STS Miata Clutch Questions

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ethan West
Club: No$
Car#: 764

STS Miata Clutch Questions

Post by Ethan West »

Hey everyone. The clutch on my 92 Miata is starting to bite the dust pretty rapidly. I'm unsure of exactly what type of clutch I'm allowed to get that complies with STS rules. I'm considering the Exedy Stage 1, but again, I'm not sure if STS rules will allow that and if I should get the Exedy oem or Mazda oem kit instead. Also, does anyone know of a good place to put in the new clutch in the west SFV or Conejo Valley area? I know out of the 3: Good, Cheap, Quick I can only pick 2. So I'll pick good and cheap (I still have to get my RE-11's and Slipstreams this month :) ).

Thanks In Advance.
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor- CST
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: STS Miata Clutch Questions

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

ST/STS uses STOCK rules for the clutch.

Clutch Discs and Pressure Plates are wear items and may use alternate components than factory OEM, but MUST be OEM type and have NO performance advantage.

In other words, if you're not in the mazdaspeed program yet, get in it immediately or it takes more events find a friend who is in the program and order the stock one through that program.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:ST/STS uses STOCK rules for the clutch.

Clutch Discs and Pressure Plates are wear items and may use alternate components than factory OEM, but MUST be OEM type and have NO performance advantage.

In other words, if you're not in the mazdaspeed program yet, get in it immediately or it takes more events find a friend who is in the program and order the stock one through that program.
BTW, there are a bunch of us in the program. Well worth it.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

$500 oem CAT for $300

Saved a bundle on the new bearings, an A arm, HAWK brake pads, etc. etc.

We'll be getting a new clutch pretty soon ourselves. Throwout bearing is starting to make noise ...
Ethan West

Post by Ethan West »

I keep getting halfway through the Mazdaspeed registration and then forgetting to do the rest :ibrightdea: . I only have 1 race result out of the required 2. Does anyone know if the provisional membership allows for the discount as well? Also, for the Miata driver's here, I assume that the Mazda clutch is the best quality?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Just call them up ... how can you only have one result (ProSolo)? I thought we've seen you out there a number of times with the Miata?

Mazda Motor Sports
1421 REYNOLDS AVENUE
IRVINE CA
US 92614
800-435-2508

For the price, $49.90 ... I'd say the Mazda clutch for your Miata is pretty decent. Might want to see what else you should change while you're at it. They're very helpful and most very knowledgeable on the phone. You can ask them for suggestions ... throw out bearing, etc.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Ethan West wrote:I keep getting halfway through the Mazdaspeed registration and then forgetting to do the rest :ibrightdea: . I only have 1 race result out of the required 2. Does anyone know if the provisional membership allows for the discount as well? Also, for the Miata driver's here, I assume that the Mazda clutch is the best quality?
You can still get in because you're "building" a car. Send them a photo and the one result.

I have a Centerforce dual friction clutch, but I'm not sure that's legal under Stock rules. The Mazda OEM is of good quality. Be sure to get a throwout bearing.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Be sure to get a throwout bearing.
And get the flywheel resurfaced.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Get it aggressively resurfaced & you have a lightened flywheel :-)
Nicole Wong
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

Tri-Point... We are in Canoga Park, not too far from you :D

And, we work with Mazdaspeed Motorsports to offer you their racer net pricing.

818-348-5385
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Get it aggressively resurfaced & you have a lightened flywheel :-)
Only legal if the FSM gives you a spec and lists resurfacing as a factory approved repair method.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

OK ... but isn't resurfacing SOP when changing a clutch in anyone's book? Is one expected to say finish as lightly as possible ... so that some twit doesn't accidentally overly resurface the flywheel? :) Of course even an aggressive resurfacing doesn't turn your oem flywheel into a competition Light Weight Fly Wheel.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Mako Koiwai wrote:OK ... but isn't resurfacing SOP when changing a clutch in anyone's book? Is one expected to say finish as lightly as possible ... so that some twit doesn't accidentally overly resurface the flywheel? :) Of course even an aggressive resurfacing doesn't turn your oem flywheel into a competition Light Weight Fly Wheel.
as long as it's within spec you're fine, if your mechanic makes a mistake and you don't know, it's till you're problem. Just ask Mr. Hollis.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Mako Koiwai wrote:OK ... but isn't resurfacing SOP when changing a clutch in anyone's book? Is one expected to say finish as lightly as possible ... so that some twit doesn't accidentally overly resurface the flywheel? :) Of course even an aggressive resurfacing doesn't turn your oem flywheel into a competition Light Weight Fly Wheel.
No. Some cars can not be resurfaced, C4 Corvette is a dual-mass unit and can't be done. Other manufacturers just don't list it as an authorized repair method, so even though it may be SOP at Mako's Clutch works, it would not be legal.
Jason Isley BS RX8

I just happen to have a 96' Miata FSM here in my hands, as we prepare to install a new trans in Philip's Miata tomorrow... Mazda says to clean minor scoring and burning with emery paper. "Repair" (I would take that as resurface) major scoring or burning. Max runout is .008in (.2mm), beyond that replace. A minimum thickness is not given in the FSM, but may be cast into the part, just like on a brake rotor.
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

I always hear that if you use the Mazda OEM clutch, don't use a Mazda pilot bearing (if you choose to replace it). Go to your local auto parts store and get their no-name one. Supposedly, the Mazda one isn't very good.

Pat.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Pat O'Neal wrote:I always hear that if you use the Mazda OEM clutch, don't use a Mazda pilot bearing (if you choose to replace it). Go to your local auto parts store and get their no-name one. Supposedly, the Mazda one isn't very good.

Pat.
I dunno. Following the retarded logic of the rule book, the "performance" benefit of using a non oem bearing that doesn't fail all the time would be illegal. Similar to changing rod bolts or civic head bolts.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Pat O'Neal wrote:I always hear that if you use the Mazda OEM clutch, don't use a Mazda pilot bearing (if you choose to replace it). Go to your local auto parts store and get their no-name one. Supposedly, the Mazda one isn't very good.

Pat.
I dunno. Following the retarded logic of the rule book, the "performance" benefit of using a non oem bearing that doesn't fail all the time would be illegal. Similar to changing rod bolts or civic head bolts.
Yeah, they consider reliability upgrades a performance gain.
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Except you eventually chase the least reliable point all over the car until you've rebuilt the entire thing. How do you stop that? With a "substitute fasteners only" allowance, of course!

Oh, and pilot bearings.

And driveshafts (or Porsche/S2000 axles).

And head gaskets.

And connecting rods.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

EVO clutches

Suby wheel bearings ...

Fender Liners! :unimpressed:
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Pat.
The pilot bearing should be installed using Loctite, otherwise the outer race can spin. Rather noisy.
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:The pilot bearing should be installed using Loctite, otherwise the outer race can spin. Rather noisy.
Is that an authorized repair/installation method? LOL, rules lawyering is fun!
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Marshall Grice wrote:rod bolts or civic head bolts.
*cough* cryogenic treatment *cough*

"I'm sorry, sir, the SCCA metalurgist says those bolts don't show the factory grain pattern." :roll:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I had my motor blessed by a Yanomami Shaman. Cost me $30 and a bottle of cheap wine, but now my motor has spiritual grounding and Kenny's does not.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ethan West

Post by Ethan West »

Should have just gotten one of Reverend Peter Popoff's Prayer Clothes, Steve :lol:

Ok, so I just emailed all my registration info into Mazda. Mako, did you get such a low price for the clutch from Mazda Motorsports?

Nicole, bringing it into Tri Point sounds awesome. I will definitely call in the next couple days.