Motorsports Event - Free Practice!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: Motorsports Event - Free Practice!

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Ian Stewart wrote:I was refering to the motorsport Z event specifically. Think of it from a time perspective and # of runs. We had 3 cars on course at a time with an average time for the Zs of 90 sec give or take so thats 30 seconds per car plus the 180 seconds to fill and empty the course per session so with 80 cars is 2600 sec which is about 45 minutes per run for 80 cars.
Small correction Ian. The length of the course doesn't matter. Only the cadence for sending out cars determines the number of runs. You could have a 10 minute course, and if you send a car every 30 seconds you'll still essentially get 120 runs per hour. If you send 'em every 25 seconds you get 144 runs per hour. If you start every 24 seconds you get 150 runs per hour. At a practice, 25 second intervals are probably the best goal we can attain.

The problem in hitting that average is knowing which cars are fast and which are slow. If everyone drives essentially the same pace, it's easy to send them out. When one person needs 115 seconds and the next needs 80, you can't blindly send out the cars on a 25 second interval without creating a safety problem.

Ian Stewart wrote: For Sunday, it doesnt matter so much with fewer people and faster drivers
We actually have *more* drivers, and many of them are complete novices. The pace slows substantially vs a "regular" practice. Splitting the run groups so the participants only run in one of three AM and PM sessions helps them cycle through in a reasonable time though. My target is generally 70 minutes per run group, but that requires everything flowing like buttah.

Mike
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Mike Simanyi wrote: On Sunday the fastest times were around 65 seconds
For the slow people :P

My 61 probably doesn't look so good if you index it...
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Steve Towers wrote:
sized the site wrong and my course was WAY too long
No such thing as "way too long". Just need a couple 80-85 mph sections!!!
Take advantage of the real estate. If you don't believe it, come check out some of the PCA-OCR Porsche courses at El Toro.
We do NOT want to be advertising on here such speeds especially for the lot at El Toro, lest we lose that lot.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You should see the pro drift teams testing their cars (with permission) at speed!!! ... besides the Porsche events.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Steve Towers wrote:
sized the site wrong and my course was WAY too long
No such thing as "way too long". Just need a couple 80-85 mph sections!!!
Take advantage of the real estate. If you don't believe it, come check out some of the PCA-OCR Porsche courses at El Toro.
We do NOT want to be advertising on here such speeds especially for the lot at El Toro, lest we lose that lot.
Gio, we're *not* advertising them. And we didn't come remotely close to anything unsafe or inappropriate at our event.

My car is in SM - which doesn't have SCCA speed limits - and we only touched the rev limiter in 2nd briefly. That's about 68 mph. My guess is very few cars exceeded 60 mph.

Mike
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mike Simanyi wrote: Gio, we're *not* advertising them. And we didn't come remotely close to anything unsafe or inappropriate at our event.

My car is in SM - which doesn't have SCCA speed limits - and we only touched the rev limiter in 2nd briefly. That's about 68 mph. My guess is very few cars exceeded 60 mph.

Mike
Correction....not advertising but "asking for" such high-speed sections is what I was referring to in Steve's post.