2009 Lone Pine Time Trials

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: 2009 Lone Pine Time Trials

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

I looked a couple of years ago for a rule that said the windows must be down and didn't find one in the national rulebook, but I did find it in our Supps.

Craig, a roll-up window is one that actually moves up and down, unlike the side curtains on old MGs or the fixed window on the 1960 John Cooper Mini, which was plexiglass with a little sliding section. It's not about how it's powered, it's how it moves.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Craig, a roll-up window is one that actually moves up and down,

It's not about how it's powered, it's how it moves.
BINGO!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!

The thinking is similar to the types of manual transmissions. There's the true 5-6spd manual gear box that has to be "humanly" moved via the shifter. Then there's SMG where, yes you hit a paddle but that sends a signal where it electronically shifts it for you. They both shift, but powered differently.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:I looked a couple of years ago for a rule that said the windows must be down and didn't find one in the national rulebook, but I did find it in our Supps.
Yea, I always thought it was safer/required for the windows to be down (no glass hitting you when/if it shatters). The rolling over/arm thing makes sense, though (of course, I sure hope we aren't rolling over @ Lone Pine).

I think current Willow Springs rule for convertible is top must be up & windows must be down. No clue on driver restraints & window net issues (last time I went there, it was windows down, top doesn't matter).

In any case, my driver restraint is on the way in the mail (might as well get one for safety anyway), just in case I don't like driving w/ the windows up - I can't drive w/o the wind flowing thru my ears & tail... :mrgreen:
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:I looked a couple of years ago for a rule that said the windows must be down and didn't find one in the national rulebook, but I did find it in our Supps.
Yea, I always thought it was safer/required for the windows to be down (no glass hitting you when/if it shatters). The rolling over/arm thing makes sense, though (of course, I sure hope we aren't rolling over @ Lone Pine).

I think current Willow Springs rule for convertible is top must be up & windows must be down. No clue on driver restraints & window net issues (last time I went there, it was windows down, top doesn't matter).

In any case, my driver restraint is on the way in the mail (might as well get one for safety anyway), just in case I don't like driving w/ the windows up - I can't drive w/o the wind flowing thru my ears & tail... :mrgreen:
I'd rather use arm restraints than window nets, but if you have to reach very far for anything the restraints will be a hindrance. If you're in an open Prep, Mod or formula car, the choice is made for you. :)
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

For those that have not seen how arm restraints are used, here is a 1/2a--ed drawing (hopefully it will show up)
(edit for photo size)
ARM RESTRAINTS.jpg
ARM RESTRAINTS.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 16976 times
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Tom Phillips wrote:For those that have not seen how arm restraints are used, here is a 1/2a--ed drawing
That actually helps A LOT! Thanks, Tom. I was wondering exactly where I would "restrain" my arm once hooking it up. :thumbup:
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I must be missing something here. The Solo Trials Rules require at a minimum an Appendix C roll bar for preps and mods. Okay.

But if you run a bar in stock it MUST have a diagonal brace. But note that Appendix C does not require that brace. (App C, D.3)

So a stock classer choosing to run a rollbar must have a higher-spec rollbar than a prepared/mod? Really?

BTW, the updated flyer now requires a GCR rollbar for convertibles. The Solo Trials Rules specify only an Appendic C rollbar. There's a big difference. Did you really mean to require a GCR rollbar?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Apparently all moot now. Due to other reasons it can't be a Solo Trials and will now be an autocross, so more cones and lower speeds. Hopefully those in power will confirm.

But I thought Appendix C referred to the GCR.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Rick Brown wrote:Apparently all moot now. Due to other reasons it can't be a Solo Trials and will now be an autocross, so more cones and lower speeds. Hopefully those in power will confirm.
Seriously!?! That might change my decision to go...Lone Pine's a long way to go for one day of no-points autocrossing on a surface that's going to chew my tires up.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Remember, its still going to be a very long course I'm sure, and plenty of runs. Just no Subies hitting 125mph.

If all the cars enter as SM, then can the speed rules be increased... }:)
J/K
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Remember, its still going to be a very long course I'm sure, and plenty of runs. Just no Subies hitting 125mph.
True. And the good news is those folks who thought they couldn't participate because of roll bars and other stuff now can. Guess it's how you look at it.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Rick Brown wrote:Apparently all moot now. Due to other reasons it can't be a Solo Trials and will now be an autocross, so more cones and lower speeds. Hopefully those in power will confirm.

