Do I need an alignment?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jamie Lessie

Do I need an alignment?

Post by Jamie Lessie »

I aligned my car a few months ago. Nothing crazy, 0 toe all the way around, -.9 camber front, -.3 camber rear, +6 caster (front) 0 caster rear

After my car was aligned I got coilovers. The coilovers lowered the car about an inch.

I just raised my car, about an inch. The taller tires on top of that raise it another 3/4 of an inch.

Do I need an alignment? Some say yes, some say "meh" so I thought I would ask you all.
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: Do I need an alignment?

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jamie Lessie wrote:I aligned my car a few months ago. Nothing crazy, 0 toe all the way around, -.9 camber front, -.3 camber rear, +6 caster (front) 0 caster rear

After my car was aligned I got coilovers. The coilovers lowered the car about an inch.

I just raised my car, about an inch. The taller tires on top of that raise it another 3/4 of an inch.

Do I need an alignment? Some say yes, some say "meh" so I thought I would ask you all.
By autox standards you needed an alignment before you installed the coilovers. Without a proper race alignment every other mod you do will be compromised because you are not letting the car use all of the tire. And now with a significant change to the ride height the camber and toe will be even further out of whack.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Jamie Lessie wrote:I aligned my car a few months ago. Nothing crazy, 0 toe all the way around, -.9 camber front, -.3 camber rear, +6 caster (front) 0 caster rear

my rule of thumb is "any change to the suspension requires at least a check of the alignment". Toe plates are awesome to have around when in a bind as it is the most tire wearing culprit when talking about alignments.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do 3rd Gen 7's require a bit of toe-in in the rear?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

As soon as you unbolted something & bolted something else on suspension related, you already affected your alignment.

I'd personally get a more aggressive alignment depending on the tires you are running. It may not make a huge difference in your overall lap time right away, but will make a major difference in feel. It will also probably let your tires wear more even considering you affected all 4 corners when installing coilovers.