained adrenaline blasts I've ever experienced. I've had lots of quick-hit adrenaline highs before, but this was 20 minutes (? no idea) of constant adrenaline. It took me over an hour to start calming down, and then I crashed so hard I almost fell asleep driving home. What a rush!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Charley Hoyt

Re: ChaseCam Challenge

Post by Charley Hoyt »

Congratulations!!!! It was great seeing you (and Moby) do so well.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Nice surprise seeing you right in the HUNT!!! Awesome ... takes some cool to keep it together run after run. Not bad for a Not Quite A Newbie! :thumbup:
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks! It was fun to not just get in but do some damage as well. Would've loved to win, but Chris was on fire...no stopping him.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Kurt, I have your Bonus Challenge trophy and will bring it to the practice this Saturday.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Leonard Cachola wrote:Kurt, I have your Bonus Challenge trophy and will bring it to the practice this Saturday.
Awesome. Thanks, Leonard. Didn't know I was supposed to stick around.
==============
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:Kurt, I have your Bonus Challenge trophy and will bring it to the practice this Saturday.
I was picked once in the bonus challenge (Atwater) and made it past one round, but it is an adrenaline rush. Great to see you almost win it all Kurt. Now you can focus on driving better, more practice, and get a car FASTER than "moby" :)
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
I was picked once in the bonus challenge (Atwater) and made it past one round, but it is an adrenaline rush. Great to see you almost win it all Kurt. Now you can focus on driving better, more practice, and get a car FASTER than "moby" :)
Thanks, Gio! The way it turned out, I ended up running all my runs back-to-back with just a couple minutes break before the final while someone found me a little gas. It was constant adrenaline and it was awesome.
==============
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

didn't you get a breakout in one of the runs during the bonus challenge?

also, Moby is huge.

given the fix focal length of the 600mm, it gives a pretty good comparison of size at a given corner. until moby came through, i had the hardest time trying to fit the vettes into the frame. and then moby came through. I don't actually think it's bigger than the vette, but it sure feels that way on the pictures.. :lol:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Cool ... someone was there to take photos on Sunday ... looking forward to seeing them Jeff! Did you get any of Charley Hoyt's pretty red convertable Vette?
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

kurt,

awesome driving .. i was working the course during the bonus and you were sharp!!
congrats!!
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Cool ... someone was there to take photos on Sunday ... looking forward to seeing them Jeff! Did you get any of Charley Hoyt's pretty red convertable Vette?
to be honest, I'm really disappointed at the photo results from the 600. it's a great lens for birding, but not so much for auto-x

1. it's way too long of focal length for auto-x
2. my tripod is way to light duty for me to shoot in a crouch position.

i had a lot of lens shake in the picture.. i'd say probably only 20% of the pictures came out sharp.

course, 20% of 1800+ pictures is still 360. I just have to sort through them.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jeff Shyu wrote: to be honest, I'm really disappointed at the photo results from the 600. it's a great lens for birding, but not so much for auto-x
I think this is where Mako says "i told you so". :)
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

So there I am watching the great white whale take off, then my lights come down. I'm thinking I'll have no problem catching up, I better make sure I don't breakout or hit cones...So I cruise by some cones giving them a wide berth, get on the gas late all over the place, but I think "eh no biggie", then I round the last turn and see that he is ahead!!!! I got beat by THE WHALE. :cry: :lol:
Great job Kurt!

I'm not the best at the Pro Solo format, as you can see from this and prior results, but the challenges sure are interesting and add a new level that I've never experienced...Yay for the Bonus challenge.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I'm not the best at the Pro Solo format, as you can see from this and prior results, but the challenges sure are interesting and add a new level that I've never experienced...Yay for the Bonus challenge.
i didn't hear who all won the draw for the bonus challenge, so i was surprised when i saw Aaron pull up in the BMW and was excited for him.

and then i saw you appear on the other side of the trailer, and thinking to myself "boo".. :lol:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

:lol: ... no, but I did mainly use my 70/200 zoom instead of my usual favorite 300 ... which with the 1.6X APS sensor size factor = 480. The 70/200 becomes a very useful = 112/320

Kazuya, Yuki's photo friend took this cool Canon 600 mm shot ... at 1/20th of a second ... with a video panning head/tripod.

Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Sebastian Rios wrote:So there I am watching the great white whale take off, then my lights come down. I'm thinking I'll have no problem catching up, I better make sure I don't breakout or hit cones...So I cruise by some cones giving them a wide berth, get on the gas late all over the place, but I think "eh no biggie", then I round the last turn and see that he is ahead!!!! I got beat by THE WHALE. :cry: :lol:
Great job Kurt!

I'm not the best at the Pro Solo format, as you can see from this and prior results, but the challenges sure are interesting and add a new level that I've never experienced...Yay for the Bonus challenge.
Haha, Mr Breakout over there. According to the data I ran less than a second off of my hot tire times on both sides and never had a chance. :lol:
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Sebastian Rios wrote:So there I am watching the great white whale take off, then my lights come down. I'm thinking I'll have no problem catching up, I better make sure I don't breakout or hit cones...So I cruise by some cones giving them a wide berth, get on the gas late all over the place, but I think "eh no biggie", then I round the last turn and see that he is ahead!!!! I got beat by THE WHALE. :cry: :lol:
Great job Kurt!

I was crappin' bricks, because I saw how soon after me you got the green. I thought there was no chance in hell I was going to beat you.

BTW, what's a breakout? :oops:
==============
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jeff Shyu wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Cool ... someone was there to take photos on Sunday ... looking forward to seeing them Jeff! Did you get any of Charley Hoyt's pretty red convertable Vette?
to be honest, I'm really disappointed at the photo results from the 600. it's a great lens for birding, but not so much for auto-x

1. it's way too long of focal length for auto-x
2. my tripod is way to light duty for me to shoot in a crouch position.

i had a lot of lens shake in the picture.. i'd say probably only 20% of the pictures came out sharp.

course, 20% of 1800+ pictures is still 360. I just have to sort through them.
Any shutter speed under 1/1000 with a lens like that is asking for blur. What's the 35mm equivalent on your camera? 800mm maybe? That's long.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Kurt Rahn wrote:BTW, what's a breakout? :oops:
When you set a time faster than your qualifying time. In Drag racing this would be a DQ, in Prosolo you get two oops', before your busted. Supposed to keep people honest in their qualifying. Those who can feed the sand out the back as needed.... well' it doesn't much matter, as they'll only feed what they need when the need it.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:BTW, what's a breakout? :oops:
When you set a time faster than your qualifying time. In Drag racing this would be a DQ, in Prosolo you get two oops', before your busted. Supposed to keep people honest in their qualifying. Those who can feed the sand out the back as needed.... well' it doesn't much matter, as they'll only feed what they need when the need it.
Ahhhh. I wasn't really thinking about that...I was just driving like a scalded cheetah :lol:
==============
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Sebastian Rios wrote: I got beat by THE WHALE. :cry: :lol:
Great job Kurt!
You weren't the only one! :lol: :cry:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

DS 2006 Infiniti G35...killin' it @ pro solo AND my ride home is more comfortable

fixed your sig!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:DS 2006 Infiniti G35...killin' it @ pro solo AND my ride home is more comfortable

fixed your sig!
LOL. I guess tires really do make a difference, huh?
==============
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i gave up on trying to sort through the pictures, so the computer is currently churning away at converting all the pictures to jpegs without any post processing.

then i came across this one.

1:14pm, sunday, during the bonus challenge.

yes, it was a wiggle.. no penalty assessed.. against Seb.. hahaha