But I thought Appendix C referred to the GCR.
No Rick. GCR is road-race...Appendix C is a way toned-down solo spec. A few basic mandatory requirements and a whole bunch of "highly recommended" etc. Basically a hoop with a single brace can meet Appendix C (if done right, with proper tube sizes etc.)
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

whats the story

same classic course as always?
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Carl Vanderschuit

Post by Carl Vanderschuit »

Confused? I am. I have my daily drive mercedes packed and ready. I was leaving tonight. I would like to bring the boxster but it is not a bolt on hard top. It does have a brey krause extension bar (2inch, made for DE's TT, etc). If Anyone can post an answer or recommendation by 2am tonight it would be appreciated.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Carl Vanderschuit wrote:Confused? I am. I have my daily drive mercedes packed and ready. I was leaving tonight. I would like to bring the boxster but it is not a bolt on hard top. It does have a brey krause extension bar (2inch, made for DE's TT, etc). If Anyone can post an answer or recommendation by 2am tonight it would be appreciated.
Normal autocross rules. Bring what you would normally bring to an autocross.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Carl Vanderschuit wrote:Confused? I am. I have my daily drive mercedes packed and ready. I was leaving tonight. I would like to bring the boxster but it is not a bolt on hard top. It does have a brey krause extension bar (2inch, made for DE's TT, etc). If Anyone can post an answer or recommendation by 2am tonight it would be appreciated.
You should be fine now, it's normal autox rules again, i.e. as long as you aren't a prep/mod car, you are fine.
Carl Vanderschuit

Ok, Thanks!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I just want to thank the people that put this event on. Unfortunately I was only able to stay one day, but it was memorable for a lot of reasons and a total blast. Even working the course was fun, despite the fact we were out there for four hours (no, I'm not kidding). Turnout was great too. The thing that struck me most was that the participants were a completely different subset of of people than the usual suspects at our monthly events. I knew four people when I got there, but I felt like I had a bunch of new friends by the time I left. I'll be putting this event on my calendar from now on! Most interesting thing was despite the fact that there were some seriously hopped up cars there (CSP miatas, blown Civics, a 330+ HP Masdaspeed 3, an ASP Viper and a variety of other monsters), the fastest time of day was held by a G Stock Acura Integra until the last few runs. Yes, I mean raw time, not PAX'd time. Pretty funny.

Edit: BTW, Carl, great job driving the Mercedes! You got that thing around the course much faster than I thought possible, given the size and weight of that thing. When I first saw it, I thought you were just screwing around, but I was straightened out pretty quickly!
==============
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Definitely fun. Weird weekend, too! I decided not to do the 2nd day - no way I was going to push 100% like I usually like, not as much room for error as I originally thought (newb mistake on my part). I should have known better, but when you only get a few runs, you tend to go for broke.

I'd also like to thank everyone who put on the event, especially Pat and the crew for towing my car out of dirt & Tom for clean up help & making sure I was okay. There were a few mishaps on the course (apologies to the 2nd group workers) but everyone made it out okay. Glad to see David B. is okay - saw him on the 395 on the way home earlier today.

Afternoon run group:

After getting the car cleaned up - for those who don't know, I wiped out the first run @ the chicago box (totally overestimated my abilities to get thru that section); driver's okay, car's okay, pride's hurt a lil bit:

Final parade lap for Craig - orange & black #7 mustang:

2048 pixel wide version of panorama
11556 pixel wide version (full size - 4MB, so be patient) of panorama

More pics from event:
http://www.bewbews.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=2491

EDIT:
video up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJov7vGiVqk
Last edited by Q V on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Baltazar
Car#: 591

Post by Robert Baltazar »

So how crashed? I hope they are ok.
Thanks Robert
1991 turbo RX7 12.4 111.18 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeEuCbcNUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal speedway 1.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhunwtiGLk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Earl Merz
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

this was the largest Lone Pine I had been to. It was great to see everyone out there. The battle between Bret in the GS Acura and Mike in the AS Evo8 was classic. They both drove awesome. The civic finally killed off two of its tires after 3 years of multiple drivers. I'm glad to hear most of you had fun. I sure did.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

I wonder if Bret knows the Integras finally moved down to HS in the April Fast track! (Bahhh!!! after I finally broke down bought a new car to Solo)
Carl Vanderschuit

Had a Great Time at the Lone Pine event. Thanks again all for making it possible. Such a deal, two days of fun including dinners, good competition and new friends.
Took pics of just about everybody racing. Enjoy. http://carlv.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Video too http://www.vimeo.com/4975690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Love the quality of your photos Carl! ... thanks for sharing them ... especially the shots of Renee's ceremony.
Philip Strong

Post by Philip Strong »

Will results be posted anytime soon? Bret had a great time - much thanks to all who made it happen.